Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LC News

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-16, 10:51 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Something interesting, Brian Bolain, Lexus' GM of Products has said that the LC will be in a feature film via product placement.

Since LC500 is most likely to begin sales around May 2017, Anybody want to take a guess which film?

Here are my guesses:
John Wick 2
Fast 8
Kingsman : The Golden Circle
Transformers : The Last Knight

I think Fast 8 and Transformers might be less likely chance since there are so many cars in there fighting for screen time. The LC would be really awesome in Kingsman 2.

Here is a list of movie releases for 2016
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Movie...le-109257.html

2017:
http://www.movieinsider.com/movies/-/2017

Last edited by G Star; 08-31-16 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-31-16, 01:45 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh man I hope it's fast 8!!
Old 08-31-16, 06:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Motor Trend just published a report that the new LC will have four trim levels, base, Touring, Sport, and Sport Plus. They claim Lexus is attempting to move about 5000 a year.
Old 08-31-16, 11:53 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
yes, it is called common sense... LC500 will not be much lower than 100k starting price.
What is it about the lc500 that warrants a 100K or even 90K price tag? The RC F does not sell priced at 70K or so even with close to or around 10K discount, on CD website the price is listed at 63K, the last SC430 did not sell well because it was priced way too high. If Lexus plans on selling a couple thousand of this model a year that is not going to happen pricing it at 100k or even 90k. Lexus is not Porsche, Mercedes, or BMW who can get away with selling very expensive 2 doors.
Old 08-31-16, 12:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
What is it about the lc500 that warrants a 100K or even 90K price tag? The RC F does not sell priced at 70K or so even with close to or around 10K discount, on CD website the price is listed at 63K, the last SC430 did not sell well because it was priced way too high. If Lexus plans on selling a couple thousand of this model a year that is not going to happen pricing it at 100k or even 90k.

Have you seen the interior? High grade materials throughout. New platform and exotic materials for the chassis and sheet metal. Latest powertrain technology (10-Speed Auto, Multi-Speed transmission). The LC makes the RC/RC F look like.. a child's RC car

This is a car that hangs with Gran Turismo's and DB9's. Forget those dime a dozen 640i's.

The SC though, was long in the tooth. It was a good car, but towards the end it was a knife at a gun fight (or rather German howitzer cannon fight )

Lexus is not Porsche, Mercedes, or BMW who can get away with selling very expensive 2 doors.
You're right, Lexus is not the Germans.. which means they are free to do what they want. Forget keeping up with the Joneses, Lexus marches to the beat of their own drum. Folks may not like that Lexus doesn't follow a certain formula, but that's what makes them unique and sets them apart from the competition. Lexus doesn't want to build the fastest cars. Lexus wants to build the best car that epitomizes passionate driving. Tbh I hope Lexus continues to irk the naysayers of what they can and can't do.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 08-31-16 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-31-16, 01:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

This is a car that hangs with Gran Turismo's and DB9's. Forget those dime a dozen 640i's.
Until Lexus offers a V12, I can't see how it is possible that the LC hangs with a DB9.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-31-16 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-31-16, 01:23 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^Great post Jared.

This is definitely a 90k+ car from the chassis and interior alone. remember guys the 5.0 is the BASE engine.

Looking forward to an LCF
Old 08-31-16, 01:24 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Until Lexus offers a V12, I can see how it is possible that the LC hangs with a DB9.
Base DB11 will be using AMG 4.0L TwinTurbo V8 making ~500hp. This NA V8 already makes 470hp.
Old 08-31-16, 01:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
^Great post Jared.

This is definitely a 90k+ car from the chassis and interior alone. remember guys the 5.0 is the BASE engine.

Looking forward to an LCF
Base eng may be fine. But will the base trim be $90K. I doubt it. Upgraded audio, carbon fibre roof, 21" rims are all extra. There will be four different trim levels.

Generally speaking, when Toyota releases a show or press model, it is always the full on loaded model. Is this the fully loaded model? Are we going to see a model without the high end trimmings?

I have no doubt Toyota could charge $100k for a LC model in their Lexus line. But I can't see this model starting at close to $100k
Old 08-31-16, 03:43 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Until Lexus offers a V12, I can't see how it is possible that the LC hangs with a DB9.
And if we went by that, then a M4 can't hang with a RC F because its six cylinder. Hell, a BMW i8 'supercar' utilizes a 3 cylinder engine so that means it can't hang with other supercars if we use that logic

'Hang' as in the same class of high end luxury GT coupe. Powertrains vary by make and model. Cino is correct that the successor of the DB9 aka the DB11 will utilize an AMG 8 cylinder.

