Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

81K Porsche or 67K Lexus RCF?

Old 01-11-16, 10:52 AM
SethNaga
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like I have to buy both!
Old 01-11-16, 01:02 PM
EyeSF
Rookie

Originally Posted by TF109B
The RC F will likely last longer, have more comfort, luxury (debatable), better value imo, stronger engine, better sound and is cheaper. The Porsche is a more sporty car, but unless you're a race driver or tracking, there's nothing it can do a lot better except give you the wind in your hair and the title of "Porsche owner".
Driving a sport scar on the street can be quite fun. The purpose of the Porsche is driving enjoyment. For that purpose it does better than the Lexus. One does not have to go to track to justify purchasing a sports car.
Old 01-11-16, 08:09 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
to you.

people who buy boxsters (and porsches overall) are typically VERY enthusiastic about their purchase, and yeah, it's an extravagant thing, but so are many things to many people. it may not float your boat, but that doesn't mean it isn't "worth it" to others.

and of course lexus makes no money on an rcf.

as far as 'worth it' - i personally don't get owning a 911 turbo, even if i was ok spending that kind of money because it is SO FAST to me it's boring. you can get to 100mph in a few seconds with no effort, and then what? handling is spectacular, but so is a regular 911. if i were going to spend that kind of money i'd enjoy the GT3 much more.
Yea, they buy it because of branding, they are enthusiastic to own a Porsche, not necessarily that they spent $81k on a dinky compact sports convertible.

There is a disconnect between the branding and the product, which in the long term will only lead to buyer's remorse, something I'm sure historically most Boxster owners are familiar with.
Old 01-12-16, 07:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
There is a disconnect between the branding and the product, which in the long term will only lead to buyer's remorse, something I'm sure historically most Boxster owners are familiar with.
lol. you're sure, huh? i don't think porsche has much of a problem with brand loyalty or buyer's remorse.
Old 01-12-16, 07:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by SethNaga
I really like the Porsche Boxster, but with taxes it is 81K OTD. I can get a Lexus RCF for 67K OTD
I can afford both, but thinking if it is worth spending 14K more for Porsche? Added to this, is high Maintenance cost of Porsche
i think you should drive both and less us know what you decide :-)

Talk is cheap, when you drive them, you will certainly like one over another for various reasons.
Old 01-12-16, 08:42 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Yea, they buy it because of branding, they are enthusiastic to own a Porsche, not necessarily that they spent $81k on a dinky compact sports convertible.

Yeah that's why I have only put 103k miles on my Box up & down the CA 405 fwy the last 13 yrs.

It's obvious you have never driven a Box.
Old 01-12-16, 04:28 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

You are actually describing Audi owners

Yes, Porsche options are notoriously pricey, but if you are looking for a sports car than the 981 is a no brainer. From a balance and driving dynamics perspective, it is leagues ahead of the RCF and 997, turbo or otherwise for that matter. If you want a rocket ship then by all means get a 997TT but it doesn't sound like that's the priority.

If you want a fast and comfortable GT with distinctive style, then RCF is your best bet, but you don't get a convertible.

Good luck!
Old 01-12-16, 04:32 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As is most often the case, ownership of a newer/new Porsche or a used one with warranty for those well-off enough to comfortably afford it, is never about buyer's remorse, because nothing really compares to the sheer pleasure of driving it. On the other hand, just as anything else in the luxury/performance group, don't buy it if you even come close to straining your budget on the upfront cost, maintenance and repairs.
Old 01-12-16, 09:00 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another vote here for the Cayman. It may run a few you a few grand more, but I like the solid roof!

After owning a Cayenne for the past two years, whenever the wife talks about her next vehicle, it's more in terms of which Porsche she wants next. You better believe Porsche builds brand loyalty...
Old 01-12-16, 11:57 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeSF
Driving a sport scar on the street can be quite fun. The purpose of the Porsche is driving enjoyment. For that purpose it does better than the Lexus. One does not have to go to track to justify purchasing a sports car.
That's not my point. I'm just trying to get across that most aren't going out on a high speed run for the fastest speed, but for enjoyment. The RC F may have lower limits than the Porsche, but on the street, you're probably not going to be approaching those. And for 10, 15k cheaper it's still a great buy to get 465hp and that sweet V8.
Old 01-13-16, 01:36 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

That's not my point. I'm just trying to get across that most aren't going out on a high speed run for the fastest speed, but for enjoyment. The RC F may have lower limits than the Porsche, but on the street, you're probably not going to be approaching those. And for 10, 15k cheaper it's still a great buy to get 465hp and that sweet V8.
I don't get this argument at all. The 467hp in the RC-F is even less usable on the street than the much lower hp Boxster.
Old 01-13-16, 05:10 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should really take a boxter or cayman out for a spin on some back roads, these cars are not about high speed enjoyments, they are about the agility and responsiveness on the twists and curves.

Compared to the cayman / box, the RCF is a pig. The cayman / box are the types of car where if you switch from one high performance summer brand to another, you can tell which one has a harder sidewall by the split sec change the car responds to your steering input.

The RCF, much like the ISF, makes good daily drivers and occasional spirited drive, I would compare it more to the C class AMG or any high power 4 door sedan
Old 01-13-16, 05:54 AM
ronsinsc
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikez
You should really take a boxter or cayman out for a spin on some back roads, these cars are not about high speed enjoyments, they are about the agility and responsiveness on the twists and curves.

Compared to the cayman / box, the RCF is a pig. The cayman / box are the types of car where if you switch from one high performance summer brand to another, you can tell which one has a harder sidewall by the split sec change the car responds to your steer
As a long time Porsche owner I would agree hundred percent with the statement above.. If you are looking at performance you should look at torque.. Is horsepower rating of the car you are looking at the horsepower at the wheels or at the flywheel. Porsche at least the older ones 98 and older horsepower and torque are rated at the rear wheels. There's really no appreciable loss of power on a Porsche because the gearboxes bolted directly to the engine and transfers power directly to the transaxle, I think that's the correct way to explain it.

I have driven 993 twin turbo and I can tell you the acceleration rate scares the absolute you know what out of you it's certainly scares me. I look at torque as the number that tells you how quick you will get where you're going. I look at horsepower as how fast the car Will go.
Old 01-13-16, 10:28 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
to you.

as far as 'worth it' - i personally don't get owning a 911 turbo, even if i was ok spending that kind of money because it is SO FAST to me it's boring. you can get to 100mph in a few seconds with no effort, and then what? handling is spectacular, but so is a regular 911. if i were going to spend that kind of money i'd enjoy the GT3 much more.
After owning a Boxster, 911 S, and now a 997.2 TT, I can tell you its NOT boring having that kind of power and acceleration. Yes, its tough to exploit that speed within legal limits but when you leave a stop light or accelerate out of a corner, there's very few cars that are as enjoyable. I have ridden/drove in many high end cars from a Porsche 918 on down and they are all great to drive in their own way. The GT3 is a track car and not well suited for everyday road use (unless you enjoy a rough ride).

Just my thoughts.
Old 01-13-16, 10:39 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Boxsters and Caymans are so overpriced now it is ridiculous but Porsche has done a great job of building up their name so they can sell their vehicles with huge profit margins. They do drive nice but that is just too much for that car/power/performance/what you get.

I have to disagree. The 981 chassis is spectacular (leaps and bounds better than the 986/987). It a better performer than the 997 and maybe a tad better than the 991 due to its size (excluding GT3 RS of course). The interior is a major step up from its predecessor. The 987 interior felt like it belongs in a $40k car, but the 981 has really nice hardware.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 81K Porsche or 67K Lexus RCF?