Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Chrysler Pacifica (Town & Country replacement) revealed

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-16, 07:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The one with the wood panels is a K body station wagon. It's not even a minivan.
Given how popular the true Chrysler minivans were at the time, it's surprising how many of those K-body (Reliant/Aries) wagons were sold in the 1980s. The Reliant/Aries wagons (besides better but still-mediocre reliability) also had a one-upmanship over the competing GM X-body cars....the X-bodies never offered wagons, leaving that to subsequent GM models like the Celebrity, Cutlass Ciera, etc.....

I do like the fact that this...Pacifica...has a hybrid.
Everyone seems to be jumping on that hybrid bandwagon now.

I told her it was Pacifica, her response "wasn't that the nasty thing my stepdad had?"
And not many stepdads (or anyone else) actually owned them. Like the similar Mercedes R-Class, they were pulled from the American market from poor sales. One of my neighbors, though, did own one...a nice gold-colored one, though they were still uncommon in my area.

I rest my case
You've made a good one. I agree.
Old 01-16-16, 10:39 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the name change is a good thing. Fiat is re-branding the entire Chrysler line and a change to a familiar name is a good move to emphasize the entirely new platform. They eliminated the Sebring line a few years back, bringing in the "200" to slot beneath the "300", so at least the new management is consistent.

My wife fell in love with the efficient packaging of minivans some years ago and I have to confess, I'm a convert - if a reluctant one. This one is the first I've seen that incorporates all the latest features and even is available in a hybrid configuration that answers the needs of most minivan users. Since most trips to deliver the kids to school and after-school activities, perform as the family runabout for shopping and suburban errands, fall within it's electric-only range, it's a plug-in that will consume NO fossil fuel for the most part. What is surprising is with the V6 engine along for the ride, it can be a solid, reliable cruiser, the modern version of the family truckster for extended road trips. That I like.

Now, if it can deliver on comfort and reliability, Chrysler may have a real game-changer here.
Old 01-16-16, 08:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,762 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Seeing it in some videos, I'm liking it more:

Old 01-17-16, 06:38 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The one with the wood panels is a K body station wagon. It's not even a minivan.

I do like the fact that this...Pacifica...has a hybrid.

By the way about the name. My wife who knows nothing about cars, I mentioned they showed the new Chrysler minivan. She responded with "yeah I heard they changed the name or something" and I told her it was Pacifica, her response "wasn't that the nasty thing my stepdad had?"

I rest my case
The Town & Country nameplate predates the existence of the minivan. And that's an image that the name "T&C" conjures up, especially for anyone that had one.
Old 01-17-16, 07:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
The Town & Country nameplate predates the existence of the minivan. And that's an image that the name "T&C" conjures up, especially for anyone that had one.
It does, but he thought that was a T&C Minivan.

In any event...that vehicle was not a T&C, Minivan or wagon. Like I said that was a K body wagon.
Old 01-18-16, 08:56 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The original Chrysler Town and Country, built from about 1945 through1950 was a luxury touring convertible. In the fifties the marque reappeared as a station wagon, but the wood trim would succumb to the needs of the marketplace. Like any "woodie", that cabinetry required a lot of care and covered parking. Several attempts were made to produce imitation woodies that used sheets of wood-grain vinyl to simulate the style of the original T&C's, but especially on the later models of the sixties and the K-cars that would follow, it just got progressively more awkward.

Here's a Gen2 T&C that replaced the original (and rather odd) concept of the pre-war era.

1946 T&C

Based on the long 'New Yorker' 131.5 inch wheelbase, it was powered by a straight-eight engine driving through a semi-automatic, 4-speed "Fluid Drive" transmission. It was massive with every conceivable luxury of the day, and distinguished by its real wood trim. There were only a few thousand built, so you only see them today at top concours events and in a few movies in a fully restored state.

. . . And you kick yourself for not buying a good one in the fifties when they were relatively cheap. Today, one in top condition would probably buy you a very nice home and a couple of nice cars to boot.

Last edited by Lil4X; 01-18-16 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-18-16, 01:47 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

In any event...that vehicle was not a T&C, Minivan or wagon. Like I said that was a K body wagon.
That's the point--it IS a Town and Country; just of the K-Car era.

https://www.google.com/search?q=chry...lKkzRzGQzE8%3D
Old 01-18-16, 07:15 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I KNEW it said Town & Country on the image.
Old 01-18-16, 07:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I didn't even remember they made a T&C K Car/Lebaron wagon.

You still thought it was the minivan
Old 01-18-16, 07:40 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hahahahaha, I knew you would be in this forum, just like I am. I probably did. That's how much I know about minivans, other than the KIA Sedona I rented last year... which was great, BTW.
Old 01-18-16, 07:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Long live the Kia Sedona! Mine hasn't been washed in 2016 and is an absolute mess...and I don't care! Its so freeing lol
Old 01-20-16, 06:26 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

We've totally exhausted the whole name argument in this thread, but I figured some might find this interesting:

The 1999 Chrysler Pacifica minivan styling concept. Guess putting the name on a minivan wasn't so crazy after all. And yes this concept does indeed look like a dung beetle carrying a reluctant load.
Old 01-20-16, 06:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Long live the Kia Sedona! Mine hasn't been washed in 2016 and is an absolute mess...and I don't care! Its so freeing lol
Well, with what may be coming Friday and Saturday, you probably won't want to wash it right now.
Old 01-20-16, 06:45 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Checked out the Pacifica at the NAIAS last night. They had two or three on the floor with the windows open, but the doors locked. Probably still pre-production models???

The vans looked great in person and the layout and rear entertainment looked great!

Will have to see how the fit and finish will hold up compared to the T&C of past.
Old 01-20-16, 07:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, with what may be coming Friday and Saturday, you probably won't want to wash it right now.
Yeah I think I might wait lol

Quick Reply: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica (Town & Country replacement) revealed