Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LC News

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-16, 05:01 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great render.

There was a thread about Vossen few weeks back and I didn't want to intrude it as majority were stoked about it but these custom wheels (HREs included and pretty much everyone else) have been behind manufacturers OEM designs for quite some time, close to a decade now.

Once they were the ones that moved the designs ahead and created all that custom wheels movement but today they are more of a throwback thing than anything else. I have yet to see a modern custom wheel that can come close to lets say '16 GS Luxury 19' wheel. Theme could be similar but execution and attention to detail is not there.
Old 01-18-16, 10:16 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

So this LC is going to have a carbon fibre roof, sub 4000lbs, no dual clutch, an additional engine offering to be announced soon. So this appears to be a 6 series competitor. Lots of praise this should be a good seller

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-18-16 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-18-16, 10:31 AM
FlowForm_Wheels
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great render, love it! Thanks for posting that up
Old 01-18-16, 10:43 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The 6-Series is the volume competitor (and it weighs 4300lbs) Lexus is benchmarking. The GranTurismo with its exotic looks and V8 soundtrack is the other

Old 01-18-16, 10:45 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Default First Drive: 2018 Lexus LC500 Prototype

2018 Lexus LC 500 Prototype First Drive
The Goal Is To Keep 'Boring' And 'Lexus' Out Of The Same Sentence

Engine
5.0L V8

Power
467 HP / 389 LB-FT

Transmission
10-Speed Automatic

0-60 Time
4.5 Seconds

Drivetrain
Rear-Wheel Drive

Engine Placement
Front

Curb Weight
3,968 LBS

Seating
2+2

Chief executives aren't normally as candid as Akio Toyoda was last week. At the launch of hot new Lexus LC 500 coupe at the Detroit Auto Show, the chief executive of Lexus and Toyota and grandson of the company's founder, said that he'd received letters telling him that his Lexus luxury brand cars were dull and boring and that he agreed.

"I took them to heart," said this tiny and forceful boss, "and I'm ensuring that the word 'boring' and 'Lexus' will never occupy the same sentence ever again."

But boring has been an ongoing problem for Lexus. And for the last year I've been involved in trying to help solve it. Let me explain.

Akio has made his extraordinary "Lexus is Boring" speech before. That was five years ago on the windswept golf courses at the Pebble-Beach Concourse d'Elegance at the launch of the fourth-generation GS sedan. With its new-look spindle grille, basking-shark air intakes, and razor-edged curves, GS was the first of the new-look Lexus models, but Akio still wasn't happy. In 2011, after 11 consecutive years of premium market leadership in America, Lexus had lost it to the Germans. Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and Audi didn't just built better looking cars, but more interesting and more fun-to-drive cars.

Lexus' shtick of reliability, immaculate-quality, hybrid gas-efficiency, golf-bag trunk optimization, and specification-adjusted value didn't cut it anymore. Akio, a keen race driver and petrolhead enthusiast, knew his cars needed a dynamic shot in the arm and a smoldering love affair with right-brain desirability. In short, he wanted Lexus engineers to build a car to bring a smile to drivers' faces.

A tall order, then. And one which Koji Sato, deputy chief engineer on the LC had to consider carefully. As he says: "Akio's Pebble Beach speech was the starting point; we're not just making a coupe, we're creating a new generation of Lexus."

With such a brief, and Akio's legendary peppery opinions in mind, Sato came up with a radical idea. Reckoning that sometime in-house teams can look so much in-house that they become blinkered, he decided he needed to open things up and recruit a team of outsiders. So, for the last year I, along with a small team of hand-picked journalists, race drivers, and keen-driving dealers, have been part of Sato-san's 'irregular army'.

Why me? It's a good question. As Robert Tickner, general manager of product and marketing for Lexus in Europe teasingly put it, "We tried all the good people and they were all busy, so we ended up with you."

This was an incredibly risky strategy and not just because Sato was in jeopardy of exposing the whole project through leaks (we all signed strict non-disclosure agreements), but it was also an arduous logistical exercise to coordinate individual plans to get the test team together at three special US driving events. There was also the risk that one of us would run out of talent and bin one of these extraordinarily valuable prototypes. Which is exactly what happened to one over-enthusiastic insider from Lexus, so my first drive took place in a hastily coned-off part of the car park of the Rose Bowl Stadium in Pasadena, CA, where the most likely consequences of getting it wrong would be piling into the hot-dog concession.

