Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LC News

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-16, 04:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

This is going to be a $100k car guys lol
Old 08-22-16, 06:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The industry is not moving towards a more sport oriented look and feel for their cars because the auto press are saying so,

they would never design, market, and then sell a car just because they want to appease Car & Driver or Motor Trend..
Well, even some CEOs have admitted the effect that the auto press has on today's designs.

not everyone wants a floaty, slow as a yacht ride.
That's true, but many of those who DO are essentially being ignored. And they tend to be in the age/demographic group (just before retirement) that, in general, has the most money to spend on new cars.....the ones that have been working for 30 or 40 years, and have plenty of money and big bank accounts saved up.

But, anyhow, this is getting off-topic for the thread-subject.....the Lexus LC. The LC is not intended to be a smooth-riding luxosedan.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-22-16 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-22-16, 07:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's true, but many of those who DO are essentially being ignored. And they tend to be in the age/demographic group (just before retirement) that, in general, has the most money to spend on new cars.....the ones that have been working for 30 or 40 years, and have plenty of money and big bank accounts saved up.
I don't agree with this at all. There are a lot of options right now for traditional riding, quiet sedans actually, if anything there has been an increase in these vehicles over the last couple years. What about the Buick Lacrosse? Chevy Impala? The new Genesis is a very ride biased car. The Hyundai Sonata...the Kia Optima and the Cadenza have very nice supple rides. The Avalon was tweaked to provide a better ride.

IMHO the quality and number of offerings that offer luxury car ride and drive experiences has exploded lately.

But, anyhow, this is getting off-topic for the thread-subject.....the Lexus LC. The LC is not intended to be a smooth-riding luxosedan.
I think you're going to be surprised there. This is a GT car, its going to have a nice refined ride. Modern suspension technology can deliver a car that has an excellent ride while still remaining agile when it comes to handling.
Old 08-22-16, 08:23 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
This saying is getting old. What about the GLA and CLA? The X1? i3? Mini? Audi's entire line-up is basically FWD derived!

As Bitkahuna has said before, Lexus marches to beat of their own drum.
Hoovey, any tidbits on pricing and release dates? or new info in general?
Old 08-22-16, 08:24 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
This saying is getting old. What about the GLA and CLA? The X1? i3? Mini? Audi's entire line-up is basically FWD derived!

As Bitkahuna has said before, Lexus marches to beat of their own drum.
There is a place for GLA and CLA or X1 and Mini, as there is for RX/NX/ES. (BTW i3 is RWD!)
The difference is MB/BMW BRING it when it comes to performance cars:
AMG everything with crazy #s plus AMG GTS/GTR, ///M everything with crazy #s plus Alpina models.
Audi has some ridiculous cars as well - new R8, RS7, S8.

Listen - Lexus wants F brand to be taken serious and certain Lexus models to be performance based then they should go all the way - not this half assed, be lucky we gave you anything attitude.

Beat of their own drum has done wonders - horrible Hybrid sales now joined by horrible F model sales!
I think the market has spoken, time to go back to the drawing board.

My point is Toyota/Lexus has the engineering talent, they have the $$$$ for R&D (more than every other car maker) but do they have the passion to do it. That remains to be seen....

Last edited by RNM GS3; 08-22-16 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-22-16, 09:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
There is a place for GLA and CLA or X1 and Mini, as there is for RX/NX/ES. (BTW i3 is RWD!)
AMG everything with crazy #s plus AMG GTS/GTR, ///M everything with crazy #s plus Alpina models.

Listen - Lexus wants F brand to be taken serious and certain Lexus models to be performance based then they should go all the way - not this half assed, be lucky we gave you anything attitude.

Beat of their own drum has done wonders - horrible Hybrid sales now joined by horrible F model sales!

My point is Toyota/Lexus has the engineering talent, they have the $$$$ for R&D (more than every other car maker) but do they have the passion to do it. That remains to be seen....
Wow you really have a hate on for Lexus. Lexus is coming into their own when it comes to their image. I am not a fan of the F vehicles but I like the idea of the F-sport.

It seems a little silly to copy the R8 and M vehicles as that is not what Lexus is

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-22-16 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-22-16, 09:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

if people look at the price of the gsf, how on earth can they think the lc is going to be 75k car? just look at the general price premium of coupe over the sedan in same / similar segment.

keep in mind, i think the gsf msrp is on the high side, but at the same time i think the lc offers more
Old 08-22-16, 09:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Wow you really have a hate on for Lexus. Lexus is coming into their own when it comes to their image. I am not a fan of the F vehicles not I like the idea of the F-sport.

It seems a little silly to copy the R8 and M vehicles as that is not what Lexus is
Its like: "I really like Lexus, I just hate everything about it"
Old 08-22-16, 09:48 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Wow you really have a hate on for Lexus. Lexus is coming into their own when it comes to their image. I am not a fan of the F vehicles not I like the idea of the F-sport.

