Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Favorite Brand of Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-15, 02:58 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
My personal favorite is Eneos Sustina then Castrol Edge in the gold bottle then Amsoil.
Best post in this thread!

Both eneos and Castrol Edge are great. I personally run Castrol in both my cars
Old 12-13-15, 03:25 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Whatever synthetic oil is on sale. Usually I just go to Wal-Mart and buy the 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 though, its cheaper than anything in the autoparts store, even when they do have a sale.

For my beater truck, well I can't remember the last time I changed the oil, but it still looks clean. So whatever that cheap crap I put in there must have been pretty good lol.
Old 12-13-15, 09:43 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Best post in this thread!

Both eneos and Castrol Edge are great. I personally run Castrol in both my cars
Thanks! I used Castrol Edge in the gold bottle for the longest time. I thought about using Amsoil, Motul, Liqui Moly and even Royal Purple but did the research and I prefer to use Eneos Sustina.
Old 12-14-15, 06:12 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by skiracer
What's the favorite brand of oil that the Lexus community uses and that i can find easily at most auto parts stores? I go on a lot of road trips so i like to keep a quart of oil in the trunk just in case i need it.
Any Mobil1, PP, Castrol. But top it with LubroMoly MOS2.
Old 12-14-15, 06:38 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Been using Royal Purple for a little now, catch it when it's on sale. Generally run around 10k miles before changing the oil, and the color doesn't change much or smell bad compared to new.

Used to use Mobil 1 Full Synth prior to Royal Purple though, but imo, they're both fine.
Old 12-14-15, 07:12 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

TGMO or Mobil 1 Synthetic for me
Old 12-14-15, 07:58 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have the new turbo 2.0L engine, I recommend using Rotella T6.

I had a NA V6 engine, I prefer Mobil1 or Castrol synthetic oil.
Old 12-14-15, 10:02 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by skiracer
What's the favorite brand of oil that the Lexus community uses and that i can find easily at most auto parts stores? I go on a lot of road trips so i like to keep a quart of oil in the trunk just in case i need it.
I used to use Mobil 1 Synthetic but after reading it was not a true Group 4 Synthetic I tried German Castrol which is a Group 4, got it for sale. Can't say I notice any difference but I was not really expecting too.

Make sure you keep the same brand oil in your trunk as what is in your engine, don't mix brands because there could be some compatibility issues with additives/packages though you should not have to worry about mixing oil weights if they are close from the same brand.

Has anyone confirmed if Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic is a real Group 4 full Synthetic or just a really good Group 3/blend like Mobile 1 Synthetic they label as a full synthetic in the US?
Old 12-14-15, 02:14 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I used to use Mobil 1 Synthetic but after reading it was not a true Group 4 Synthetic I tried German Castrol which is a Group 4, got it for sale. Can't say I notice any difference but I was not really expecting too.

Make sure you keep the same brand oil in your trunk as what is in your engine, don't mix brands because there could be some compatibility issues with additives/packages though you should not have to worry about mixing oil weights if they are close from the same brand.

Has anyone confirmed if Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic is a real Group 4 full Synthetic or just a really good Group 3/blend like Mobile 1 Synthetic they label as a full synthetic in the US?
Mobil 1 was one of the 1st synthetic oils & the original formula was great but that is no longer the case.
On a Porsche forum I read alot we are lucky to have a mechanic & shop owner that has years of experience maintaining exotic vehicles. He uses Castrol Syntec/Edge unless a certain vehicle requires a special oil made for it. Castrol is all I have used in my 2007 IS350 (for sale in classifieds) & my new 2015 GS-F.
Do your own research on the internet & make an informed decision. I have NO further comment on this subject.
Old 12-14-15, 04:22 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Mobil 1 is the only one i use......My mechanic shop only carry Mobil 1 & I guess keeping the same brand might be better than switching it
Old 12-14-15, 10:14 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Whatever is cheapest so that usually means Mobil 1 at Walmart. I can't say there is anything about motor oil that makes it a 'favorite' to me. My engine doesn't care either
Old 12-14-15, 10:15 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Ok sounds like I'll use Mobil 1 Synthetic. I used to run it in my old Evo . So, i'm guessing my RX 350 can handle it....
Old 12-17-15, 12:30 PM
Kupo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mobil 1 is all i use
Old 12-17-15, 02:28 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I use organic extra virgin olive oil. Donald Trump says it is anti-ISIS so I buy it.

In seriousness TGMO or Mobil 1; not saying others are better or worse but neither TGMO or Mobil 1 has causes for concerns in the past...
Old 12-18-15, 12:46 AM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

I like Amsoil, but hate buying it out of someones garage. WIll give Eneos a try.

Quick Reply: Favorite Brand of Oil?