Covered in disguise tape, with its interior panels covered in photographer-foiling drapes and packed with monitoring equipment, this prototype for Lexus' new flagship front-engine, rear-drive coupe has its looks based on the handsome 2012 LF-LC concept designed by Tadao Mori. That car was described by Mark Templin, now executive vice president of Lexus, as "a sneak peak of what we're up to in the future."

The LC 500 goes on sale in America and Japan at the beginning of 2017 and in Europe later the same year. It is powered by a 5.0-liter, quad-cam, 32-valve, all-aluminum V8, which also powers the RC F and GS F. It produces 467 horsepower at 7,100 rpm and 389 pound-feet of torque at 4,800 rpm, enough to make for a 4.5-second 0-60 time. The LC also debuts a brand-new, 10-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters.

It's a big two-plus-two coupe, weighing (as a concept) 4,300 pounds, and is 187.4 inches long, 75.6 inches wide, and 52.9 inches high, running on a 112.9-inch wheelbase. Overall, the LC seems well proportioned and the overhangs are tidy.

But the LC is more than just a snazzy new V8 coupe (another drivetrain option is widely expected to be announced soon). Its significance goes well beyond its specification, since the hardware and dynamics of this big coupe are also expected to form the backbone of the replacement LS sedan models. So this is a new beginning.

I drove a few laps in the Lexus and then followed those up with the benchmarked cars: BMW 650i, Lexus GS F, and Maserati GranTurismo. Dynamically, the Lexus didn't seem too bad. It was a bit soft, with over-assisted steering, but the chassis gave good feedback and it seemed to handle the parking lot bumps well. The V8 sounded gorgeous, but that 10-speed auto was very new and quite rough, with harsh changes and oddly spaced ratios. At the debrief, we all agreed that Sato wanted the new LC to follow in the steps of the LFA sports coupe, not its less well-received RC F.

The next test took place on Mount Wilson in the Saint Gabriel Mountains behind Los Angeles. I was joined by a man with a hugely desirable business card, Yoshiaki Ito, whose job title is "Chief Expert – Advanced Technical Skills." He also packs a mean pair of shades, perhaps hiding his reactions to my lack of said advanced technical skills

We tore up and down the mountain in the prototype Lexus and its benchmarks, and in the early evening I had a grueling 45-minute debrief with the entire team on the minutiae of the car's behavior. This test regime was becoming known in my family as "all the meals I've never had," since I invariably had to go to the airport at the end of the day rather than have supper with the team.

The last event was at Willow Springs International Raceway, where the much modified Lexus prototype was now packing the latest changes to the suspension including new geometry and ball joints for the front wishbones, longer uprights, and revised air suspension settings – plus a rear steering system, which I understand will be optional for production.

It all felt much improved. I thought the rear steering required more programming work at high side forces where it seemed to fight against the car's natural balance, and that the front felt too soft. Dynamically, the competitive Porsche 911 Lexus brought along felt more at home on the track, its rear engine helping turn-in, but the LC 500 wasn't horribly outclassed and it compared really well with BMW's 6 Series.

The Lexus was also running on the latest specification run-flat tires from Bridgestone, which will be fitted to the production vehicle. With a brand-new tread pattern and rubber construction, with 16 percent less rubber in the sidewalls and a single-ply construction instead of two-ply, the aim is to reduce the weight and the notorious ride quality drawback of the traditional run-flat tire, while still maintaining the obvious advantages of not having to carry a spare.

That 10-speed auto had improved hugely and felt positive and fast, but why hadn't Lexus produced a dual-clutch transmission like most of its rivals? I put the question to Hideo Tomomatsu, transmission project manager.

"I don't understand why a DCT gearbox is necessary," he said. "They say it is for a sporty feel, but we can achieve that with our 10-speed and while dry twin-clutch transmissions can be quite efficient, the wet clutch systems for high power [applications] introduce a lot of drag and can overheat. More to the point, American and Japanese customers expect a degree of low-speed refinement that a DCT simply can't deliver."

