Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

the new "Top Gear"

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-16, 11:02 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Based on what I've read it sounds like Evans is really the sore thumb. He doesn't get along w/ the rest of the cast and even chided the audience once.

I don't understand why so many people want the new Top Gear to fail (not talking about any posters here, just in general). Clarkson deserved to be fired. He, May, and Hammond will have their own show which will be excellent as expected. If the new Top Gear turns out good then that's awesome we will all have 2 good car shows to watch.
Fired for what, Making an interesting show? Giving the audience what they want? Doing his job?

A knee jerk reaction is what will end up having killed this show off like many other greats.
Old 06-27-16, 06:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I think if you read a lot of the comments out there, they do want the show to fail.

I think a lot of fans, especially younger fans, felt Clarkson's firing was a personal attack on them.
Old 06-27-16, 08:05 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by litesoarer
Fired for what, Making an interesting show? Giving the audience what they want? Doing his job?

A knee jerk reaction is what will end up having killed this show off like many other greats.
I'm not sure if you're aware that he punched a colleague.
Old 06-27-16, 10:02 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Always two sides to a story. Clarkson wouldn't have done it without some kind of antagonization from the producer. All in all I personally think its a small problem to fire someone over. And I do think a lot of people want the new top gear to fail, not so much because the feel its an attack on "them", so much as to show the BBC they made the poor choice of firing him.

I know that we will eventually have the duo when they debut on the amazon show, but we have been without clarkson for more than 2 years. We are deprived of his humor and we can only blame the BBC
Old 06-27-16, 02:56 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Always two sides to a story. Clarkson wouldn't have done it without some kind of antagonization from the producer. All in all I personally think its a small problem to fire someone over. And I do think a lot of people want the new top gear to fail, not so much because the feel its an attack on "them", so much as to show the BBC they made the poor choice of firing him.

I know that we will eventually have the duo when they debut on the amazon show, but we have been without clarkson for more than 2 years. We are deprived of his humor and we can only blame the BBC
You can't punch a co-worker and expect to keep a professional type job that has an HR department, I don't care who you are. Clarkson lost his cool, end of story. Hell he might have even gotten away with it if he(and Top Gear producers/staff) were not already on the BBC executives **** list, but this was the last straw in a long string of "incidents"
Old 06-27-16, 03:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And as you see, the BBC and the crew of TopGear are paying the price for that, not Clarkson. He's been showered with money, new show, vindication with TopGear doing so poorly without him.

This is the point when it comes to these sorts of situations. Jeremy Clarkson isn't some guy who works in the marketing department and HR came down on him for this altercation. This punished everyone but Jeremy Clarkson lol.

It's basically closing the company down because the guy in marketing punched somebody. How does everybody else who works there feel about that?
Old 06-27-16, 05:45 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well you have to remember that this thread was started by a fan of Clarkson and old Top Gear, so really you're tilting at windmills with this crowd. Minor technicalities about assault or some such stuff are not important for purposes of entertainment edification.
Old 06-27-16, 07:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just look at the result. The folks at the BBC have their integrity, that's about all they have. Sometimes the "right road" is a lonely road.

At the end of all of this the BBC is going to be the only entity that suffers.
Old 06-27-16, 07:59 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

And being a racist, violent buffoon gets you millions in the bank along with public adulation. Not Trump, but Clarkson

I'm warming up to the current lineup but Evans still looks stilted and uncomfortable with his role, unlike his co-presenters. The car reviews are good and the challenges look more like short feature films than the stupid contests of old. The show's getting better, bit by bit.
Old 06-27-16, 08:16 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

I don't care.
Old 06-27-16, 08:20 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chromedome
And being a racist, violent buffoon gets you millions in the bank along with public adulation. Not Trump, but Clarkson

I'm warming up to the current lineup but Evans still looks stilted and uncomfortable with his role, unlike his co-presenters. The car reviews are good and the challenges look more like short feature films than the stupid contests of old. The show's getting better, bit by bit.
Racist is such an overused term these days that it truly lacks meaning anymore. Many, myself included want nothing more than for those who continue to play victim and use this word to paint themselves into a corner over the proverbial crying of wolf. (and it will happen)
Old 06-27-16, 08:40 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Look back at all the controversial statements Clarkson has made on Top Gear over the years. The infamous "slope" episode?

Anyway, if you don't care that Clarkson attacked a colleague, then gods help us. If the BBC kept Clarkson onboard after that incident, it would've been seen as covering up for a tyrannical figure who was raking in the cash. The BBC is a corporation funded by the British public. What kind of message would be sent to the public if a violent intern could be fired on the spot whereas a violent TV personality could be treated with kid gloves?

Last edited by chromedome; 06-27-16 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-27-16, 08:54 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chromedome
Look back at all the controversial statements Clarkson has made on Top Gear over the years. The infamous "slope" episode?

Anyway, if you don't care that Clarkson attacked a colleague, then gods help us. If the BBC kept Clarkson onboard after that incident, it would've been seen as covering up for a tyrannical figure who was raking in the cash. The BBC is a corporation funded by the British public. What kind of message would be sent to the public if a violent intern could be fired on the spot whereas a violent TV personality could be treated with kid gloves?
Controversy is what makes TV fun. But of course the PC Pansies can't stomach that.
Old 06-27-16, 09:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

people hear what they want to hear, just like a lot of comments here people take them as attack on the lexus brands, but out there others think it's just facts about what's going on.

i read just as many hopeful posts about the new top gear show until the host(s) were annouced
Old 06-27-16, 09:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And again, the BBC edited the show and left every one of these Clarkson "gaffes" in the final cut. They could have very easily edited them out but they didn't. Why? Because they're funny and they wanted the ratings. They wanted to be able to rake in the cash and yet still wave a finger at Clarkson when the heat got turned up. The thing was entirely within their own control the whole time.

The BBC "is funded by the British public", well overwhelmingly the will of the British public was not to fire Clarkson. What was it over 1 Million signatures on the petition? By the way the new show barely has twice that many viewers now lol. Next week it will have even fewer.

Again, the only victim is the BBC and the viewers. Clarkson's laughing all the way to the bank.

Quick Reply: the new "Top Gear"