Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Marchionne blames design 'dummies' for poor Chrysler 200 reception

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-16, 06:10 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Marchionne blames design 'dummies' for poor Chrysler 200 reception

This one is dedicated to Mike (mmarshall)...

I like the new Chrysler 200. In fact, we have one in the office this week, and every time I see it outside, I think to myself, "That's a really good looking car." But truly good automotive design allows form to perfectly blend with function, and that's where the 200 falls short – so short, in fact, that Chrysler's midsize sedan has yet to earn a full recommendation from the folks at Consumer Reports.

The problem? That slick roof design. During an interview at the Detroit Auto Show this month, Fiat-Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne said the 200's rear roofline compromised ingress and egress from the rear seats, and that's why CR can't fully recommend it. "The 200 failed because somebody thought that the rear-seat entry point inside the 200 – which is our fault, by the way – is not up to snuff," Marchionne said to Automotive News.

Marchionne went on to say that FCA's designers copied the roofline of the Hyundai Sonata, which "has the same problem." He continued, "We didn't copy the car, we copied the entry point to the rear seat. Dummies. I acknowledge it."

Harsh words, but Marchionne isn't alone in his sentiments. FCA design boss Ralph Gilles tweeted today, "He is right, we might have gone too aggressively after aero. Which we achieved as it is best in class. No free lunch."

So yes, the 200 looks good. But following this incident, perhaps a redesign will ditch that sloping roof for something that's a bit more functional.
Source: Autoblog

Mike has been harping on this subject for a while now. I have to say (now) that I agree with Mike.

You must feel some vindication, Mike, now that a major (and outspoken) automaker CEO agrees with you!
Old 01-27-16, 06:54 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

lets face it, the Chrysler 200 is an awful car, just like its original, the sebring. meh. I don't think there is any way to make it desirable.
Old 01-27-16, 07:28 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rear roofline? That surely isn't the only problem...

Old 01-27-16, 08:04 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

honestly I think its a nice looking sedan....but no way I would buy one unless it was just a crazy stupid deal over an Accord/Sonata/Civic/etc.

CR's take...

Old 01-27-16, 08:24 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

good styling? I think it already looks dated by 5 years!!
Old 01-27-16, 08:27 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I actually think it's a beautifully styled car, but as a mid size family sedan, it needs some more priority on packaging to be competitive. I also suspect its reputation/name may hold it back.
Old 01-27-16, 08:49 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
honestly I think its a nice looking sedan....but no way I would buy one unless it was just a crazy stupid deal over an Accord/Sonata/Civic/etc.
According to TrueCar, a FWD I-4 Chrysler 200 can be had for less than $20k, which is less than competitive Accords, Sonatas, and Camry (the three fetch about $22k for similar trim).
Old 01-27-16, 08:52 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Function over form for midsize sedans. Maybe thats why all mid-sizers are bubble shaped now Form over function for the RWD sports sedans though...my IS350 barely has a useable back seat
Old 01-27-16, 08:55 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ I think its the way it drives might also be hampering sales. I've read a review of the basic 4 cylinder car(what most people buy) saying the handling was rather boaty, the transmission never knew what gear to be in and shifts were slow(common complaint of the ZF 9 speed automatic), the brakes were spongy, acceleration was just okay, it was loud, fuel economy isn't as good as its competitors, etc.
Old 01-27-16, 09:10 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I was one of the biggest supporters of the 200 but this market is hyper competitive and the volume model, the 2.4L I4, is killing its sales. The car is fundamentally good in a class of great cars.

Originally Posted by Stereorob
lets face it, the Chrysler 200 is an awful car, just like its original, the sebring. meh. I don't think there is any way to make it desirable.
That's not true at all. Not one review has claimed that it's bad or anywhere near the quality of the last-gen. This class requires no obvious weaknesses and the 200's are unfortunately readily apparent in volume model form. The Pentastar-equipped model is a lot better but only accounts for a small percentage of sales.

Originally Posted by Aron9000
^ I think its the way it drives might also be hampering sales. I've read a review of the basic 4 cylinder car(what most people buy) saying the handling was rather boaty, the transmission never knew what gear to be in and shifts were slow(common complaint of the ZF 9 speed automatic), the brakes were spongy, acceleration was just okay, it was loud, fuel economy isn't as good as its competitors, etc.
This is what annoys me the most. Marchionne glossed right over that the fact that the Tigershark 2.4L I4 is woefully outclassed. It's drunk on fuel, loud, and was paired with a 9-speed ZF transmission that just now got completely fixed for 2016.
Old 01-27-16, 09:44 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a 200 for rental and it was the worst engine / transmission combo I've ever driven. It felt as slow / bad as the chevy cruz I had on another trip and the cruz is another class of car.

Styling is fantastic tho.

Also drove like a boat, steering super light and lots of dead zone.
Old 01-27-16, 09:56 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

I wouldn't even consider a chevy cruz as a real car. cant even see them driving down the road. downright hateful things they are. driving one angers me and makes me want to punch people.
Old 01-27-16, 10:02 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I wouldn't even consider a chevy cruz as a real car. cant even see them driving down the road. downright hateful things they are. driving one angers me and makes me want to punch people.
Man that's a lot of hate for what I think is a good(not great) car. I'd take a Cruze any day of the week over a Focus or the last gen Corolla. It has a really solid feel both in the way its constructed, the way it rides, its quiet, basically it doesn't feel like the bad old days GM. Plus I like the styling and interior layout.
Old 01-27-16, 10:05 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez
I had a 200 for rental and it was the worst engine / transmission combo I've ever driven. It felt as slow / bad as the chevy cruz I had on another trip and the cruz is another class of car.

Styling is fantastic tho.

Also drove like a boat, steering super light and lots of dead zone.
The 200 with the 4-cyl engine must be absolutely terrible then. I had a Cruz rental last year that I thought was not that bad, definitely better than a 2013(?) Malibu I had once as another rental.
Old 01-27-16, 10:09 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Man that's a lot of hate for what I think is a good(not great) car. I'd take a Cruze any day of the week over a Focus or the last gen Corolla. It has a really solid feel both in the way its constructed, the way it rides, its quiet, basically it doesn't feel like the bad old days GM. Plus I like the styling and interior layout.
+1, nothing wrong with a Cruz, unless you have LEXUS tattoo'd on your azz j/k

Quick Reply: Marchionne blames design 'dummies' for poor Chrysler 200 reception