Afterward, Sato-san and I discussed the car's dynamics and he agreed with me on the rear steering system, but not with my thoughts on the steering being still marginally over-assisted. I told him I thought the LC was starting to have a clear dynamic fingerprint, with a soft but responsive turn-in and faithful tracking through a bend, but the ability to powerslide wide if the driver so wished. Sato-san looked delighted.

"What I am most happy with," he said, "is the precision of the steering and the way the yaw builds up. There's still a gap between where we are and where we want to be, and the rear steering requires work, but we are getting our own 'taste' into the car. It's not a BMW and not Jaguar, but ours."

In the next few months as the LC 500 gets near its late-spring engineering sign off, Sato's prototypes will become more like the production cars, with carbon-fiber body parts including the roof, which will reduce the prototype's weight by 330 pounds to give a curb weight of 3,968 pounds and alter the center of gravity and the handling.

"We have got the basics right," says Sato, "but it's that last 10 percent that is so difficult."

Sato's 'irregulars' are now disbanded as the car approaches its engineering sign off. I have only the vaguest notions of how the LC 500 will drive when I get my hands on it next year, but have grown to like and respect the engineering team which created it and have the most amazing memories. I even managed to eat a couple of suppers with the team, eventually.

But the team faces an awesome challenge before the engineering work is done: Akio is booked to drive the LC 500 in late February. His irascible dressing-downs of his engineering staff are renowned. For the sake of Sato-san and the rest of his team, I do hope he likes it.
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/18/2...-drive-review/

Last edited by GFerg; 01-18-16 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-18-16, 11:04 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3,968lbs! Is that official? Given the precision one would think it is. Tthat's really light for the class, lighter than the Gran Turismo's 4,145lbs and much lighter than the 650i's 4,275lbs.

However, the 0-60 time is listed at 4.5 seconds, which is dubious, knowing that it's been officially announced the figure is "under" 4.5 seconds.
It all felt much improved. I thought the rear steering required more programming work at high side forces where it seemed to fight against the car's natural balance, and that the front felt too soft. Dynamically, the competitive Porsche 911 Lexus brought along felt more at home on the track, its rear engine helping turn-in, but the LC 500 wasn't horribly outclassed and it compared really well with BMW's 6 Series.
The LC is a luxury GT and isn't designed to be a true sports car like the 911 is so it's never going to match the 911, which weighs just 3,153lbs, in dynamics, but beating the 6-series is the minimum the LC should achieve.

Last edited by ydooby; 01-18-16 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-18-16, 11:28 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Sounds like a good car, but why bring in the 911? Are they trying to shoot themselves in the foot?
Old 01-18-16, 12:34 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

they really need to split that grille into two parts... i haven't seen this one in person yet but an RC drove past me today and holy crap does that front look weird
Old 01-18-16, 12:58 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would it be shooting themselves in the foot? It's there for performance reasons. The 911 is a sportscar, then driving the Lexus (a gt) but not being far off of it makes it look good.

Last edited by TF109B; 01-18-16 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-18-16, 01:37 PM
adpock
Pole Position

Default LC 500 drift car rendering

and here's the LC 500 reimagined as the perfect drift weapon...
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/l...ift-rendering/
Old 01-18-16, 01:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i haven't been this excited about an "affordable" lexus for quite a while
Old 01-18-16, 03:23 PM
adpock
Pole Position

Default In the Works: Lexus LC 500 Convertible, LC F, and LC Hybrid

Lexus is indeed planning an LC 500 Convertible, an LC F, and an LC Hybrid.

Read the rest on the Club Lexus homepage. >>
Old 01-18-16, 05:45 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The LC500 deserves a big thumbs up for upsetting the segment. The German car forums are already frothing and yelling about it. It's a car that will have people talking.

But... the original autoblog review is nothing more than a frothy PR hack job press release about this car. Sorry. Not buying into that. You need a wide variety of auto press to review it before you pronounce it as the second coming.

The narrative from the author of that review implies "inside" access which basically says what? That you're a willing dupe to review something and tell a nice story?
Old 01-18-16, 06:45 PM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

Went to Detroit and saw this car. Looks very good in person.
Old 01-18-16, 07:20 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

How many times are you mods going to change my thread title? This has to be third iteration.

Quick Reply: Lexus LC News