Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bought Porsche 2015 S Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-16, 11:32 AM
SethNaga
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. This is probably why they are discounting. As you may know, having an additional 2 year is a big deal, because, any issue after expiration of 4 year warranty, can be addressed by CPO

I think it costs around 3K to get a CPO, Probably you can get this at a Porsche dealership. Also you need to take the car a good Porsche dealership and get a PPO and confirm that they can provide CPO before buying the car

Originally Posted by ECL
Cannot get a CPO on a Porsche sold by a Mercedes dealer. The car does have the remainder of the four year factory warranty.
Old 01-22-16, 12:39 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SethNaga
Ok. This is probably why they are discounting. As you may know, having an additional 2 year is a big deal, because, any issue after expiration of 4 year warranty, can be addressed by CPO

I think it costs around 3K to get a CPO, Probably you can get this at a Porsche dealership. Also you need to take the car a good Porsche dealership and get a PPO and confirm that they can provide CPO before buying the car
I'd also be looking at what a brake job costs on that car, and how often it needs to be done. As you know, Porsche offers the standard steel brakes and optional carbon ceramic brakes. I think the carbon ceramic brakes are like an $8,000 option. I'd research on the Porsche forum the cost/frequency of both types of brakes needing service and go from there on which ones to buy.

I am betting brake jobs are considered "normal wear/tear" and are not covered under any Porsche warranty(factory warranty or extended CPO). I'm also betting that if you start having to replace rotors or a caliper, you're going to rack up a bill at the dealer that would cost as much as a vacation.
Old 01-22-16, 01:01 PM
SethNaga
Rookie

That is the cost of 'Nirvana'. You have to be prepared to spend if you want to own a Porsche. But I think if you original + CPO, you should be good for 5 + years. Yes, brake job will be required, but it is not just for Porsche.

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I'd also be looking at what a brake job costs on that car, and how often it needs to be done. As you know, Porsche offers the standard steel brakes and optional carbon ceramic brakes. I think the carbon ceramic brakes are like an $8,000 option. I'd research on the Porsche forum the cost/frequency of both types of brakes needing service and go from there on which ones to buy.

I am betting brake jobs are considered "normal wear/tear" and are not covered under any Porsche warranty(factory warranty or extended CPO). I'm also betting that if you start having to replace rotors or a caliper, you're going to rack up a bill at the dealer that would cost as much as a vacation.

Last edited by SethNaga; 01-22-16 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-22-16, 01:16 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

and ccb will 'probably' last the life time of your porsche, unless you track it. So just brake pad changes.

Or if you really want to avoid 10k for 4 rotors, people on the ferrari forums buy new steel rotors and replace them, then put the ceramics back on when it comes to reselling
Old 01-22-16, 02:13 PM
SethNaga
Rookie

Any idea how may miles does the original Brake disc, pads last?

Originally Posted by mikez
and ccb will 'probably' last the life time of your porsche, unless you track it. So just brake pad changes.

Or if you really want to avoid 10k for 4 rotors, people on the ferrari forums buy new steel rotors and replace them, then put the ceramics back on when it comes to reselling
Old 01-22-16, 03:15 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Really depends on your driving habits, but even if every time you drive, you drive it very hard, it should last you at the min 20k miles (no tracking). Rotors should last 2 pad changes. You have the benefit of a very light car!

20k miles might not sound like much, but just for reference I changed the pads on my aston (still OEM rotors) at 19k miles, and 90% of the time I drive my car is for high speed cruises with my other car buddies, or spirited drives on back roads. My original pads still have close to 50% of its life left (decided to go with lower dust options), and my car is heavier than yours.
Old 01-22-16, 03:17 PM
SethNaga
Rookie

Thanks. When it comes to replacing, I will think about CCB. I do many automotive work myself.

Originally Posted by mikez
Really depends on your driving habits, but even if every time you drive, you drive it very hard, it should last you at the min 20k miles (no tracking). Rotors should last 2 pad changes. You have the benefit of a very light car!

20k miles might not sound like much, but just for reference I changed the pads on my aston (still OEM rotors) at 19k miles, and 90% of the time I drive my car is for high speed cruises with my other car buddies, or spirited drives on back roads. My original pads still have close to 50% of its life left (decided to go with lower dust options)
Old 01-22-16, 03:20 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

the ccb rotors are larger than the S's steel rotors, and uses a bigger calipers as well. Not sure if porsche / brembo makes it to the non cab sizes, but if you do go ccb and get them from the OEMs themselves, it will definitely be cheaper than from porsche

Also if you do eventually get ccb rotors, you need to find out what kind of wheel cleaners you can use. A friend of mine who's a professional detailer said some wheel / brake dust cleaners are no go on the ccb, another guy didn't know and it cost him over 10k to replace the rotor for a clients ferrari.
Old 01-22-16, 03:25 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Any idea how may miles does the original Brake disc, pads last?
I sold my last 911 with about 35,000 miles and the original brake pads and discs still in place. That was a few years ago.
Old 01-22-16, 03:47 PM
SethNaga
Rookie

I wish I could do all the Maintenance work myself. Unfortunately, in order to reset gauges,i need to visit Porsche dealerships, as they use Porsche diagnostic computer (Durametric?) and pay ridiculous charges. Never took my Hondas, Nissans to any dealer. I have been doing all the maintnenace work at home

Are there any tools like OBD II connectors that I could use to down load data from the car and reset?
Old 01-22-16, 04:46 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I wish I could do all the Maintenance work myself. Unfortunately, in order to reset gauges,i need to visit Porsche dealerships, as they use Porsche diagnostic computer (Durametric?) and pay ridiculous charges. Never took my Hondas, Nissans to any dealer. I have been doing all the maintnenace work at home

Are there any tools like OBD II connectors that I could use to down load data from the car and reset?
What does this look like, a Porsche forum
Old 01-22-16, 05:26 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Porsche uses PIWIS which is more advance than the Durametric. I have the Durametric Enthusiast and it works fine for clearing/reading Porsche codes. Sometimes I wish I had the Durametric Professional, but it cost too much for how often I use it.