Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bentley Turbo R

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-15, 09:05 AM
SteveMason
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Bentley Turbo R

I own a Lexus Ct200h because I need very good fuel economy for all the driving I do, However I have always thought in the back of my mind of getting something completely opposite as a project car for weekends.

I have always liked large British cars, and was originally thinking of a cheap Rolls Royce. The problem with a Rolls however is it is not sporty at all and I like the prospect of some engine mods and increasing the horsepower/ handling so I started to think about the Bentley, the Turbo R in particular.

I then started to think it could be interesting to add some modern touches to an old, somewhat "affordable" Bentley from the 80's or 90's. I played around with Photoshop and added modern Mercedes side mirrors and day time running light LEDs from an E class. Then I changed the light cluster with a more modern LED set up to mimic the current day Mulsanne (which ironically was designed to mimic much older Bentley's)

Of course the most important part is the new 20 - 22" black rims with Bentley logo added to the hub. The finishing touch is the 14" Brakes with the calipers finished in a deep Bentley green. I know what you're thinking, the cost! I have done some research for my current car, and can source them for just over $3,000 USD which is a great deal considering the impact they make.

I would also like to add a Duel Chrome custom exhaust set up to give it a bit more presents on the road both looks and sound wise.

Obviously this is just a dream at the moment however it is somewhat achievable considering that these Bentley's can be purchased between $7,000-$25,000 (depending on age and condition of course.) The modification I require would be ballpark: $6,000-$12,000 making it between $20,000 to $30,000 which I think would still be a great deal for the end result as I think it could look quite amazing... unless I may be delusional and it looks like a tacky POS
hahaha

Old 12-29-15, 09:37 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd leave the headlights and mirrors alone if it were me. Maybe change out the grill to the mesh style and put one of those fling B hood ornaments on it. Any car that big needs a proper hood ornament IMO.

Also, you might want to look at a late 90's/early 2000's Arnage if they're in your budget. Just make sure you get the Red Label car that has the proper 6.75 Liter Bentley engine in it, the green label cars had BMW engines that didn't make as much power(and who would want a BMW engine in their bentley anyways).

I think the biggest thing to look for when buying one of these is service history. Don't even look at cars without a documented service history, you'll spend double what you paid for the car trying to sort it out mechanically.