Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Upfront payments when trading in on and old lease

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-16, 11:37 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
It really shouldn't depend on what you can afford every month. If you are leasing because you cannot afford the payments, you should not be leasing.

When you put money down on a lease, you are just prepaying lease payments. If the vehicle were to be totaled or stolen or something, you loose that downpayment money because the insurance company pays the vehicle owner...Lexus Financial Services...not you.

If you have some amount of money to put down, put it in a bank account and make a chunk of the payment out of it every month, then the money stays with you and is safe.

If you rented an apartment would you put $5000 down to lower the monthly rent? No...same thing here.

I've never leased before and probably never will.

But aren't most advertised lease specials predicated on a certain amount of money down? I guess what i'm asking is, is the down payment always negotiable?
Old 01-05-16, 12:12 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by evident

But aren't most advertised lease specials predicated on a certain amount of money down? I guess what i'm asking is, is the down payment always negotiable?
The "amount due at signing" would include deposits, fees, and the down payment. The down payment affects the capitalized cost and result in a change in the monthly payment. In my opinion, the advertised down payment is what is needed to get the advertised monthly payment to the manufacturers desired price point for their marketing campaign. In the case of Lexus, the December to Remember promo.

Down payments are negotiable (but it changes the monthly payment), and like the comments above, I would put no money down on a lease. Typically the promotional money factor is such that it is better to invest the money than pay down the lease.
Old 01-05-16, 12:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by evident

Yeah the advertised deals all include money down. Its like anything else, what they advertise and what you can get or should get are different things.

You can always put nothing down, it just increases the payment.
Old 01-05-16, 12:59 PM
vedro
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried one pay lease options? I see these advertised at various dealerships and they tend to be 20-30% cheaper in aggregate than staggered lease payments.

It would make sense to get in a one lease payment agreement and put the balance on a credit card with zero % APR for like 21 to 24 months. Slowly paying off the credit card would mimic having a staggered lease only cheaper, no? Has anyone tried this?
Old 01-05-16, 04:38 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To all:

I've never leased before (always financed and paid off as soon as I can). That's why I asked. It seems silly to put a downpayment on the lease (After all, you're "renting" the car rather than financing) but I wanted to see what the opinion was. I understand mmarshall's idea of pre-paying your lease ahead of time but it seems odd to me.

However, I've noticed that some leases are $0 but on Lexus Canada's site, they incentivize you with "Reduce lease rate by 0.1% with every $1,000 security deposit). Now, I'm guessing that the security deposit is different than a downpayment in that you get that deposit at the end of the lease. Is that a safe assumption?

I would not put anything down.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by yakim
As little as possible unless you want to buy down your monthly payment, or put multiple security deposits
Thanks.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Depends on what you think you can afford each month. In general, the more money down up front, the less the payments will be each month. That's why dealerships and automakers advertise their lease rates based on either X number of $$$$$ (or no $$$$$) down.

Though not everyone may agree, I myself tend to be of the school of thought that it is better to get as much of one's payments out of the way, as quickly as possible, and have less of the balance hanging over your head each month in debt.
Some manufacturers here allow you to make a one-time lease payment option - basically your entire lease in one lump sum at delivery. I'm not sure what the advantage of that is over monthly payments. I've done the math and the total outlay is the same (so no savings in interests). I've never inquired.
Old 01-05-16, 06:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Some manufacturers here allow you to make a one-time lease payment option - basically your entire lease in one lump sum at delivery. I'm not sure what the advantage of that is over monthly payments. I've done the math and the total outlay is the same (so no savings in interests). I've never inquired.
A friend of mine has twice leased a new ES350 for 27 months......at the same dealership. Both times, they gave him a discount off of the total lease-amount if it was all paid up front, and not month-by-month (he didn't tell me the exact amount). There are both advantages and disadvantages to doing it that way, as has already been discussed in previous posts.
Old 01-05-16, 06:56 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

However, I've noticed that some leases are $0 but on Lexus Canada's site, they incentivize you with "Reduce lease rate by 0.1% with every $1,000 security deposit). Now, I'm guessing that the security deposit is different than a downpayment in that you get that deposit at the end of the lease. Is that a safe assumption?
That is correct. Multiple Security Deposits (MSD) allow you to "buy down" the money factor and save some money. MSD can be returned if you choose not to lease again, or can be applied to any future lease thereafter.