Well the LFA was to Lexus what the R8 is to Audi.
M models for BMW are what F models are for Lexus......so not sure about your point

I dont like Lexus now as much as I once did for sure but i still hope they turn things around.
I been a Lex fan since the long defunct Ltuned days - historically it has been nothing but disappointment, excuses, etc with them.

Like i said they have the ability but no passion.
Its like an athlete that has all the tools but not heart to be great.

Old 08-22-16, 09:54 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Its like: "I really like Lexus, I just hate everything about it"
If you been around as long as I been with the brand maybe you would understand.
Myself and family had a bunch of Lexus - 1gen RX, 2 of 2nd gen RXs including RX400h (one of 1st hybrids), 04 LS430, 07LS460, and my 2 GS300s.

I know the brand well.
Old 08-22-16, 10:07 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
if people look at the price of the gsf, how on earth can they think the lc is going to be 75k car? just look at the general price premium of coupe over the sedan in same / similar segment.

keep in mind, i think the gsf msrp is on the high side, but at the same time i think the lc offers more
I agree with you it will not be anywhere 75k, but imo thats what it needs to start at in order to sell and make noise and not be the next SC430.
Based on GSF pricing, LC500 will start at 95-98k and fully loaded at 110-115k.
It will not sell at that price - too much competition from more established models.
Old 08-22-16, 10:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

You're right the i3 is RWD.

The LC 500 is not an F model. You'll likely see an F variant in 3 or 4 years. Lexus saw fit to use the 5.0L V8 from its F portfolio because it is a great engine. Powerful, linear, roars, and very technological with its Otto and Atkinson cycles. The LC500h got a revised hybrid system and a trick transmission which is the next step to making more engaging luxury performance hybrids. It won't be a perfect car, but it will be the car that helps carry Lexus's banner. Elevating them to that six figure mark. Once the model is part of the Lexus stable, it will be updated to be better as most cars do through the years after release. The technology, engineering, and design also trickle down the Lexus line when cars like these are released. Think of what a GS500h would be capable of . The LC is very important to Lexus's Luxury future.

I'm betting the LC will be similar to the LFA in that while everyone is concerned about the paper and online stats, real world experience will be amazingly surreal.

Originally Posted by G Star
Hoovey, any tidbits on pricing and release dates? or new info in general?
Not really. First quarter of 2017 is the likely release. RNM GS3's estimate of $95K-115K sounds good.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 08-22-16 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-22-16, 11:50 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Ok...RNM GS3.

LFA was underpowered for the supercar that it was and caught a lot of flack for it. In the end it was recognized for exactly what it was and what it was trying to be.

Just ask Jeremy Clarkson, who still claims it is his favorite supercar.

The RCF is underpowered compared to the M3 but is milliseconds behind the m3 on the track.

There is always going to be the typical contests but perhaps Lexus is not trying to win the paper wars, maybe they want to win over genuine loyal customers at a slow and maintainable pace.

There is no question Toyota/Lexus has the money and talent to do what you WISH for them to do but the real question is, WHY do they choose to do things differently?

Old 08-23-16, 05:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I dont like Lexus now as much as I once did for sure but i still hope they turn things around.
I been a Lex fan since the long defunct Ltuned days - historically it has been nothing but disappointment, excuses, etc with them.

Like i said they have the ability but no passion.
Its like an athlete that has all the tools but not heart to be great.
OK...so go to a different brand if you don't like Lexus as much as you once did. The new models from Lexus are more interesting than the older one IMO and I think new buyers are coming to brand more than they did in the past. I am not a huge fan of the front ends but the LC500 looks pretty good inside and out.

I do agree that the 5.0 is a let down as the engine has been around for ever, the hybrid idea does not get me excited either. But the styling and interior are really going to make existing Lexus fans very happy. Those who don't like (like yourself) can go to another brand?
Old 08-23-16, 06:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I don't agree with this at all. There are a lot of options right now for traditional riding, quiet sedans actually, if anything there has been an increase in these vehicles over the last couple years. What about the Buick Lacrosse? Chevy Impala? The new Genesis is a very ride biased car. The Hyundai Sonata...the Kia Optima and the Cadenza have very nice supple rides. The Avalon was tweaked to provide a better ride.

IMHO the quality and number of offerings that offer luxury car ride and drive experiences has exploded lately.
I agree there are a few options left, but not many......and, for the money, it's hard to beat the Impala. Because of today's low-profile tires, thought, What has actually benefitted more than ride comfort, though, in these cars, has been handling (and sound insulation). Of those you mentioned, though, the Genesis (admittedly based on my own limited review experience) probably has the smoothest ride. It costs a good chunk of $$$$, though....particularly the 5.0L version. The Optima is built very well but does not, IMO, ride that smoothly.

On the thread-topic, what do you think of the LC? Have you had a chance to drive one yet? None of the local Lexus shops here have any in stock.....I don't think it has been released for sale yet.

Quick Reply: Lexus LC News