Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura Precision Concept

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-15, 05:35 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Acura Precision Concept

Acura will unveil the Acura Precision Concept at the 2016 North American International Auto Show in Detroit on January 12 at 8:00 am ET, the brand announced today. Created by the Acura Design Studio in California, the Acura Precision Concept will help set the direction for future Acura design; in particular, the next generation of performance-luxury sedans.

"The Acura Precision Concept will signal the stronger and sharper focus of Acura styling on our core DNA we call 'precision crafted performance'," said Dave Marek, global creative director for the Acura brand. "It is our intention to more strongly express performance through design and the Acura Precision Concept will serve as the inspiration for the styling and proportion of the next-generation of Acura vehicles, especially for our sedans."

Acura today also announced details of its launch plans for the next-generation NSX supercar, coming to market next spring. Acura is on track to post its 4th consecutive year of U.S. sales growth in 2015, and best sales since 2007, with sales up 6.9 percent through November.
Old 12-19-15, 05:36 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up C&d

Determined to once again prove that the Germans don’t have a lock on deeming their creations “precise,” Acura calls back to its caliper-waving origin with the new Precision Concept for the Detroit auto show.

Teased here before its official reveal next month, Acura claims the new car will “help set the direction for future Acura design; in particular, the next generation of performance-luxury sedans.” The supplied rendering includes no door shutlines, but given the above sentence, we’re inclined to believe the concept will be a 4-door coupe of some sort. Can we all finally just concede that the Germans won and a 4-door coupe is now no longer a thing that needs to be placed in quotes? Yeah, we know. We hate it, too. Hats off to you, Deutschland, your persistence has paid finally paid its dubious dividend. Introducing the sketch to media assembled in Detroit, Acura general manager Jon Ikeda called attention to the “unmistakable proportions” of the long hood. Speaking to C/D later in the evening, Ikeda told us that it was important to the brand that these classic luxury-sedan proportions aren’t just an illusion. That means the engine likely runs longitudinally, although we’re left guessing where the power is routed. Recall that the 2nd-generation Acura Legend’s longitudinally mounted engine still powered the front wheels.

What might be most interesting about the new concept is that it actually has a name, last seen on a production Acura product in the form of the late, beloved Integra. We asked Ikeda if the name Precision suggests that the brand might exhume the badges of its founding fathers, Integra and Legend. He neither affirmed nor denied our suspicions that future Acuras will include more vowels as standard equipment. Instead, he offered something far more important. Ikeda told us that if those iconic names do make a comeback, they can’t be applied to cars like today’s ILX and TLX. It would seem, then, that Acura’s top executive is teeing up the same sweeping overhaul that the brand’s chief designer Dave Marek hinted at when we asked about the Integra back in 2014. Beyond all that joyous news and conjecture, we have but one request for you, dear Acura. Please revive the Vigor nameplate. For only then, with Vigor in our hands and at our feet, will we be able to call our decade, this glorious, fêted decade, 100 percent complete.

Old 12-19-15, 09:30 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Has some nice RWD proportions but agree I wouldn't hold my breath. Likely a FWD/AWD setup

Maybe a boosted V6 though
Old 12-19-15, 07:42 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

God knows they need a new design direction.
Old 12-19-15, 11:36 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

None of this is newsworthy because it will still have the heavy and horrible shield grille that no one has liked since day one. A waste of space and efforts until they finally wake up and get real.
Old 12-19-15, 11:53 PM
BornDriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still based on Accord?
Old 12-20-15, 09:23 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Acura seems like they are all over the place with their designs. First they had their outlandish "unicorn" grill era. Now some of their cars, you could argues, are too bland and too conservative. I've seen the new TL many times, I think that car is decent looking but way too boring for this day and age.
Old 12-20-15, 04:49 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BornDriver
Still based on Accord?
Now, everything will be based on the modular platform first seen on the 2016 Civic.
Old 12-21-15, 12:58 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Looks like a TLX with a sharper rear end. Meh. I loved the TSX and I like the new NSX, even though it's really late to the party and too expensive. This thing shows how much Acura/Honda have lost their way and lack a coherent vision.
Old 12-21-15, 01:59 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

nice profile. I'm scared of the front beak grill
Old 12-22-15, 11:14 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Their slogan should be : " ACURA......where we are allergic to V8's and everything is too little too late "
Old 12-23-15, 07:58 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Their slogan should be : " ACURA......where we are allergic to V8's and everything is too little too late "
Well said!
Old 01-12-16, 08:34 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/acura...#slide-3766380

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/acura...#slide-3766439
Old 01-12-16, 09:05 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I thought only the Chinese do knockoffs. Since when is Acura owned by the Chinese and started knocking off Lexus products? That said, that grill is just horrific.
Old 01-12-16, 09:21 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,699 Likes on 2,285 Posts

Acura desperately needs a new corporate look no matter how they bend and twist and pull the design it still looks cheap.

Quick Reply: Acura Precision Concept