Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LC News

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-15, 10:00 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
This is a bit ridiculous - this is going to be Flagship / Halo car for Lexus and they are putting a 10 year old engine in it?
This seems to be the norm for Lexus, most of their high end stuff have very dated powertrains. In all honesty, I have never really taken their F stuff very seriously. BMW, Audi and MB do it so much better.
Old 12-06-15, 01:21 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This seems to be the norm for Lexus, most of their high end stuff have very dated powertrains. In all honesty, I have never really taken their F stuff very seriously. BMW, Audi and MB do it so much better.
Lexus competes with cars from another dimension
Old 12-06-15, 02:56 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree with you, but let's not forget that BMW and MB also have had decades to engineer and perfect their strategies for their performance brands. The first M3 and early AMGs didn't have much to offer besides more power and really the same body panels. That was their original allure, being discreet cars that didn't look much different but had better performance. Let us give Lexus a little credit and time.
Old 12-06-15, 03:18 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

I have no problem at all with them using the V8. It's a great engine that most reviewers speak highly of. I don't think the average, wealthy executive walking around a Lexus showroom would care much about tunable turbos and drag racing anyway. Think of the original roll the SC played. I look at this car as filling the same roll, part II.
Old 12-06-15, 03:26 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I have no problem at all with them using the V8. It's a great engine that most reviewers speak highly of. I don't think the average, wealthy executive walking around a Lexus showroom would care much about tunable turbos and drag racing anyway. Think of the original roll the SC played. I look at this car as filling the same roll, part II.
fact is that a NA 5.0 is antiquated tech. the 4.6L twin turbo that MB uses in all its high end models has just as much hp, loads more torque, and gets better MPG numbers to boot. There really is no downside but I guess we will just have to wait and see what tomoco has in store for us
Old 12-06-15, 05:31 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
fact is that a NA 5.0 is antiquated tech. the 4.6L twin turbo that MB uses in all its high end models has just as much hp, loads more torque, and gets better MPG numbers to boot. There really is no downside but I guess we will just have to wait and see what tomoco has in store for us
The Lexus 5.0 has some pretty advanced features:

The Ford 5.0 'Coyote' and 5.2 'Voodoo' also seem pretty awesome for NA V8's.
Old 12-06-15, 06:52 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
What he said.
Old 12-06-15, 09:01 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most these turbo's are a new fad to get cheap numbers and fuel efficiency. Lets see how they hold up in 5 years time.

Btw, the GS F has had positive driving reactions. Its not a drag monster but the impressions seem pretty good. This car is brand new. I dont think its based on any current chassis(?) so there's already a positive.
Old 12-07-15, 03:02 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Yes, but it still lacks in torque and needs to be driven really hard to give some action. The sound is actually the only real positive thing ( GS-F, RC-F) journalists and others mentions about it if you listen carefully. I know that this engine has been updated but I have driven it in the IS-F back in 2012 and I do agree with the reviews. This engine is for "sound enthusiast" not something you really put up against the competition, especially not in 2017/18.
Old 12-07-15, 04:33 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
Most these turbo's are a new fad to get cheap numbers and fuel efficiency. Lets see how they hold up in 5 years time.
Lol. BMW's first round of turbo V8 and I6's were bad, but Mercedes and Audi's engines are tracking well so far. And I guess it won't be a bad fad anymore when Lexus finally debut's its turbo V8.

Btw, the GS F has had positive driving reactions. Its not a drag monster but the impressions seem pretty good. This car is brand new. I dont think its based on any current chassis(?) so there's already a positive.
What do you mean? Both the engine and chassis are massaged versions of already-existing components.
Old 12-07-15, 07:36 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Here we go again... The 5.0-litre V8 in the RC-F and LC is NOT an old engine...

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

The 2UR-GSE is an all-alloy quad-cam, 32-valve V8 with Yamaha-designed high-flow cylinder heads, titanium inlet valves, high-lift camshafts and dual-length intake. It has D4-S gasoline port and direct injection, Dual VVT-i with electric VVT-iE inlet camshaft actuation. Otto and Atkinson Cycles. Compression ratio of 12.3:1

Only the engine block (and therefore, the displacement) is shared with the original 2UR V8. The moving bits, specifically the valvetrain, is completely new and state-of-the-art with on-demand Atkinson and Otto cycles -- Atkinson cycle for efficiency at lower engine speeds and Otto cycle for power at higher engine speeds. No other automaker in the world offers this type of valvetrain, not Audi, not BMW, not Mercedes-Benz.

