Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

81K Porsche or 67K Lexus RCF?

Old 01-09-16, 09:02 PM
SethNaga
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 81K Porsche or 67K Lexus RCF?

I really like the Porsche Boxster, but with taxes it is 81K OTD. I can get a Lexus RCF for 67K OTD
I can afford both, but thinking if it is worth spending 14K more for Porsche? Added to this, is high Maintenance cost of Porsche

Last edited by SethNaga; 01-09-16 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-09-16, 10:01 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Need some info about what you want

Are you looking for a convertible sports car or a GT coupe?

Is handling feel more important or is power?

How long are you keeping it?

Do you need any practicality from the car (i.e. ability to tote stuff around)?
Old 01-09-16, 11:18 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This prob a second or third car, I would go for pure driving pleasure, the Cayman
Old 01-10-16, 12:03 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems like you're looking at a pretty loaded Porsche. I'm guessing a well-equipped Boxster S/Cayman S?

$14K is a lot more but the Porsche is in a category of it's own. I'm a big BMW guy and a well-equipped M3/M4 is around $75K and is a blast to drive, but I'd still go for the Porsche that's how much I enjoyed driving the new Cayman S.
Old 01-10-16, 12:04 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blacksc400
This prob a second or third car, I would go for pure driving pleasure, the Cayman
Wow you have a new X6M?
Old 01-10-16, 05:22 AM
ronsinsc
Rookie

Just a thought but if you enjoy driving a car where you are in control for the most part anyway consider getting an older Porsche like 964 or 993 the only drivers aid is antilock brakes and with the twin turbo model you do get four-wheel-drive these are pretty much the last of the air cooled porsche and are not really that difficult to maintain or expensive to repair.
Old 01-10-16, 08:03 AM
SethNaga
Rookie

Thank you all for the responses. I was looking at a Fully Loaded Boxster S. I enjoy the driving. This will be the third car and Cargo space is not a big deal as I have a truck. Having a Convertible is good, but if Cayman S has some significant advantages over Boxster or RCF, I will look into it

We are empty nesters and will keep the car for a long time.

Thanks again for your help
Old 01-10-16, 09:22 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I would get a used 911S in the 60's or 70's between those 2 cars but that is me.

Boxsters and Caymans are so overpriced now it is ridiculous but Porsche has done a great job of building up their name so they can sell their vehicles with huge profit margins. They do drive nice but that is just too much for that car/power/performance/what you get.

Of the two I think I would go with the RCF but try to get them down a little more to 65K or lower, I have heard they are dealing on them. If you are looking for a pure light drivers sports car you are going to be disappointed with the RCF though.

What about the BMW M3 or Jag F type?

I know it is not the same but have you checked out the Mustang Shelby GT350, priced around 50K, 526 hp, flat plane crank V8 revs to over 8000rpm, handles very well, nice interior, sounds great. New Camaro ZL1/Z28 is very nice too.
Old 01-10-16, 09:44 AM
SethNaga
Rookie

911S is above 100K. When you say 60's or 70's, you mean used one?

Originally Posted by UDel
I would get a used 911S in the 60's or 70's between those 2 cars but that is me.

Boxsters and Caymans are so overpriced now it is ridiculous but Porsche has done a great job of building up their name so they can sell their vehicles with huge profit margins. They do drive nice but that is just too much for that car/power/performance/what you get.

Of the two I think I would go with the RCF but try to get them down a little more to 65K or lower, I have heard they are dealing on them. If you are looking for a pure light drivers sports car you are going to be disappointed with the RCF though.

What about the BMW M3 or Jag F type?

I know it is not the same but have you checked out the Mustang Shelby GT350, priced around 50K, 526 hp, flat plane crank V8 revs to over 8000rpm, handles very well, nice interior, sounds great. New Camaro ZL1/Z28 is very nice too.
Old 01-10-16, 10:19 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He meant the 911 from the the year 1960-1970s

But I don't think you considering used let along antiques. Anyway, I think Porsche better and they hold up their value more as well, if you going to keep the car for a while then it's a better choice.
Old 01-10-16, 10:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Udel did say used.

Anyway, a boxster and rcf are not even remotely similar, so maybe you could clarify why you're considering them both?

And if convertible is not important, get a Cayman over the boxster.
Old 01-10-16, 11:03 AM
SethNaga
Rookie

I want a luxury coupe/convertible for daily drive. I am looking at Lexus because of luxury and reliability. I am considering Porsche because of Luxury, performance and compact size. I want to limit my choices to few, to decide easier. Convertible is not that important, so will look at Cayman.

In what way Cayman, a better choice than Boxster?

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Udel did say used.

Anyway, a boxster and rcf are not even remotely similar, so maybe you could clarify why you're considering them both?

And if convertible is not important, get a Cayman over the boxster.

Last edited by SethNaga; 01-10-16 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-10-16, 11:53 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

cayman is just stiffer and lighter without the auto top and the enclosed experience is sportier (I guess).

The RCF is definitely not compact or sporty (depends on the definition). I think a good competitor to the RCF would be the M4, M6, or even the Aston Martin Vantage if you can up the budget a bit.

There are not a lot of compact, luxury sports car in the market today unfortunately... Maybe a good compromise would be a 911.

Jag F type is also very nice, specially if you want to stay in the luxury space.
Old 01-10-16, 12:37 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
He meant the 911 from the the year 1960-1970s

But I don't think you considering used let along antiques. Anyway, I think Porsche better and they hold up their value more as well, if you going to keep the car for a while then it's a better choice.
...Porsche hold up their value more...

Really?
Old 01-10-16, 01:37 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SethNaga
I really like the Porsche Boxster, but with taxes it is 81K OTD. I can get a Lexus RCF for 67K OTD
I can afford both, but thinking if it is worth spending 14K more for Porsche? Added to this, is high Maintenance cost of Porsche
Since you are asking this question I have to assume you did not have a very long drive in the Boxster, or not enough curves. If that is true my answer to your question is yes!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 81K Porsche or 67K Lexus RCF?