Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

the new "Top Gear"

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-16, 06:54 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I'm not sure I understand your point...I don't see the correlation between CL's posting guidelines and the comedy presented on a TV show.

CL has the right to limit the content of what gets expressed on their forum. The BBC has the right to limit the content of what he's expressed on its airwaves. The point here is that for years they allowed this content to be expressed, then cried foul when it was brought to their attention by critics and blamed Clarkson, then continued to allow it to be scripted and expressed.

If the BBC had simply not allowed that content originally that would have been a different matter.
The BBC had the power all along to censor it or discourage it and chose ratings over "morals". The honorable thing for them to do here is to retire "Top Gear" and concede that they lost this battle.
Old 07-05-16, 07:25 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
The BBC had the power all along to censor it or discourage it and chose ratings over "morals". The honorable thing for them to do here is to retire "Top Gear" and concede that they lost this battle.
Yes. It's the BBC's fault for enabling a white nationalist and part time racist. Hopefully Amazon learned something from this.

Hopefully it comes down to cars and adventures rather than whose fault it was to get ratings from a git-yob who has been made a rich man with his occasional lunacy.
Old 07-05-16, 08:20 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MattyG
Yes. It's the BBC's fault for enabling a white nationalist and part time racist. Hopefully Amazon learned something from this.

Hopefully it comes down to cars and adventures rather than whose fault it was to get ratings from a git-yob who has been made a rich man with his occasional lunacy.
Occasional Lunacy is pushing it.

Old habits are hard to break. Just ask any octogenarian.
Old 07-07-16, 09:02 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG

I find your obsession with the guy fascinating.
Old 07-07-16, 04:39 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I find your obsession with the guy fascinating.
Lol. Perhaps you might look inward towards your obsession with my supposed "obsession".
Old 07-12-16, 05:58 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Now don't get excited old Top Gear fans. I take this with a grain of salt because the BBC is doing some damage control after Evans' controversial departure.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...y-clarkson-bbc

Chris Evans’ Top Gear may have been a ratings flop in the UK, but abroad it is proving to be a bigger hit than Jeremy Clarkson’s version of the show.

Top Gear is considered to be the BBC’s biggest global brand with sales of the TV show, DVDs, books, live shows and other merchandise thought to be worth more than £50m a year.

The head of the corporation’s commercial arm, BBC Worldwide, has said Top Gear remains on track as an international brand.

“I am very happy with programme sales,” said the BBC Worldwide chief executive, Tim Davie. “[Chris Evans’s Top Gear] has sold into over 130 territories which is very strong and marginal growth versus the previous season [Clarkson’s last].”

Davie said that although there had been “ups and downs” with Top Gear’s ratings, the show remains a financial cash cow....
http://jalopnik.com/new-top-gear-did...ear-1783513618

Well, here’s some surprising news: the BBC’s commercial arm reports that, despite the revamped Top Gear’s very negative ratings in the UK, the show was quite well-received internationally.

And by “quite well” I mean that newfangled season 23 actually did better than season 22. “I am very happy with program sales,” said Tim Davie, CEO of the BBC. “[Chris Evans’s Top Gear] has sold into over 130 territories which is very strong and marginal growth versus the previous season [Clarkson’s last].”

Historically, not every single season of Top Gear has been a hit. And even though there have been ups and downs, the BBC insists that the international brand is still “a financial cash cow,” reports The Guardian.

“It is absolutely the case I think that Top Gear remains in very good health,” Davie continued. “It is a work in progress and we will have to see how it goes. I remain optimistic about Top Gear and its growth potential over the coming years.”
Old 07-14-16, 02:53 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Ugh stupid people. Fail, show. Fail!