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
Yes, but it still lacks in torque and needs to be driven really hard to give some action. The sound is actually the only real positive thing ( GS-F, RC-F) journalists and others mentions about it if you listen carefully. I know that this engine has been updated but I have driven it in the IS-F back in 2012 and I do agree with the reviews. This engine is for "sound enthusiast" not something you really put up against the competition, especially not in 2017/18.
The 5.0-litre V8 used in the original IS-F and the 5.0-litre V8 used in the RC-F (and upcoming LC) are different engines, with a completely new valvetrain (see above). The new V8 did not come out until it was first introduced in the RC-F in 2014; it was NOT offered in the 2012 IS-F. Unless you have driven the RC-F, you have not driven this new V8.

Most these turbo's are a new fad to get cheap numbers and [cheap, easy] fuel efficiency [for regulators, including EPA]. Lets see how they hold up in 5 years time.
Fixed it for you. Turbos have been slapped on smaller-displacement engines in the hope that they will give the on-demand power of larger-displacement engines but the fuel efficiency of the smaller displacement engines when driven conservatively. They work for the EPA and European fuel economy cycles but, by-and-large, the fuel economy sticker numbers have not met real-life fuel consumption figures.
Old 12-07-15, 08:09 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by RXSF
I agree with you, but let's not forget that BMW and MB also have had decades to engineer and perfect their strategies for their performance brands. The first M3 and early AMGs didn't have much to offer besides more power and really the same body panels. That was their original allure, being discreet cars that didn't look much different but had better performance. Let us give Lexus a little credit and time.
Are you kidding me? early amg's were full of varierty, c36, c43, e class hammer, sl73.
Old 12-07-15, 08:27 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by Sulu
Here we go again... The 5.0-litre V8 in the RC-F and LC is NOT an old engine...

Only the engine block (and therefore, the displacement) is shared with the original 2UR V8. The moving bits, specifically the valvetrain, is completely new and state-of-the-art with on-demand Atkinson and Otto cycles -- Atkinson cycle for efficiency at lower engine speeds and Otto cycle for power at higher engine speeds. No other automaker in the world offers this type of valvetrain, not Audi, not BMW, not Mercedes-Benz.

The 5.0-litre V8 used in the original IS-F and the 5.0-litre V8 used in the RC-F (and upcoming LC) are different engines, with a completely new valvetrain (see above). The new V8 did not come out until it was first introduced in the RC-F in 2014; it was NOT offered in the 2012 IS-F. Unless you have driven the RC-F, you have not driven this new V8.

Fixed it for you. Turbos have been slapped on smaller-displacement engines in the hope that they will give the on-demand power of larger-displacement engines but the fuel efficiency of the smaller displacement engines when driven conservatively. They work for the EPA and European fuel economy cycles but, by-and-large, the fuel economy sticker numbers have not met real-life fuel consumption figures.
Stop spreading misinformation, its the same engine.with very minor updates, I wouldn't call a raised compression a new engine lol
Old 12-07-15, 11:34 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
Stop spreading misinformation, its the same engine.with very minor updates, I wouldn't call a raised compression a new engine lol

Stop accusing people of spreading misinformation if you do not know what you are talking about.

It is not just a greater compression ratio. The valvetrain is new. It allows the engine to run on the high-efficiency Atkinson cycle at low rpm and switches to normal Otto cycle at high rpm.

No other automaker has this on-demand switching between Atkinson and Otto cycles for efficiency and power.
Old 12-07-15, 12:28 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by Sulu
Stop accusing people of spreading misinformation if you do not know what you are talking about.

It is not just a greater compression ratio. The valvetrain is new. It allows the engine to run on the high-efficiency Atkinson cycle at low rpm and switches to normal Otto cycle at high rpm.

No other automaker has this on-demand switching between Atkinson and Otto cycles for efficiency and power.
Ford changed the valve train on the new coyote to bump a few hp, no one calls that almost a new engine. Its a minor hardware and software update... Even lexus uses the same engine code for it, why are you defending their actions?

Quick Reply: Lexus LC News