Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lease maintenance question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-16, 02:01 PM
Beer4me
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lease maintenance question

Can I skip the first 5k maintenance on my new lease, or is every maintenance mandatory? I ask because because the first maintenance is tire rotation (they can't even do that on F-sport) and inspect, and top off fluids which seems like a real waste of my time. The oil/filter change occurs at 10k. Thanks.
Old 01-23-16, 02:05 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

You can skip it if you want, but it's free so why not. This is usually the service that people get certain things programmed such as the ability to open windows with key fob, but I suppose you could wait until 10K miles.

I don't do the 15K, 25K, and 35K because those are the same useless services for a car that can't rotate tires. It won't void your warranty or get you in trouble with Lexus.
Old 01-23-16, 02:33 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

No maintenance is mandatory, it's just part of the Lexus experience if you prefer to do it their way. If it's free, do it, if not then take it to your trusted Indy Mech and enter the maintenance info manually into your Lexus ownership record online.
Old 01-24-16, 06:54 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Disclaimer should be OP has a RWD. They can/will rotate the tires on the AWD models.
Old 01-25-16, 06:54 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

In my opinion, the first 5k is pretty critical. It's the shakedown period where everything that's bolted down and machined to tolerance really gets tested in the real world. If anything went wrong at the factory, it should become evident in the first 5k. Plus, it's a free service. I did it, and I advise others to do it. It will cost you maybe an hour of your time.
Old 01-26-16, 12:26 AM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maintenance is definietly not mandatory.
At 5k miles says you need tire rotation which you cannot rate on Fsport model
Ans top of fluids I doubt fluid levels are low @ 5k its great to check at home though. Big waste of time to drive to dealer they make you wait 1-2hour when all the car needs is 10-15min inspection. And then they bill the manufacture that 2 hour labor that took 10-15min.

Oil / filter every 10k is the way to go.
Thats all you even need to do on a lease anyways.

Last edited by xRYD3Rx; 01-26-16 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-26-16, 05:27 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Beer4me
Can I skip the first 5k maintenance on my new lease, or is every maintenance mandatory? I ask because because the first maintenance is tire rotation (they can't even do that on F-sport) and inspect, and top off fluids which seems like a real waste of my time. The oil/filter change occurs at 10k. Thanks.
Drop it off, take the loaner, grab a coffee and a snack, and be on your way until the end of the day. In fact, when I had a Lexus, my dealer would come out to my office and pick up my car for any service at all, no matter how minor. I didn't even need to take the time to drive out there--no snack though .
Old 01-26-16, 12:36 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Man 10,000 miles is a long oil change interval. If you did a lot of short trips in the winter where the engine never warmed up(ie less than 5 miles), that oil would be dead long before 10k miles.

If it were my car and I planned to keep it long term, I'd be changing oil ever 5 to 6k miles. Granted some might say that is a waste of money, but then again 10 years later and your car has 250k miles, doesn't use oil, and runs like a new car, I'd say it was money well spent.

I'm just critical of the phenomenon of manufacturers extending the oil change intervals right about the same time that they started offering free maintenance. BMW is having all kinds of issues with their twin turbo V8's because of the extended oil change intervals, Toyota has a pretty lousy track record with engine oil sludge caused by not changing the oil often enough(I know that doesn't effect newer models but still)

But yeah, if its a lease and you are going to turn it in, I'd say screw it and follow that 10k mile interval.
Old 01-26-16, 04:43 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Man 10,000 miles is a long oil change interval. If you did a lot of short trips in the winter where the engine never warmed up(ie less than 5 miles), that oil would be dead long before 10k miles.

If it were my car and I planned to keep it long term, I'd be changing oil ever 5 to 6k miles. Granted some might say that is a waste of money, but then again 10 years later and your car has 250k miles, doesn't use oil, and runs like a new car, I'd say it was money well spent.

I'm just critical of the phenomenon of manufacturers extending the oil change intervals right about the same time that they started offering free maintenance. BMW is having all kinds of issues with their twin turbo V8's because of the extended oil change intervals, Toyota has a pretty lousy track record with engine oil sludge caused by not changing the oil often enough(I know that doesn't effect newer models but still)

But yeah, if its a lease and you are going to turn it in, I'd say screw it and follow that 10k mile interval.
100% agree with you. I change the oil on my 14 & 16 Toyota Corolla every 5k miles with mobil 1 and toyota filter + i use premium gas. Want to keep my car running great for 10+ years.
Old 01-26-16, 05:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
It's 6 months or 10k. So not a big deal if you have short trips.
Old 01-26-16, 05:32 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm wondering about the same thing on my new car.

I only have just shy of 1k miles, but here is the strange thing: my car has the first maintenance minder at 10k I think, according to the wrench symbol that pops up. Or at least it is counting down from 10k.

However, the book shows 5k or six months and only fluid check, tire rotation, wiper check and test drive unless I taxi, tow or use my car as police cruiser, which I don't. I also haven't driven in dusty conditions, driven at low speeds for extended period of times, let my car idle for extended period of times or any of the other disclaimers listed in the manual that would require an oil change.

It's not that I don't care about my car as I do, but I hate sitting in the dealership if all they're going to do is check fluids, wiper blades and rotate tires (and frankly, I hate those tires and would be happy if they were off my vehicle to begin with).
Old 01-26-16, 05:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beer4me
Lexus has their tire rotations every 5k whereas Toyota with sometimes the exact same platform/tire has it every 10k. Not sure why but looks like a money grab on Lexus or a way of making sure tires last long enough to pass Lexus Certified pre owned criteria.
Old 01-26-16, 08:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Technology moves ever forward. Modern synthetic oils are so good, modern engines don't wear and contaminate oil like they used to. There are plenty of oil analyses out there that show 10k miles for changes is not only safe, but actually conservative...
Old 01-26-16, 09:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xRYD3Rx
100% agree with you. I change the oil on my 14 & 16 Toyota Corolla every 5k miles with mobil 1 and toyota filter + i use premium gas. Want to keep my car running great for 10+ years.
The 14 Corolla uses the same SAE0W-20 oil as the 16 and has oil changes at 5k. But the 16 has them at 10k, but everything is still the same.

Does Toyota or Lexus charge the same, less or maybe even more(lol) for the 5k service that has no oil change?
Old 01-26-16, 09:51 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Take it in. Looks better on your record if you decide to sell it privately for a profit (instead of turning it in).
Plus you get the perks at the dealer, food, loaner, car washed, etc. Why not spend a little time around other gleaming Lexi and enjoy yourself? You already paid for this through the window sticker and signing on the dotted line.

Quick Reply: Lease maintenance question