Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why mod a car and then sell it once its complete?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-15, 04:13 PM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. I don't get it at all. Happens in the gtr and lambo forums all the time. I can somewhat understand if you are doing the wrench work yourself as a hobby but more often that's not the case. The usual scenario is guy sends his 200k lambo to a tuner, spends 100k in mods, gets car back 4 months later, and then puts it up for sale 4 weeks later for 225k. Makes no damn sense to me.
Old 12-28-15, 08:49 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Somewhere in that lofty financial stratosphere the guy's getting some kind of enjoyment from owning, however briefly, a car built to his own specifications. He may find that his dream car is totally impractical - unless he builds his own road course on his thousand-acre backyard, just south of the polo field . . . or just puts it in his glass-lined living room for his neighbors to envy. Then again, there are probably a number of people sitting behind keyboards at this moment dreaming of their particular automotive paradise and posting about it as though it were real. To those whose fevered teenage brows are conjuring the mods they'd make to their own personal LaFerraris, dream on. Post pictures when you're done.
Old 12-29-15, 11:05 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
There are story tellers, story listeners and then people who actually live the story.
+1
Old 12-30-15, 06:07 PM
mannye
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Those of you that don't get it, be happy. You will never have the problem. You will be perfectly happy without the gnawing, insane itch to modify or make from scratch.

You are the guys that buy a Dell instead of spending hours and hours pouring over motherboard specs. You get a Bose sound system and are perfectly happy instead of spending years auditioning preamps, amps, speakers and turntables.

Be happy you aren't afflicted.
Old 12-30-15, 08:08 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by mannye
Those of you that don't get it, be happy. You will never have the problem. You will be perfectly happy without the gnawing, insane itch to modify or make from scratch.

You are the guys that buy a Dell instead of spending hours and hours pouring over motherboard specs. You get a Bose sound system and are perfectly happy instead of spending years auditioning preamps, amps, speakers and turntables .

Be happy you aren't afflicted.
I think you, Sir, are the one who doesn't understand.

If the below is what you actually wrote, then it would make sense:

Originally Posted by mannye
Those of you that don't get it, be happy. You will never have the problem. You will be perfectly happy without the gnawing, insane itch to modify or make from scratch, then sell it right away before getting to use it.

You are the guys that buy a Dell instead of spending hours and hours pouring over motherboard specs. You get a Bose sound system and are perfectly happy instead of spending years auditioning preamps, amps, speakers and turntables , then sell it right away before getting to use it. .
Otherwise, I disagree with you about labeling "us" into that category of people who are content with things the way they are out of the box. Not true at all. It's the selling before using and enjoying...and wasting money part that we disagree with, not the building, research, and modifying part. Comprehend?
Old 12-31-15, 05:17 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I think part of it is that some of these people(not all) just like to be vulgar and flash their cash around, they really get their rocks off by spending the money and talking about it on the internet forums, to their friends, their club members, the tuner guys at the shop, etc. They really don't care about driving the car once its done.
Old 12-31-15, 08:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

there's not much to 'get' here. some enjoy the mod 'journey' and once that's over, they're over the vehicle. it's not about money or just driving the car once all the mods someone wants to do are done, they're just over it because the modding 'project' is done.

there is one other angle here and that is, usually with a BUNCH of mods come some kind of trade-off like noise, rough handling, other quirks making a highly modified car nothing like the car it originally was, and sometimes i think that can be tiresome.

modding can definitely be an additiction.
Old 12-31-15, 12:16 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
there's not much to 'get' here. some enjoy the mod 'journey' and once that's over, they're over the vehicle. it's not about money or just driving the car once all the mods someone wants to do are done, they're just over it because the modding 'project' is done.

there is one other angle here and that is, usually with a BUNCH of mods come some kind of trade-off like noise, rough handling, other quirks making a highly modified car nothing like the car it originally was, and sometimes i think that can be tiresome.

modding can definitely be an additiction.
That's why unless its going to be a full out race car, you really need to research how your mods will effect driveability. Some people's tolerances for loud exhaust, lumpy idles, reliability, stiff/crashy suspension, etc varies. What one person might find acceptable could be totally unacceptable to somebody else.

Generally if the car is going to be driven on the street, I avoid things that make it a total PITA to do so like roll cages, suspension that sits 1" off the ground, getting rid of heat or a/c, locking differentials, having such a big cam that it stalls/bucks/surges unless you give it a bunch of throttle, etc.

If its a daily driver, then I really don't even mess with engine mods except maybe for an exhaust.
Old 01-01-16, 11:55 AM
Kobrakai
Driver School Candidate

I've done this exact thing too many times, and for me, it's all in the hunt of a car that will challenge me as much as possible so I can continue to enjoy the car. Like others have said, once the journey is over it loses it's purpose, especially if you love working on cars, and I might just love working on them more than I enjoy driving them since I work fulltime as a courier
Old 01-01-16, 07:44 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think these are people who are never really happy with what they have and always want something better. When they get their car to the pinnacle of performance and looks they realize it still isn't necessarily going to make them happy and they move on to the next project. And lest anyone be offended, I'm coming from my own personal experience. While I don't mod engine components, I did have an '03 GS300 Sportdesign that I had fitted with L-Tuned side skirts and springs and BBS RGR rims. The car was gorgeous. Then I decided I needed a car with more power and a built-in satellite radio and traded it. End of story.
Attached Images  

Last edited by dseag2; 01-01-16 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-02-16, 06:06 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I've seen this a lot in the Supra community and it drives me nuts. I see guys build a crazy powerful Supra, then sell it before they even drive it. They move on to another car and then talk about selling that to get another Supra. I can understand not liking the new car as much and wanting the old one back, but this scenario happens way too often. I've seen it a lot with former SC300 and SC400 owners too.

It seems to be the journey of building the car that seems to be what guys love. The journey is over once the car ends unless you start over with another car or upgrade parts even further on your built cars. I can understand it but I never sell my cars once I finish them. I just buy a new car and hang on to the old one until I get the urge to mod it again.
Old 01-02-16, 07:52 AM
z2g2gs
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE="dseag2;9306712"]I think these are people who are never really happy with what they have and always want something better. When they get their car to the pinnacle of performance and looks they realize it still isn't necessarily going to make them happy and they move on to the next project.
Old 01-02-16, 07:55 AM
z2g2gs
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The above quote best sums it up.
Old 01-02-16, 08:50 AM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

I got that itch and I have gone through the build a couple times (with the same car though) and I honestly can say I understand the feeling about building something else. But here is where I differ from those people. I refuse to waste all the money I just spent on the car along with the hard work by selling the car for a fraction of what is technically worth. So I haven't sold the car and I don't want to sell the car.

I have a 300zx Twin Turbo that I hope to have forever but I also want to build something else and that is where my problem is! I want something else but I'm not selling my current car so I won't get any money right away to buy something for the next project. I would have to save up to get something new and if I do this every time, I'll end up with a dozen cars sitting in my house!... can't do that... so I do the best next thing. I lease my other 2 cars (currently GS350 and IS350) and I change those every couple years to get the itch of having something new satisfied... kind of... 'cause I don't modify or do anything to the leased cars, I just enjoy them as they are.
Old 01-02-16, 09:49 PM
andromeda1
Driver School Candidate

I think some people are just ready for a new project. I fully modded my old car and kept it for about 2 ish years afterwards. At that point, I was ready for something new! It's somewhat similar to a normal consumer...they buy one car, enjoy it for awhile, get another one and so on and so fourth!

Quick Reply: Why mod a car and then sell it once its complete?