Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

🚗 Best cars for making it to 200,000 miles 📅

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-15, 05:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Don't all the Lexus sedans undercut their rivals?
The Acura ILX and TLX sedans far undercut the base price of any (current) Lexus sedan, though it could be argued that Lexus does not produce a true rival in that price range. The base level IS coves with a V6 (albeit a small one), white both of the Acura sedans come with fours in base trim.

Hope you had a nice holiday today, Jill.
Old 12-25-15, 08:11 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I expect my 04 330i to make it to 200k sometime in the next 2-3 years.
Old 12-26-15, 05:54 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Well, I have 3 vehicles that have a quarter million miles and still drive excellent. 93 SC400 has 315k, 1999 GS300 has 220k, and 01 Sequoia has 260k. Guess they should add those...

And IMAO, I'd never trust an Odyssey, nor would I trust any Ford product (besides power stroke) past 200k. These opinions are all based on real life experiences, BTW.
Old 12-26-15, 07:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr645
Wow, I would die of boredom if I had to drive any of those cars 200,000 miles.
haha, truth.

Originally Posted by SC400slide
And IMAO, I'd never trust an Odyssey, nor would I trust any Ford product (besides power stroke) past 200k. These opinions are all based on real life experiences, BTW.
you mean the ancient rusted out ford explorer you bought that was probably pulled out of a lake?
Old 12-26-15, 07:30 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tsturbo
Would love to own a bmw, mb or Audi someday.....but I am scared about long-term reliability which Acura and Lexus have great track records in this area. I would be buying and not leasing, so no German vehicles for me.
Audi has decent reliability these days, and I also would be depressed driving one of the 200k+ miles cars mentioned in the article. I could probably drive my S5 for 200k miles and still be excited about it.
Old 12-26-15, 07:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have never really understood the appeal of owning a Lexus to 200k. To me, a lease is so much better as you get a new car every fews years with all of the updated newer tech, warranty, and maintenance included. The updated tech is what is important to me IMO for luxury brand.
Some people don't care about having the latest car, and some actually enjoy owning and caring for the same car for a long period of time.

Some people are value conscious (yes, even at high price points) and there is no question that buying a new Lexus and driving it 10+ years is more economical than leasing every 3 years.
Old 12-26-15, 07:35 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Any car can make it to 200k with proper care, but any car, even the most reliable one, will require some repairs along the way. With cheaper, basic cars parts and repairs are going to be much cheaper, but then driving a cheap basic car for 200k miles is a terrible way to spend a good chunk of your lifetime.
Old 12-26-15, 08:20 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

What is IMAO? In my awesome opinion? Arrogant? Amazing?
Old 12-27-15, 03:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Incendiary
What is IMAO? In my awesome opinion? Arrogant? Amazing?
It means "In My Arrogant Opinion".....in this case, used as a figure of speech.
Old 12-28-15, 06:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
With cheaper, basic cars parts and repairs are going to be much cheaper, but then driving a cheap basic car for 200k miles is a terrible way to spend a good chunk of your lifetime.
on that i agree with you 100%.

always chuckle when someone has a nice sports car but chooses to drive a corolla as their "daily"
Old 12-28-15, 06:49 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

always chuckle when someone has a nice sports car but chooses to drive a corolla as their "daily"
Yep, and I learned it the hard way. After the Sandy, we bought an X5 as a nice family car, and I leased a Mazda 3 to be a daily beater. Within less than a year I realized that I spend far more time (80%) driving the beater and I hated it with a passion. I couldn't stand driving it anymore, so I got an m235i, and let one of my employees drive the Mazda until the lease runs out. As they say - the greedy pay twice.
Old 12-28-15, 08:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Well, sometimes bad winters make driving a nice car either impractical or foolish from November to about March or April. Many people with nice cars in the Snow Belt, for example, simply disconnect the battery, drain out applicable fluids, and cover or garage their nice cars during the winter.....and bring them back out in the spring. They run around in AWD Subies or beaters during the winter.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-28-15 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-28-15, 08:34 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Yep, and I learned it the hard way. After the Sandy, we bought an X5 as a nice family car, and I leased a Mazda 3 to be a daily beater. Within less than a year I realized that I spend far more time (80%) driving the beater and I hated it with a passion. I couldn't stand driving it anymore, so I got an m235i, and let one of my employees drive the Mazda until the lease runs out. As they say - the greedy pay twice.
I guess we all have different standards of what is "nice". I'd love to have a Mazda 3 wagon with a stick for a daily driver, those cars handle like they're on rails and are a riot to drive.

That being said, if I were stuck in an automatic Corolla, I'd think I'd want to blow my brains out after a month from all the boredom.
Old 12-28-15, 03:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
That being said, if I were stuck in an automatic Corolla, I'd think I'd want to blow my brains out after a month from all the boredom.
I can think of worse things to drive. Have you ever sampled a Smart-for-Two?
Old 12-28-15, 03:44 PM
mmartin061
banned

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I guess we all have different standards of what is "nice". I'd love to have a Mazda 3 wagon with a stick for a daily driver, those cars handle like they're on rails and are a riot to drive.

That being said. To me a nice car is a nice car. Everyone's version is different. If I saw a 1985 Taurus on the road in mint condition. That's a nice car. Living where I do it only makes sense for me to drive a nice car, when I go back home for vacation, I have it heated and stored and this car will be my car for many many years to come because that's what " I" so chose it to be. With that being said. I won't drive an ISF in the snow, when it rains unless I get caught in it, when there is a tornado, when well you all get the point. Reason being because that's what "I" Want.

Quick Reply: 🚗 Best cars for making it to 200,000 miles 📅