Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LC News

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-15, 03:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i personally consider the rcf v8 a big improvement of the original one in the isf. and i think it's reflected clearly in the engine code. it's the same code and there is no change, if it's different enough toyota / lexus wouldn't be dumb enough to stay with the same code -- they are smarter than most of us here on this. if anything, even between the isf and the ls600h engine, toyota has different engine code between the two. i am not saying there is no change, in fact i think it's quite a lot of changes. but trying to defend that rcf engine is a far departure frmo the isf engine is simply in denial. stop buying into the marketing paperwork, they can make any car fly.
They share same block design, displacement and they are sport engines, thats what you mean?
Because thats what it means.

Difference between engine code in LS600h and IS-F is due to being sports engine and difference between 4.6l and 5.0l engine code is due to different displacement.

There is far bigger difference between engines in RC-F and IS-F then 1UR-FSE and 2UR-FSE or 1UR-FE.

Same goes for every new engine Toyota has presented so far in last 2 years, block design is the same yet Engineers call them all-new engines essentially - because everything but base block design has been changed.

I guess marketing should made them change the designations so we would have arguments on forums is 460hp enough for base engine in LC500 or not.
Old 12-10-15, 04:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
They share same block design, displacement and they are sport engines, thats what you mean?
Because thats what it means.

Difference between engine code in LS600h and IS-F is due to being sports engine and difference between 4.6l and 5.0l engine code is due to different displacement.

There is far bigger difference between engines in RC-F and IS-F then 1UR-FSE and 2UR-FSE or 1UR-FE.

Same goes for every new engine Toyota has presented so far in last 2 years, block design is the same yet Engineers call them all-new engines essentially - because everything but base block design has been changed.

I guess marketing should made them change the designations so we would have arguments on forums is 460hp enough for base engine in LC500 or not.
you can most definitely join ISF001 in your petition to lexus, until then, their own engine code says a lot

toyota/lexus marketing also called the 2013 LS "all new" too, so are you trying to defend that one as well or you just make a conflicting case out of yourself?
Old 12-10-15, 04:43 PM
jeffreyjje
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what happened to the pursuit of perfection? LET ME KNOW WHEN THE CONCEPT VERSION COMES OUT !! Cuz thats the one I would spend my money on. IMO the production version lacks the sex appeal that originally made everyone interested...which is usually the case & ultimately pisses most people off. So +1 to that. My hope is that by the end of its product run, later versions could get closer to what everyone actually wants.

Again, my logic is that if the concept was perfect...and if Lexus still believes in that "ultimate pursuit", then why cheapen the look or make "any" compromise? Isnt the IS, the GS, & every other b.s model they invented in the last 3 years meant for that?

Give us the semi-Supercar Coupe that rests comfortable between the LS & LFA for around $150k that we want! Toyota's new Supra should NOT overshadow a Lexus.

Last edited by jeffreyjje; 12-10-15 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-10-15, 11:11 PM
1lumpsum
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sc500.......
Old 12-11-15, 07:12 AM
Jason2801
Driver School Candidate

^ I agree the production model will be revealed at the NAIAS in 2016. All that we have are spy shots of the test mule running around. From what you can make out of it, it is pretty close to the concept in my eyes. I'm sure Lexus will have stunner looking car. As far as what is under the hood, that may be a different story but we'll have to wait and see.
Old 12-15-15, 02:54 PM
super51fan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffreyjje
Give us the semi-Supercar Coupe that rests comfortable between the LS & LFA for around $150k that we want! Toyota's new Supra should NOT overshadow a Lexus.
The new Supra should compete with the GTR regardless of what the new LC has to offer.

Also you say the Supra should not eclipse a Lexus, but then Toyota loses all the big $$$ fan boys who are chasing the name. Would Nissan rebadge the GTR35 as an infiniti when it is going to sell anyways?
Old 12-15-15, 05:48 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 1lumpsum
Sc500.......
No it is NOT an SC500. I think I myself have repeated that so many times, at the risk of coming across as pedantic. Even if deliberately obtuse journalists continue to say otherwise and/or call it LF-LC as well. The NX is not the LF-NX nor is this going to be LC500 and LC500h.

