Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Don't let Bozos work on your car.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-16, 06:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Don't let Bozos work on your car.

Although not every discount-lube shop is incompetent or dishonest, in general, they don't have a very good reputation. These videos more or less speak for themselves. Some of these shops can actually be crooks or damage your vehicle.

Old 01-09-16, 07:35 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

I have used Jiffy Lube for oil changes only for convince (I don't feel comfortable with anything else from them) This is supposedly their specialty and I assumed it would be done the right way. Now I question if they even put synthetic oil in my truck.

I have used Goodyear in the past for several minor things and I felt comfortable with their honesty and pricing. Now MR.TIRE owns Goodyear who is this company and what reputation do they have? Can't I just get a freaking oil change by a reputable company without researching everyone scamming us
Old 01-09-16, 07:45 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hard to find trustable Indy shops, I have seems worse. Some of them even go as far as make damage on your vehicle while doing oil change, so you would go back for bigger repairs!
Old 01-09-16, 07:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tecman
I have used Jiffy Lube for oil changes only for convince (I don't feel comfortable with anything else from them) This is supposedly their specialty and I assumed it would be done the right way. Now I question if they even put synthetic oil in my truck.
Those fraud-occurrences in the video-investigations I posted were generally in the SoCal-L.A. area, but technically they could happen anywhere. Here in the D.C. area, I don't specifically know of any Jiffy or EZ-Lube shops that have actually been shut down for fraud or scamming customers like in L.A., but a number of people who have used them were not impressed with them.

I have used Goodyear in the past for several minor things and I felt comfortable with their honesty and pricing. Now MR.TIRE owns Goodyear who is this company and what reputation do they have? Can't I just get a freaking oil change by a reputable company without researching everyone scamming us
If you want to, you can check out reviews of individual repair shops at specific addresses at yelp.com. if any reviews have been written on that specific shop by customers, it will be on that site.
Old 01-10-16, 02:26 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

[QUOTE=mmarshall;9316705]Those fraud-occurrences in the video-investigations I posted were generally in the SoCal-L.A. area, but technically they could happen anywhere. Here in the D.C. area, I don't specifically know of any Jiffy or EZ-Lube shops that have actually been shut down for fraud or scamming customers like in L.A., but a number of people who have used them were not impressed with them.

Yes that's the local news in SoCA. I got into a argument with the local Jiffy Lube "tech" about the oil capacity of my car which I had changed the oil several times. He soon invited me to "go out back" to settle it. Best case scenario they all are speedy oil changes, meaning all the old oil is not allowed time to drain out. That's why I do my own oil change every 5k miles. These businesses can't make enough money doing only oil changes.
Old 01-10-16, 07:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Those fraud-occurrences in the video-investigations I posted were generally in the SoCal-L.A. area, but technically they could happen anywhere. Here in the D.C. area, I don't specifically know of any Jiffy or EZ-Lube shops that have actually been shut down for fraud or scamming customers like in L.A., but a number of people who have used them were not impressed with them.
Originally Posted by Byprodrive
that's the local news in SoCA. I got into a argument with the local Jiffy Lube "tech" about the oil capacity of my car which I had changed the oil several times. He soon invited me to "go out back" to settle it. Best case scenario they all are speedy oil changes, meaning all the old oil is not allowed time to drain out. That's why I do my own oil change every 5k miles. These businesses can't make enough money doing only oil changes.
That's the point of the videos. These bozos were making money hand-over-fist by charging for oil changes that they did not do AT ALL, much less get the oil capacity wrong. In other words, they were simple old-fashioned crooks.
Old 01-10-16, 08:07 PM
Flogrown
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate scammers like this. If I can't do the work myself I take it to Toyota and pay for piece of mind.
Old 01-11-16, 07:33 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

check out this post someone incorrectly almost ruined this guy's Audi S4..

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...il-change-shop
Old 01-12-16, 04:29 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I hate taking my car to mechanics especially when I don't know what is wrong. Hate being at their mercy and I generally don't trust them. When I was going to college I used to take my car to a place for oil changes/work and it always seemed to run a little odd afterward, then I heard from other people that the shop would mess with cars/loosen parts so they could get more work. I took my car to Sears to get my brake pads replaced when I was going to college and 3 months later a different shop told me my pads were totally worn, I told them I had them done 3 months ago and he said they did not change anything. I went back to Sears and at the counter someone else was telling them they found out they did not replace their pads like they paid for, I told them to do what I paid them to do or I am suing this place. I knew a guy who worked there and he told me they never replace pads for anyone who looks young or women, what a shady operation.

I do much of my own work on my cars now because of so many bad experiences plus it saves a ton of money.
Old 01-12-16, 04:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel

I do much of my own work on my cars now because of so many bad experiences plus it saves a ton of money.

That's one reason why I describe the underhood ease of work / access-space for DIY'ers in my auto-reviews. Some readers have told me I'm just wasting my time doing that, that not enough people work on their cars any more. Some people, in fact, do.
Old 01-12-16, 10:39 PM
fastdak25
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buddy back in high school has JL change his oil. The tech didn't put the drain plug back in properly. Buddy didn't notice till his engine seized shortly after. They got everything replaced/fixed after sueing JL.
Old 01-12-16, 11:20 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to do all work in my garage, including timing belt/water pump changes. But nowadays with newer cars, it's just impossible to do it on my own nor do I have time to do it. I doubt some Indy shop can change oil on high end cars anymore since it requires reset service (my friend's mechanic shop refuse to do any newer bmw/MLB/Porsche.
Old 01-13-16, 06:11 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl

"More trusted shop" haha. As if there are levels of trust. Either you trust or you don't. One cannot quantify trust.

Anyways, some dealerships are getting inspired by the huge profits these instant guys make and sadly resort to similar (not same) tactics of using the trust to skin you.
Old 01-13-16, 10:19 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

You won't know if they're bozos until AFTER they screw up your car

that's crazy that these guys would do a hack job that. Why would they have some kind of a cutter like that, readily available, just for a lube shop???
Old 01-13-16, 10:36 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bottom of the post he said

"Any representation made otherwise by this person is purely fictional and for entertainment purposes only."

Quick Reply: Don't let Bozos work on your car.