Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Where's the '17 LS?? (now that LC has come out)

Old 01-11-16, 07:30 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 183 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Where's the '17 LS?? (now that LC has come out)

So we know the all-new (finally) LS500 will be available sometime this year as a '17 model. (At least I think so...)

When are we going to see it or learn anything about it??

The LC is disgustingly sick, just wow. But I'm dying to see the new LS also. That car is lonnnnnng overdue for a redesign. Interested to see if the LS can return to superiority in this day and age.
Old 01-11-16, 09:35 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Old 01-11-16, 09:41 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully not too far away, I still remember seeing the current LS at the 2006 Detroit Auto Show. 10 freakin' years later and they're still selling the same car with a few changes here and there!
Old 01-11-16, 10:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Rumor has it the next LS will be aimed more at the XJ, Panamera, Quattroporte and Rapide than traditional competitors like the A8, 7-Series, and S-Class this go around. If the LC with it's exotic look and likely great finesse is any indication of the 5th generation LS which it shares its chassis with, it will likely be a great ride. The LC also uses a 10-Speed transmission, LS will likely follow suit.
Old 01-11-16, 11:11 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a feeling the LS will debut towards the end of the year, or even at next years Detroit show. It has similar styling cues to the LC so the two should be on sale at around the same time. If the LC comes out in 2017, I would expect the LS to also be a 2017/8 model
Old 01-11-16, 11:11 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 183 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Rumor has it the next LS will be aimed more at the XJ, Panamera, Quattroporte and Rapide than traditional competitors like the A8, 7-Series, and S-Class this go around..
I've heard this too, and I hope it's false.

The next LS needs to aim squarely at the S-Class.

Pure luxury before anything else, which is the LS' legacy IMO.
Old 01-11-16, 11:36 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the LC revealed. I have no doubt that Lexus will deliver something close to the LF-FC for the next LS. It NEEDS to be at least the quality of the LC in order to be taken seriously after such a long baking time.
Old 01-12-16, 03:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
this is likely 98% next LS, if we go by LC concept to production... which is great news.
Old 01-12-16, 07:22 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123

i'm glad someone else also thinks that the LS needs to become less sporty. it definitely needs to become faster but more than anything needs to be a soft cruiser with 6-7 gears max and squishy couch cushion seats. i've sat in a new LS and i'd take the seats in my 99 in a heartbeat.
Old 01-12-16, 11:22 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a short write-up in the LC 500 First-Look Review by Motor Trend:

At last October’s Tokyo Motor Show, Lexus showed the LF-FC concept, a strong indication of the style and size of the next-generation LS flagship. When it makes its debut sometime around fall 2017, the LS will be the second vehicle to use Lexus’ new Inertia Spec platform.

Measuring 208.7 inches long, 78.7 inches wide, and 55.6 inches tall, the LF-FC concept is longer (+2.2 inches) and wider (+3.9) than the Mercedes-Benz S550 but noticeably shorter (-3.1), suggesting the Inertia Spec’s lower hip point allowed Lexus to drop the roofline without sacrificing headroom. Lexus didn’t release the FC’s wheelbase, but it will likely grow from that of the current long-wheelbase LS (121.7 inches) to a span closer to the S550’s 124.6, to ensure back-seat room is on par with that of the benchmark Benz.

Although the concept uses a hydrogen fuel cell with trick in-wheel motors, the production car will launch with a gas V-8—likely naturally aspirated to start with a twin-turbo variant to follow—though Lexus hints that a top-tier fuel cell LS is in the cards. Expect some level of the concept’s gesture control human-machine interface and much of its L-Finesse design language to carry over to production.
http://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-...t-look-review/

---

The note about the the next LS using the new "Inertia Spec" platform of the LC 500, and how that could be how the LF-FC was shorter in height than the S-Class but doesn't sacrifice headroom. I'm super excited for the LS now after having seen the LC!
Old 01-13-16, 05:03 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123

The styling alone of the concept should tell you pure luxury is gone. And I'm excited for Lexus to go in that direction. Lexus now has a distinct identity with challenging designs and its own striking interior layout. It's luxury approached in a way that no other automaker can mimic. That's what makes people crave your product.

Personally, I love the fact that Lexus is carving its own distinct identity while Mercedes has doubled down on its pure luxury theme.
Old 01-13-16, 07:44 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i'm glad someone else also thinks that the LS needs to become less sporty. it definitely needs to become faster but more than anything needs to be a soft cruiser with 6-7 gears max and squishy couch cushion seats. i've sat in a new LS and i'd take the seats in my 99 in a heartbeat.
The two things in bold seem to contradict one another. The closer-spaced the gearset is, the smoother the shifts are going to be. If CVTs were perfect (and we all know they're not), that's what you would want in a Luxo-cruiser. High-gear-count traditional autos are the next best thing to that nonexistent ideal.
Old 01-13-16, 08:04 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Well there's always the mode selector for the comfort setting. The luxury segment is getting more and more competitive with Hyundai finally launching their own brand, BMW and Benz moving down market, Acura declaring (again) to compete in the upper level segments, Maserati and other brands reentering the segment, differentiation is necessary. Its easy to engineer anonymous but the anonymous is also easily forgotten.
Old 01-13-16, 08:19 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
The two things in bold seem to contradict one another. The closer-spaced the gearset is, the smoother the shifts are going to be. If CVTs were perfect (and we all know they're not), that's what you would want in a Luxo-cruiser. High-gear-count traditional autos are the next best thing to that nonexistent ideal.
my 5 speed shifts pretty damn smoothly, and i'm pretty sure the 4 speed before it shifted equally smoothly. and by smoothly i mean you literally don't feel it shift.

idk there's just something about being able to enjoy each gear for longer that i like, rather than having something that's constantly shifting. all i know is the 2014-15 MDX with the 6 speed worked very well but the 2016 with the ZF 9 speed was kind of crap. then again this 10 speed is completely different so we'll have to see.
Old 01-13-16, 08:33 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

my 5 speed shifts pretty damn smoothly, and i'm pretty sure the 4 speed before it shifted equally smoothly. and by smoothly i mean you literally don't feel it shift.

idk there's just something about being able to enjoy each gear for longer that i like, rather than having something that's constantly shifting. all i know is the 2014-15 MDX with the 6 speed worked very well but the 2016 with the ZF 9 speed was kind of crap. then again this 10 speed is completely different so we'll have to see.
The ZF 9-speed has had well documented issues stemming from its use of dog clutches and some other internal hardware bits. Much improved as of recent due to hardware changes.

The ZF 8-speed is a much better example of a much smoother transmission. Personally I can't stand the transmission in your LS because of the amount of torque converter slip. I love modern automatics because the torque converter locks up very early.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where's the '17 LS?? (now that LC has come out)