Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

what is the lowest you have let your gas tank been?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-16, 02:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Another reason it is not a good idea to let the fuel tank get low is that, if the fuel pump is not in the tank, fuel could slosh around on sharp cornering or on some bumps, which could momentarily un-port the hole in the tank where the gas runs into the fuel-lines. If that happens, the engine could hiccup or stall.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-29-16 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-22-16, 02:52 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Another reason it is not a good idea to let the fuel tank get low is that, if the fuel pump is not in the tank, fuel could slosh around on sharp cornering or on some bumps, which could momentarily un-port the hole in the tank where the gas runs into the fuel-ones. If that happens, the engine could hiccup or stall.
I hate it when my car gets the hiccups!
Old 01-23-16, 11:14 AM
hellomian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I was running low the other night but didn't want to get off in that area so I kept going. I read on CL that someone drove the same model another 20 miles after it shows 0. So I wasn't too worried going.
Good thing to know ..it turned 0 about half a mile from the gas station and I was trippin. But maybe it isn't good that u said it..cause now I'll go 0 and keep going lol
Old 01-23-16, 11:31 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus
Forum Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

most I ever used was 19.1 gal in the SC. the SC has a 20 gal gas tank. I would not dare to go any further lol
Old 01-23-16, 09:39 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Good to know about the fuel pump - I didn't realize that the fuel was actually used as a coolant. I tend not to fill up until I get pretty low because less fuel = less weight. The lowest I got in the IS-F is .8 gallons. I think the miles left hits 0 at around 3.2 gallons left.

I posted on CL before that I only got the LFA down to 0 miles range once (purposefully, to test the remaining gas) - it was just 1.7gal, so a lot less buffer than typical on Lexus vehicles.
Old 01-24-16, 09:45 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 01-24-16, 02:04 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Never knew that. Makes sense.

As an aside, a lot of NX owners (including myself) have pointed out a concern with taking several cranks to start the engine. It turns out this happens when the tank is less than a quarter full and/or on an incline. This makes me think about how much harder the fuel pump (and starter for that matter) is working at startup - all the more reason to keep it above a quarter! Thanks!

Most of us have gotten into the habit of twisting the key and starting the engine in a single motion. If you think about it for a moment, you can get a quicker start most of the time by pausing briefly at the "ign on" position before moving on to "start". I know I catch myself twisting it all the way at once regularly. It's a habit I'm trying to break.

Your fuel pump needs a split second to pressurize the injector system - or deliver fuel to a separate injector pump. If you turn the switch immediately to the "start" position, the engine will turn over a time or two before it can even get fuel to the injectors. It probably doesn't matter on most cars, but particularly if your car hasn't run for several hours, you might get the engine to light off quicker if you give the pump(s) time to get the fuel rail up to full pressure by pausing for an instant at the "on" position before cranking. If you don't have the HVAC fan running or the radio on, you may hear a quick "brup!" from the back row as your fuel pump pressures up.
Old 01-24-16, 11:11 PM
hellomian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Old 01-25-16, 08:44 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X

Most of us have gotten into the habit of twisting the key and starting the engine in a single motion. If you think about it for a moment, you can get a quicker start most of the time by pausing briefly at the "ign on" position before moving on to "start". I know I catch myself twisting it all the way at once regularly. It's a habit I'm trying to break.

Your fuel pump needs a split second to pressurize the injector system - or deliver fuel to a separate injector pump. If you turn the switch immediately to the "start" position, the engine will turn over a time or two before it can even get fuel to the injectors. It probably doesn't matter on most cars, but particularly if your car hasn't run for several hours, you might get the engine to light off quicker if you give the pump(s) time to get the fuel rail up to full pressure by pausing for an instant at the "on" position before cranking. If you don't have the HVAC fan running or the radio on, you may hear a quick "brup!" from the back row as your fuel pump pressures up.
Depends on the car. My E90 actually pressurizes the fuel system when the driver's door is opened-you can hear the slight buzz of the pump very clearly from outside the car. That way there's no delay for fuel when you try to start. Just for the glow plug if it's really cold out
Old 01-25-16, 11:46 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

The lowest I have gone is when my IS estimates the car can drive 4 more miles.

I'm not sure if you really need to keep the car from dropping below 1/4 of a tank. I don't see anything in the manual, and google doesn't seem to have an agreement.
Old 01-25-16, 04:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by nosurprise

I'm not sure if you really need to keep the car from dropping below 1/4 of a tank.
Old 01-25-16, 05:18 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

I would say 1/8 of a tank, I wouldn't know miles as I don't keep miles to empty on the gauge

In rental cars though, definite zero. Some have even blinked
Old 01-25-16, 05:26 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't think I've ever seen the low-fuel warning light ever. When I reach half-tank I'm already starting to think about filling up.

Guess there's just something psychological about having that mass of fuel there even if you don't really need it...you know, just in case. Guess I'm a habitual filler-upper lol.

I wasn't always like this, though. This stems from my years in college and being dead broke and running on fumes and/or running out of gas at the worse possible times (e.g., the day before an exam). I vowed to never let that happen again, lol!
Old 01-25-16, 06:57 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I will never know exactly how low it really got or how far I really drove as, but estimate once light went on back on a trip through the boonies in the mountains in Mexico way back in July 2002 on the way home to Mexico City, light went on and I have to believe it was 30 miles after the light...best guess.
Old 01-25-16, 06:58 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Shambler
I don't think I've ever seen the low-fuel warning light ever. When I reach half-tank I'm already starting to think about filling up.

Guess there's just something psychological about having that mass of fuel there even if you don't really need it...you know, just in case. Guess I'm a habitual filler-upper lol.

I wasn't always like this, though. This stems from my years in college and being dead broke and running on fumes and/or running out of gas at the worse possible times (e.g., the day before an exam). I vowed to never let that happen again, lol!
My buddy's car was stolen back in college. We found it later that day about 3 miles down the road, out of gas

2nd time it was stolen, we weren't so lucky. They found it stripped about two weeks later. Who would've figured that a pos Honda Civic hatch would be such a hot target. He bought a Buick LeSabre to replace it, figured no stupid ricers and Latino gangbangers were buying stolen parts for one of those.

Quick Reply: what is the lowest you have let your gas tank been?