MSD are only useful if the money factor for you is really high. Its just like for financing, lets say for whatever reason you are not tier 1 credit, so you dont qualify for the lowest rates available - if you put more money down, the banks will lower your rate for you. If for whatever reason you dont qualify for tier 1 MF, you can "buy down" the MF by applying MSD.

A friend of mine has twice leased a new ES350 for 27 months......at the same dealership. Both times, they gave him a discount off of the total lease-amount if it was all paid up front, and not month-by-month (he didn't tell me the exact amount). There are both advantages and disadvantages to doing it that way, as has already been discussed in previous posts.
One pay lease will save you two ways - 1) they usually will reduce the MF itself or because 2) there is no balance for the MF to be able to collect interest on. All other factors are usually equal - rebates, purchase price, fees, residual, etc.
Old 01-06-16, 07:17 AM
wasjr
Instructor

To all:

I've never leased before (always financed and paid off as soon as I can). That's why I asked. It seems silly to put a downpayment on the lease (After all, you're "renting" the car rather than financing) but I wanted to see what the opinion was.
While legally you are renting the vehicle, I (an **** financial guy) look at it like I am buying the difference (essentially the depreciation) between the negotiated capitalized cost and the contracted residual. I know on the front end what my out of pocket is going to be, and it does not matter what the vehicle is actually worth at the end of the lease. At the end, I can hand back the vehicle, or buy at residual, depending on the actual market value and/or if I want to keep the vehicle.

I have a buddy that just came off a one pay lease of a GS. He did it because 1) the one pay was discounted more than the money factor of a multi payment lease, 2) it avoided hassle of regular payments, and 3) he was selling his current vehicle and had the cash.
Old 01-06-16, 08:42 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not sure, though, that you can directly compare auto leases to credit cards. A leased vehicle is only "yours" for 2-4 years, and doesn't really belong to you in the first place, but, legally, to the bank or dealership/manufacturer (in effect, you're renting it). Most of the things that people buy with credit cards (even if they max the cards out or over-stretch their credit limits) iare not things that they are going to have to return after a few years and have the physical condition of those things checked....it's charged to their account, it's theirs, and that's generally the end of it.
I wasn't intending to "directly" compare auto leasing and credit card financing. I was merely taking another example of what "a lot" of people may do with their finances, suggesting that merely following the crowd is not the way to make a financial decision.

Here's a perfect example of how people make important financial decisions:

Originally Posted by wasjr
I have a buddy that just came off a one pay lease of a GS. He did it because ... 2) it avoided hassle of regular payments, and 3) he was selling his current vehicle and had the cash.
It's too much trouble to set up auto pay with the leasing company, and he's got cash lying around burning a hole in his pocket, so why not pre-pay and take the risk? People will rationalize their decisions however they see fit--but that doesn't necessarily make it a wise financial decision.

Last edited by tex2670; 01-06-16 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-06-16, 09:49 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Originally Posted by tex2670
I wasn't intending to "directly" compare auto leasing and credit card financing. I was merely taking another example of what "a lot" of people may do with their finances, suggesting that merely following the crowd is not the way to make a financial decision.

Here's a perfect example of how people make important financial decisions:

It's too much trouble to set up auto pay with the leasing company, and he's got cash lying around burning a hole in his pocket, so why not pre-pay and take the risk? People will rationalize their decisions however they see fit--but that doesn't necessarily make it a wise financial decision.
You conveniently left out my buddy's number one reason for his decision... that the discount for the single pay was more than the money factor on the multi-pay lease. He made a financial decision on what to do with his cash, based on this discount and potential investment returns.

Also, I don't understand your point about the risk in a one pay lease if you have the cash, vs a multi-pay lease?
Old 01-06-16, 12:59 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

You conveniently left out my buddy's number one reason for his decision... that the discount for the single pay was more than the money factor on the multi-pay lease. He made a financial decision on what to do with his cash, based on this discount and potential investment returns.
Yes--I left out the legitimate reason. Once you have that, why add other rationalizations? "I prepaid because they gave me a sweet deal." End of story.

