Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cruise control on trips or actually driving your car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-16, 09:49 AM
Corkman
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cruise control on trips or actually driving your car?

I just drove up I-5 from San Diego to Sacramento Saturday. I was lucky to find a few guys that were actually driving their cars. We let each other in and out of lanes to maneuver around trucks and cruise control zombies. It just seems like the art and love for driving is dying.
Old 01-03-16, 10:14 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I am a cruise control zombie 99% of the time, lol. I use it constantly. I cannot wait for autonomous cars to 'assist' even further...
Old 01-03-16, 11:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I am huge into cruise control as well. Can't wait till self driving or semi self driving.

Longest drive I made was 2.5hrs of constant cruise at 60mph without ever touch it.
Old 01-03-16, 03:03 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

if interstates didn't have the outrageously low speed limits they do i'd "drive" the car more. i honestly use cruise control more often than not as a way to avoid going "too fast" when i'm on a local road or highway at night and there's nobody else around to set the pace. if i'm able to leave cruise set and not be slowed down by other cars then all is well.

if there's other cars around though you can bet that i'll be actively trying to get around slow pokes without LS's so i can get back to maintaining my desired cruising speed. all the oomphf of the 1UZ makes it good for getting around all those fewer-cylindered cars of the people. some people just don't realize that the pinnacle of 90s japanese luxury is behind them and stay in the left lane crawling along lol.
Old 01-03-16, 10:12 PM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

I usually drive vs cruise control. Anytime I use cruise control I want to fall asleep almost instantly. So driving is how I keep myself awake.

Driving in the states on highways is really boring. Back in Jamaica there were more corners than straight stretches, pot holes deeper than wells here in the states, drivers overtaking around corners, most persons did double the speed limit...literally, etc. It was dangerous but it required driving skills to make it home safe everyday. No possibe way you could fall asleep.
Old 01-04-16, 07:37 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never used cruise control for anything at all.

The only times I've used CC, was to demonstrate to my customers on how to use it.
Old 01-04-16, 08:01 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On long highways that's as straight as a ray of light, yes, cruise control. Even have it on my motorcycle.

Twisties or traffic? Surely not.
Old 01-04-16, 09:02 AM
Corey140
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually do both. Set the cruise but still actively drive because I forgot that I put the cruise control on .
Old 01-04-16, 09:40 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Corkman
I just drove up I-5 from San Diego to Sacramento Saturday. I was lucky to find a few guys that were actually driving their cars. We let each other in and out of lanes to maneuver around trucks and cruise control zombies. It just seems like the art and love for driving is dying.
you can use both cruise control and still actively drive the car when you need to go around someone.

I go on 400 mile trips at 100mph max speed (Europe) and i use cruise control all the time, when i get someone behind me or in front of me, i get off cruise control make the move and then back to cc.

Why would I not use cc on 400 mile trip?
Old 01-04-16, 09:54 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I use cruise control. Keeps me from zoning out and doing 85mph on accident.
Old 01-04-16, 09:55 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I've done this same drive as OP... I can only do cruise control for a hour or so and I start getting bored or tired. I-5 you gotta dodge a lot on non sense and there isn't much to look at on several long stretches. Taking off cruise control and finding a pack of 2-3 other cars to roll into usually makes the trip more engaging and before you know it you've covered 100 miles or so. Coming from Lodi I have to take off cruise control by Patterson or sooner lol.
Old 01-04-16, 10:11 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Corkman
Not sure I would say that desire to use cruise control on a long, boring 500 mile drive constitutes "love for driving is dying". Typically, I use cruise control so I don't speed (too much).

Lack of cruise control is one of the minor annoyances of the LFA, btw.
Old 01-04-16, 12:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

adaptive (radar) cruise is the best thing ever. no gas or brakes needed for miles and miles as car slows down and speeds up as conditions warrant...

makes it so much more relaxing.

don't get Corkman's point about 'actually driving' on largely empty and straight divided highways and interstates. now a twisty/hilly road, heck yeah.
Old 01-06-16, 10:21 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
adaptive (radar) cruise is the best thing ever. no gas or brakes needed for miles and miles as car slows down and speeds up as conditions warrant...

makes it so much more relaxing.

don't get Corkman's point about 'actually driving' on largely empty and straight divided highways and interstates. now a twisty/hilly road, heck yeah.
Radar cruise is extremely annoying to the vehicle behind you since it requires braking to maintain 150 feet interval from car you are following.

On a long distance trip over a divided highway cruise control is crucial to maintain a steady speed. If everyone would set CC @ a proper speed it would be much safer for everyone + better MPG.
Old 01-06-16, 09:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Traffic in the D.C. area is too dense, and with too much stop-and-go, to use CC for any significant amount. Also, it should not be used on slippery roads, regardless of the traffic level.

Quick Reply: Cruise control on trips or actually driving your car?