Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Marchionne blames design 'dummies' for poor Chrysler 200 reception

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-16, 04:08 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
But the major design error on the new 200, IMO, was in dropping the convertible. The convertible was probably the best thing about the previous design (perhaps the only good thing about it LOL). It was a decent-sized convertible that, unlike most of today's ragtops, actually offered room in the back for two adults. Most convertibles can only squeeze small kids in back (if that)? because of the space needed for the fold-down roof. It also, unlike many ragtops that size, had an affordable price. Now, of course, Chrysler has lost that market, and the upcoming Buick Cascada convertible, though a little smaller than the 200, is set to grab the former Chrysler convertible market.
Do you really think FCA's precarious financial situation called for them to invest in engineering the CUSW platform to create a convertible? There is no scale elsewhere in the FCA lineup to help amortize the cost and the platform wasn't created with a convertible in mind. Buick had the situation much easier with being able to pluck the Cascada from Opel.
Old 01-27-16, 04:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Do you really think FCA's precarious financial situation called for them to invest in engineering the CUSW platform to create a convertible? There is no scale elsewhere in the FCA lineup to help amortize the cost and the platform wasn't created with a convertible in mind. Buick had the situation much easier with being able to pluck the Cascada from Opel.

True, but at the same time, previous Chrysler Lebaron/Sebring/200 convertibles, despite their (admittedly) shoddy construction and convertible flex-problems, proved quite popular, and the potential market was probably there to recover the outlay. Now, GM is going to get the sales instead. Of course, FCA will get some sales from the upcoming Fiat 124 Spyder (essentially a redone Mazda Miata with a different engine)......but that is a different, smaller two-seat convertible sports car that appeals to a totally different (and smaller) buyer-base. And, the Miata itself is likely to take the majority of even those sales simply by being better-known in the U.S.
Old 01-27-16, 04:24 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

The Sebring and LeBaron convertibles enjoyed sales success, but by the time the 200 vert rolled along the convertible market shrunk significantly. That's the other thing- the convertible market is a shadow of its former self and is projected to continue to dwindle. I just don't think the numbers were there. It's the same reason VW is barely investing in Eos updates...it's just not worth it.
Old 01-27-16, 04:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
The Sebring and LeBaron convertibles enjoyed sales success, but by the time the 200 vert rolled along the convertible market shrunk significantly. That's the other thing- the convertible market is a shadow of its former self and is projected to continue to dwindle. I just don't think the numbers were there. It's the same reason VW is barely investing in Eos updates...it's just not worth it.
No problem. I respect your opinion. And these are (and other factors) are the things that marketers and budget-people at auto companies have to debate and consider before they commit (or not commit) development-dollars. My own opinion was that they should have went ahead with a new convertible instead of just handing it to GM, but there is also a opposing case, as you have argued.
Old 01-27-16, 04:33 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

True. I mostly wish I could see the financial projections and figures made them decide to forgo the vert. I'm sure they at least considered it.
Old 01-27-16, 04:38 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Lots of comments here, BTW, from posters, about what a POS the 200 is. Don't mix apples and oranges, though. That WAS true of the last 200, and its Dodge Stratus counterpart. But, except for the roofline, one or two minor design goofs inside, and not carrying forward the old convertible (which IMO was a mistake), the new 200 is FAR better than the old one in almost every way....especially with the V6 and the new transmission.
Being better than the old 200 isn't really saying much... While the 200 might be great with a V6 and transmission, no one is buying that one. Around LA, we have a game at the office, to see if anyone can find a non-rental car 200. If you ever see one on the streets, it's nearly a locked in guarantee that it'll have the barcodes and no smoking sticker on the windows.
Old 01-27-16, 05:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Being better than the old 200 isn't really saying much... While the 200 might be great with a V6 and transmission, no one is buying that one. Around LA, we have a game at the office, to see if anyone can find a non-rental car 200. If you ever see one on the streets, it's nearly a locked in guarantee that it'll have the barcodes and no smoking sticker on the windows.
I agree sales could be better......it doesn't seem very popular even here in the D.C. region, which is one of the largest car-markets in the country outside of SoCal. I think what has happened (as is often the case when a vehicle with consistently poor quality for years suddenly improves) is that a lot of people tend to live in the past. Hyundai and Kia, though they haven't built junk for well over 10 years now (actually closer to 15), are still a pariah to some buyers even today. The old convertible, though, was popular, not for quality (like other former Chrysler products, it was shoddily built), but because of its relative spaciousness by convertible standards, versatility, and affordable price.
Old 01-27-16, 08:41 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I dunno, the Sebring and Caliber before it were just awful
Haha. I did have the caliber for a week, which was pretty awful too. The 200 I drove had this gas pedal lag that was extremely bad. When you press the throttle, there is a slight wait time before the engine responds to you. This also applies when you're on the gas and let off the throttle completely. Such a bad sensation and inexcusable in a modern car
Old 01-28-16, 07:03 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I guess it makes Marchionne the bigger dummy for signing off on the product and approving it for production.
Old 01-28-16, 07:50 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