Also, I don't understand your point about the risk in a one pay lease if you have the cash, vs a multi-pay lease?
This:
When you put money down on a lease, you are just prepaying lease payments. If the vehicle were to be totaled or stolen or something, you lose that downpayment money because the insurance company pays the vehicle owner...Lexus Financial Services...not you.

If you have some amount of money to put down, put it in a bank account and make a chunk of the payment out of it every month, then the money stays with you and is safe.

If you rented an apartment would you put $5000 down to lower the monthly rent? No...same thing here.

Last edited by tex2670; 01-06-16 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-06-16, 03:46 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For lease vs buy / finance, I never own a car for more than 8 years. That was my longest actually, my other cars I sold within 1.5 years.

Using this math, I was able to lease my car for x for 36 months, if I financed it for the same months, the payment would be 3x. So if I lease 3 different car for the same x monthly for 9 years, my lease payments would equal to buying 1 car.

Now if at year 9, I sell the car, I anticipate that if I put the same miles every year as my lease allowance, I will have a car with 100k miles on it, and I have never sold a car private, always trade, so I will go with a trade in allowance of maybe 4k. Using that math, I will have to own my car for than 8.5 years for the financing to make sense over leasing.

I didn't include the time value of money, but it would just swing it to maybe 8, or even 7.5 years, which frankly I probably won't keep the car for that long.
Old 01-07-16, 05:11 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Its sounds like you are advocating leasing as being financially more sound than financing over a nine year period and Im not sure thats correct. Typically a loan is twice a lease price and not three times as you stated for a 36 month period with zero down on both.
I ran an RC350 through the Lexus payment estimator with an MSRP of $45,965. Lease payment is $649 and finance price is $1,359 both for 36 months with zero down on both.

Leasing costs, for 9 years on the same car is $70,092, plus in CT the sales tax for 3 years would be another $4,380. Plus another 3K for fee's and things for three cars. Total payment for 9 years is approx. $77,500 for 9 years of leasing. After nine years you have nothing to sell or trade.

Financing costs, cost of car $48,924 after 36 months plus another $2,872 for sales tax bringing your out of pocket to $51,796. After nine year you would still have a car worth around 8 to 10K I would think bringing your out of pocket costs to around $42,796.

If my numbers are close it would cost around 34K to extra to lease for the same car for 9 years versus financing it. Granted there would be more maint costs on a 9 year old car but not 34K worth. The other thing is if financing in years 4 through 9 look at the cash you would monthly to spend with no payments to make.

Originally Posted by mikez
For lease vs buy / finance, I never own a car for more than 8 years. That was my longest actually, my other cars I sold within 1.5 years.

Using this math, I was able to lease my car for x for 36 months, if I financed it for the same months, the payment would be 3x. So if I lease 3 different car for the same x monthly for 9 years, my lease payments would equal to buying 1 car.

Now if at year 9, I sell the car, I anticipate that if I put the same miles every year as my lease allowance, I will have a car with 100k miles on it, and I have never sold a car private, always trade, so I will go with a trade in allowance of maybe 4k. Using that math, I will have to own my car for than 8.5 years for the financing to make sense over leasing.

I didn't include the time value of money, but it would just swing it to maybe 8, or even 7.5 years, which frankly I probably won't keep the car for that long.
Old 01-07-16, 05:57 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was able to lease my car for 3x less than financing on a monthly basis Lexus have horrible leases so I wouldn't use them.

Leasing makes sense on selective basis if you can get a good deal that's all. I have the cash to buy the car out right so for me I just made the choice that nets me a better deal based on personal preference. Certainly would not advocate buying, financing, or leasing if one can not afford the car to begin with.
Old 01-07-16, 06:31 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You must have put a pretty good down payment on the lease or the interest rate was very high on the financing to get a lease 3 times cheaper than financing. I just used Lexus as an example, what brand did you buy?

Originally Posted by mikez
I was able to lease my car for 3x less than financing on a monthly basis Lexus have horrible leases so I wouldn't use them.

Leasing makes sense on selective basis if you can get a good deal that's all. I have the cash to buy the car out right so for me I just made the choice that nets me a better deal based on personal preference. Certainly would not advocate buying, financing, or leasing if one can not afford the car to begin with.

Quick Reply: Upfront payments when trading in on and old lease