The DB is not necessarily more prestigious because of its outgoing V12, but rather the badges on the hood and bumper that command its price. The LC interior is just as nice the DB11's (take design which is subjective out of the equation and compare material quality).

Old 08-31-16, 05:39 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Have you seen the interior? High grade materials throughout. New platform and exotic materials for the chassis and sheet metal. Latest powertrain technology (10-Speed Auto, Multi-Speed transmission). The LC makes the RC/RC F look like.. a child's RC car

The SC though, was long in the tooth. It was a good car, but towards the end it was a knife at a gun fight (or rather German howitzer cannon fight )

You're right, Lexus is not the Germans.. which means they are free to do what they want. Forget keeping up with the Joneses, Lexus marches to the beat of their own drum. Folks may not like that Lexus doesn't follow a certain formula, but that's what makes them unique and sets them apart from the competition. Lexus doesn't want to build the fastest cars. Lexus wants to build the best car that epitomizes passionate driving. Tbh I hope Lexus continues to irk the naysayers of what they can and can't do.
I have seen the interior in pictures. Nothing to me that would warrant a 100K or 90K price or adding 20-30K to a already expensive price. High grade materials don't add 20K or 30K to the price of a car or its interior. Some nicer leather trim over more parts and metal buttons at most add maybe $1000-$1500 to the price or cost of the a car, not tens of thousands. If they were really doing something really out there like turquoise trim, white gold trim and other real exotic materials/gems then maybe. How much is it really worth to buyers with 1 or 2 more gears then what most competitors are already using, is it really going to make much difference in acceleration or fuel economy with those extra gears? The car and interior is certainly nicer then a RC and RC-F but 30K nicer then the already impressive RC-F or over 50K nicer then the RC350, I just don't see it especially when people are not buying much of those less expensive coupes at their current discounted prices. I just don't want to see Lexus come out with a nice looking coupe but price it so high that they don't get anywhere close to the sales they wanted and then decide not to build any more coupes anymore because people don't feel they are worth the money they are charging. Lexus just does not have the brand cache to sell several thousand of $100K coupes a year like the established Europeans do.
Old 08-31-16, 06:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I have seen the interior in pictures. Nothing to me that would warrant a 100K or 90K price or adding 20-30K to a already expensive price. High grade materials don't add 20K or 30K to the price of a car or its interior. Some nicer leather trim over more parts and metal buttons at most add maybe $1000-$1500 to the price or cost of the a car, not tens of thousands. If they were really doing something really out there like turquoise trim, white gold trim and other real exotic materials/gems then maybe. How much is it really worth to buyers with 1 or 2 more gears then what most competitors are already using, is it really going to make much difference in acceleration or fuel economy with those extra gears? The car and interior is certainly nicer then a RC and RC-F but 30K nicer then the already impressive RC-F or over 50K nicer then the RC350, I just don't see it especially when people are not buying much of those less expensive coupes at their current discounted prices. I just don't want to see Lexus come out with a nice looking coupe but price it so high that they don't get anywhere close to the sales they wanted and then decide not to build any more coupes anymore because people don't feel they are worth the money they are charging. Lexus just does not have the brand cache to sell several thousand of $100K coupes a year like the established Europeans do.

I do believe that a fully loaded model could command $100k, I just can't see it starting at that price point.
Old 08-31-16, 06:59 PM
Hoovey689

Coupes like this don't drive huge sales though. It's a statement car that helps attract attention regardless if someone is in the market or not. It's also imperative to reintroduce a flagship coupe to elevate the Lexus marque regardless of what powertrain is in it or what price it is. Once established in the Lexus stable, wrongs can be righted over time. Will the LC be perfect? No. Can it be improved? Yes. Will it be a rewarding car? Based on current Lexus's and Toyoda's passion, Yes.

Let's enjoy the ride

Old 08-31-16, 07:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

If you don't see from looking at the LCs interior why it's goin to be a $90k+ car you haven't spent any time in $60-80k cars lol
Old 08-31-16, 07:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

have been thinking about the looks of the floating roof and tail lights and i see loads of RX similarity in it...

Quick Reply: Lexus LC News