As I understand it, the convertible 200 was dropped from the line a couple years back until the basic sedan could be solidified. The 'vert is going to be a whole different animal and it shows Chrysler's reasonable approach in ironing out the problems in the basic vehicle before they attempt an almost-total makeover. As an old product-planner, I understand the advantages of working out the basics before you start to make big changes to the platform.

Now it was reported in Europe some time back that the '17 Chrysler 200 convertible, rather than being based on the existing 200 platform would make a bigger commitment to the sporty market by basing it on the Lancia. The Lancia Thema has been sold in Europe that is basically a Chrysler 300 as finished in Italy for the past few years. The real secret of the Thema is not so much its Mopar/Daimler-Benz bloodline, but its engine. Yeah, it could be a Ferrari in the near future - the 308 to be specific; taking over from the present Mopar V6 or Euro diesel V6. So will we see a Chrysler/Fiat/Mercedes/Ferrari this side of the Adriatic?

Probably not . . . although there may be a bit of this hybrid's DNA injected into the Chrysler lineup over the next two years. I wouldn't expect it to incorporate the Lancia engines because they are finely tuned little Swiss watches and these jewel-like motors might not last long in regular service on American freeways. Sized to meet European tax laws, they depend on turbos and rather exotic valvetrains to squeeze out the horses required to be considered "sporty" - but the Ferrari - because of its customer base that doesn't pay taxes anyway - really doesn't care about the added cost. They go and they handle - what else do you need?

Would the Ferrari engine show up here in an amalgam of European exotic and American proletarian? I wouldn't bet on it - it's still far to expensive to manufacture for middle $25-$35K US market. Still some of the equine features might leak into an American powerplant . . . it is the stuff dreams are made of . . .

Last edited by Lil4X; 01-28-16 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-28-16, 09:42 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of comments here, BTW, from posters, about what a POS the 200 is. Don't mix apples and oranges, though. That WAS true of the last 200, and its Dodge Stratus counterpart. But, except for the roofline, one or two minor design goofs inside, and not carrying forward the old convertible (which IMO was a mistake), the new 200 is FAR better than the old one in almost every way....especially with the V6 and the new transmission.
That doesn't matter. Sure it's light years ahead of its predecessors, but it's all relative to the market and at the end of the day the 200 still trailed heavily in powertrain refinement, rear space, and reliability relative to the competition.
Old 01-28-16, 10:29 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

working at a dealership getting lots of trade ins I had my fair share of experience with 200s, even though most Chrysler products are junk I have somewhat of a curiosity with them...

the last 200 was a dreadful, depressing hunk of trash in every trim level, but if it really is a total redesign ill give them the benefit of a doubt. the ghetto bling special 300C is a damn fun absolute blast to drive when its got the V8 in it, even if it has pitiful fit and finish. ill wait till one shows up in our trade-in lot and take it for a ride, and then judge.
Old 01-28-16, 10:31 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

I oddly liked the Intrepid too
yeah not sure why the odd fascination with those. especially the ones from the early 2000s. I hardly see them anymore.
Old 01-28-16, 11:12 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I oddly liked the Intrepid too
I had an Intrepid company car back in the day and surprisingly not a bad car for its time. Overall though the company didn't have very good luck with them.
Old 01-28-16, 07:02 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Was never a fan of anything Dodge, but even I was surprised when they announced they are canning the 200 and Dart. Granted they are most likely big piles of crud, but that hasn't stopped Dodge from pushing this type of garbage product before.

Quick Reply: Marchionne blames design 'dummies' for poor Chrysler 200 reception