Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

the new "Top Gear"

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-16, 03:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Im down for less challenges, more features, and enough with the old crotchety white male hosts. Change it up a little . Honestly if Motor Trend would do more reviews Id be happy without Top Gear. Still waiting . At this rate I pissed away my amazon prime subscription. Thankfully I order online stuff all the time
Old 04-01-16, 03:14 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The cinematography is the same. You can see the same sorts of "challenges" with them driving hand built and weird vehicles in strange situations.
Cinematography being the same is a good thing IMO....

but you're right...silly challenges only worked w/the original crew - to have these guys try to do it is stupid.....hopefully they won't try to 100% duplicate.
Old 04-02-16, 07:27 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I gotta admit...hearing this stuff makes me a little happy lol.

What I love about Clarkson is that he isn't PC. People are too PC, take themselves too seriously. He pokes plenty of fun at middle aged fat white guys too but nobody notices that.

My issue with the BBC Is that the show was never live. They edited it, and they left this "controversial" stuff in. Then when it blows up they blame Clarkson, all the while continuing to leave it in and blame him after the fact, and after they have profited.

Basically, that makes them a bunch of cowards. They want to profit from the envelope being pushed, but are unwilling to stand up to the negative reactions that brings with it.
Best point on the topic! They wanted it both ways
Old 04-03-16, 12:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Agreed. It was never about the cinematography or even really the cars. It was about Clarkson, May, and Hammond, and their stunts and their chemistry
i don't think it wasn't about the cinematography completely... i for one loved to watch the show for spectacular visuals, editing, scenery... really great. agree the 'antics' of the 3 stooges were the biggest part of the show though.
Old 04-03-16, 08:07 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Certainly the BBC version will still have great cinematography and production standards, since it's the BBC after all. You just insert your talking heads into it and make sure they have personality and an established audience, and that will attract fans.

The real question is, how much patience will Amazon have if the old guys don't do well on their new Amazon version?

How long will the bosses hang on? Originally, the charm of the Clarkson and Co. Top Gear, even with its casual racism was that it was different, appealed to the silly nonsense of YouTube stunts, while still showcasing stuff that car people of all ages could appreciate. You get the demographic sweet spot all around.

Now they have to compete against their own team in a different version. And Amazon ain't the BBC. A lot of other parts of their business that are growing.

Right now Amazon's signing leases on cargo aircraft to start up their own version of FedEx and UPS - dedicating package delivery. They gotta a lotta stuff on their plate. If push came to shove, you go to your core business.
Old 04-03-16, 08:28 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i would think they would have WAY more freedom on show material with Amazon than they did at the PC BBC
Old 04-03-16, 08:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

There's not a lot of pressure on their Amazon show at all. Subscription streaming services like this have a very different benchmark for success. Look at Howard Stern on Sirius. A small fraction of his old listeners signed up for the service but they consider it a runaway success, re-signed him, etc.

Jeff Bezos has very deep pockets, and he's not worried about seeing a return for his investment immediately. Amazon has seldom shown a profit, yet look at the investment.
Old 04-04-16, 08:34 AM
NRX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gotta admit...hearing this stuff makes me a little happy lol.

What I love about Clarkson is that he isn't PC. People are too PC, take themselves too seriously. He pokes plenty of fun at middle aged fat white guys too but nobody notices that.

My issue with the BBC Is that the show was never live. They edited it, and they left this "controversial" stuff in. Then when it blows up they blame Clarkson, all the while continuing to leave it in and blame him after the fact, and after they have profited.

Basically, that makes them a bunch of cowards. They want to profit from the envelope being pushed, but are unwilling to stand up to the negative reactions that brings with it.
Who? The Brits? Ya don't say!

Last edited by NRX; 04-04-16 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-04-16, 11:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by NRX
Who? The Brits? Ya don't say!

No comment otherwise lol
Old 04-04-16, 08:43 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
i would think they would have WAY more freedom on show material with Amazon than they did at the PC BBC
Here's the thing with that. The PC BBC also made the Top Gear trio with its massive infrastructure and reach. Not sure what PC means when accusations of bias first surfaced during the show's run at the supposedly "PC" BBC.

It took one inappropriate slap to undo it all. How long before Clarkson melts down again with new found freedom? It's not actually about "PC", it's about PR and spin-stories to bolster your fans.

The internet is a lot of things but it's also a very fickle partner. Things don't work out. You're a hot potato that gets dropped real quick. The BBC on the other hand, is always there and always will be there - for good or bad.

Amazon Prime? I won't sign up for a bunch of ole guys smack-talkin about dis and dat. If Amazon wants my business outside of the US market, then you need to offer me more than three ole farts running around doing YT stunts for Millenials.

Top Gear's majority audience is in fact located outside of the US market where Netflix, Amazon copyright rules mean you don't get premium stuff - it's geo-blocked and restricted. If you want to pay Amazon for just one show, well that's up to the consumer.
Old 04-04-16, 09:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Had he been anywhere else but the BBC his "meltdown" wouldn't have blown up the show.

Show us an example where an Internet streaming service dropped a big name show because it failed to live up to expectations? One example.

The show will do fine, and plenty of people will watch. Amazon doesn't really care if they do or don't. In any event it's a 3 year contract. There WILL be 36 episodes of this show. After which time who's to say Clarkson Hammomd and May even want to continue? They were going to sin one more 3 year deal with the BBC and retire.

Please also show us your source for the statement that the "majority" of TopGear's audience is in areas where Amazons copyright rules geo block and restrict access to premium content. Please also reference these copyright rules specifically.

As for targeting being an issue, the only demographic broadcasters really care about IS millennials.
Old 04-05-16, 12:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

As for targeting being an issue, the only demographic broadcasters really care about IS millennials.
Unfortunately, though the Millenials are probably not as aloof on the issue as the generation that came after them (the ones in their teen-age years today), those Millenials still on the upper-end of a large group of people that just were not (and are not) as interested in cars as people like you and me. They, in general, are just too wedded to their electronic devices, which, in their lives, have taken the place of the freedoms that a car used to represent to you and me.
Old 04-05-16, 12:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Unfortunately, though the Millenials are probably not as aloof on the issue as the generation that came after them (the ones in their teen-age years today), those Millenials still on the upper-end of a large group of people that just were not (and are not) as interested in cars as people like you and me. They, in general, are just too wedded to their electronic devices, which, in their lives, have taken the place of the freedoms that a car used to represent to you and me.
Thats true to an extent, yet Top Gear does very well with a millennial audience.
Old 04-05-16, 03:15 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
tell me about it... i'm technically a "weird one" because i care about my car and bother to learn all about it's features and how to fix it, should there be a problem. it's a real double edged sword the smartphone...
Old 04-05-16, 05:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Thats true to an extent, yet Top Gear does very well with a millennial audience.
it's as much (if not more so) an entertainment show than a serious car production. Actually, iMO, some of the best Top Gear episodes were filmed when Jay Leno was a guest on the show. To put together two classic automotive comedians like Leno and Clarkson in the same room was truly something to watch LOL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-05-16 at 05:23 PM.

Quick Reply: the new "Top Gear"