Originally Posted by jeffreyjje
So what happened to the pursuit of perfection? LET ME KNOW WHEN THE CONCEPT VERSION COMES OUT !! Cuz thats the one I would spend my money on. IMO the production version lacks the sex appeal that originally made everyone interested...which is usually the case & ultimately pisses most people off. So +1 to that. My hope is that by the end of its product run, later versions could get closer to what everyone actually wants.

Again, my logic is that if the concept was perfect...and if Lexus still believes in that "ultimate pursuit", then why cheapen the look or make "any" compromise? Isnt the IS, the GS, & every other b.s model they invented in the last 3 years meant for that?

Have you seen the car yet? I understand some aspects of your complaints though, regarding the design. But one can hardly tell what it looks like on the exterior, let alone the interior. I wouldn't rely on that rendering just yet.

A Supra successor is likely not being carved out for the same category, so one can't be too sure of Toyota's targets for that one. Both cars have been signed off since 2014, independent of each other of course.

Originally Posted by Jason2801
^ I agree the production model will be revealed at the NAIAS in 2016. All that we have are spy shots of the test mule running around. From what you can make out of it, it is pretty close to the concept in my eyes. I'm sure Lexus will have stunner looking car. As far as what is under the hood, that may be a different story but we'll have to wait and see.
It's not a test mule, that's the production body running around, thus strictly a verification prototype. I really wouldn't ascribe the term "test mule" to every camouflaged test vehicle in spy shots, as 90% of time anything in camouflage is the Real McCoy and not some slapped together "mule".

Any mules of the LC, were tested in Japan during the 2013-2014 period. Prototypes have been testing probably for 1 year now, with these showing up a few months ago in the US and mainland Europe.
Old 12-17-15, 02:47 PM
AKnapp
CL Editor

Default more details here

a few more details on the LC 500 here...
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/n...l-steam-ahead/
Old 12-17-15, 07:22 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm sure it will be worth it, but $150k just killed it for me.
Old 12-17-15, 07:40 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
That 5.0 V8 may have ancient roots but Lexus are the only luxury make offering atmospheric engines on their sporty models instead of going with turbos like everyone else. There might be a small market for that. I'm more optimistic about the hybrid - more power and less fuel consumption is good, hopefully they've made the planetary gear transmission more direct-feeling than on the GS450h. Lexus should have gone one step further and made a plugin performance hybrid LC to rival the i8 or the Model S.
Why should Lexus copy everyone with turbo's. I drive IS200t's around everyday and I hate them. Well, hate is too strong but I miss the IS250.
Also don't care if the engine uses old tech. Corvette has been using a pushrod engine for 50 years and it will kick the crap out of most cars. Including ours. Getting it right is more important. Nothing like a big V8 for power and torque. That's what I want.
Old 12-17-15, 09:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Ice350
Why should Lexus copy everyone with turbo's. I drive IS200t's around everyday and I hate them. Well, hate is too strong but I miss the IS250.
Also don't care if the engine uses old tech. Corvette has been using a pushrod engine for 50 years and it will kick the crap out of most cars. Including ours. Getting it right is more important. Nothing like a big V8 for power and torque. That's what I want.
good luck with emission though, i don't think that's going to be a choice anymore if these auto companies want to survive. going with turbo is almost like not a choice by lexus.
Old 12-17-15, 11:01 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So same engine as RC F and GS F, in a sexier body and more luxury, and it would be 150k? I was fine with the car until I see the 150k estimated price...
At this price point, my choice would be S63 Coupe ( granted its little more than 150k ), or at least a loaded M6...
Old 12-18-15, 01:31 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Dang, that's way more than I had imagined this unit to be. At least from the test car photos, I don't see anything exotic enough to justify such a price point. Hope it all makes more sense soon.

Now, someone above just mentioned they hate driving the IS200t, and miss the IS250. I've got to hear more on that...
Old 12-18-15, 10:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i just hope the 150k figure is wrong. it's hard to picture the car at 150k when the LS is under 100K
Old 12-18-15, 11:04 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i just hope the 150k figure is wrong. it's hard to picture the car at 150k when the LS is under 100K
I figured it would be more in the $90-125K range. Maybe there is extensive use of exotic materials?

If it is $150K, that gives me hope that something could fit in-between the RC and LC.. here's to hoping a LF-SC concept comes out

Quick Reply: Lexus LC News