Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LC News

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-16, 07:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
3 Trim levels
Luxury - ???
Sport - 21” wheels, CF roof, active wing
Sport+ - Rear steering, mechanical differential
i'd want the rear steer, limited diff, but with 20's... probably not possible.
Old 12-11-16, 02:11 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
So far, I like the yellow exterior and the tan interior the most, but will Lexus allow you to get this combination ?
I'm a Lexus fanboy but even I have to say its disappointing that we even have to ask this question. Lexus has been limited in their customization offerings even at the highest tiers.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'd want the rear steer, limited diff, but with 20's... probably not possible.
It doesn't quite make sense does it? Luxury should be the one with 21" wheels...but I guess they want you to stack options. I would want the 21's and active rear wing but not the CF roof.

Last edited by G Star; 12-11-16 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-11-16, 07:29 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

As I read these early reviews and the days tick away before launch the disappointment is starting to kick in. The projected prices that keep being bounced around do not seem to line up with what the car has to offer. And the reviewers, almost all if not all of them, have pretty much written off the H model as a total waste.....

Will I want one (the V8) ? Sure... For $100K-110K?? No way....

This summer we saw a GS-F with a sticker of $88K and in no way did I see that level of a car. While the LC design and some of the unproven innovations are a new direction, that amount of investment seems questionable. In 2-3 years when leases are up and current year models are sitting in show rooms unpurchased maybe the resale prices will be in line.

Lexus again remains detached from the market but if only 50+ year olds making north of $250K is their target buyers it does not seem even that group will flock to this car..... I could be way off in this view but watching this play out will be interesting....
Old 12-12-16, 10:22 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck05
As I read these early reviews and the days tick away before launch the disappointment is starting to kick in. The projected prices that keep being bounced around do not seem to line up with what the car has to offer. And the reviewers, almost all if not all of them, have pretty much written off the H model as a total waste.....

Will I want one (the V8) ? Sure... For $100K-110K?? No way....

This summer we saw a GS-F with a sticker of $88K and in no way did I see that level of a car. While the LC design and some of the unproven innovations are a new direction, that amount of investment seems questionable. In 2-3 years when leases are up and current year models are sitting in show rooms unpurchased maybe the resale prices will be in line.

Lexus again remains detached from the market but if only 50+ year olds making north of $250K is their target buyers it does not seem even that group will flock to this car..... I could be way off in this view but watching this play out will be interesting....
I feel the same way. I just don't see a 100K car or even near that price with this vehicle. Lexus does not have the brand prestige to sell cars at such a markup, that is not a shot at Lexus, it is just reality, under cutting the Germans in price does factor in why people choose Lexus. This is a nice car and I hope they are successful with it but I am concerned that after maybe a nice first few months I don't see this car selling in any kind of good numbers if they price it so high and it will end up like the SC430. The hybrid sounds like a waste from reading the reviews, wish they focused on just doing a more affordable base 6 cylinder version.

GS-F had the problem of being priced too high, should have been priced around mid 60's to 70K, RC-F more around high 50's and they would be much more successful and get them out on the road, I have seen neither car on the road yet. They basically made the same mistake with the LFA, spent so much money on it but priced it so high and sold it in so few numbers that people are unlikely to ever see one on the street or dealership so what did it really do for the brand, what was the point, even at 500 they had trouble selling them all to actual buyers and some are on Ebay/used car sites now selling at a discount.
Old 12-12-16, 02:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

To be clear, no mistake was made with the LFA. They made 500 of them and that's all they ever intended to make.

As for the price on this $100k isn't what it used to be. In a world where a 550 can be $80k...
Old 12-12-16, 02:57 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

need to see an F Sport trim
Old 12-12-16, 03:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I feel the same way. I just don't see a 100K car or even near that price with this vehicle. Lexus does not have the brand prestige to sell cars at such a markup, that is not a shot at Lexus, it is just reality, .
I see the LC as a 100K with some options. Lexus has done a pretty good job with it. But I don't see it as a 100K base model.
Old 12-13-16, 02:31 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Of course MSRP is going to be tick below 100K, I just cant imagine LC being any less than 10K more expensive than fully loaded RC-F.
Unless they are willing to cannibalize RC-F in order to get some LC sales.

In it's top sport trim I bet V8 will be 110K if not more, but hybrid remains the unknown to me. Is it going to be positioned as the base model or is it going to be parallel to V8?
Old 12-13-16, 01:03 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

If the rumor of the LS coming with a twin turbo V6 is true, I can see that engine getting tuned to 460hp or so to replace the V8 in a year or two after introduction, at the same time the LCF is released. The V8 might become somewhat of a collector's item if I'm correct.
Old 12-13-16, 01:10 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

460 seems like a lot to pull out of a TT6 (for conservative Lexus/Toyota). I know there are some packages that do it, new Alfa is TT6 with 505 hp. But I would think for smooth luxury you would have a 3.5L TT V6 making about 420hp and then a TTV8 at around 500hp. But I could be wrong. Would be nice to see some new engines from Lexus, to at least be class competitive.
Old 12-13-16, 02:48 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Vladi
Of course MSRP is going to be tick below 100K, I just cant imagine LC being any less than 10K more expensive than fully loaded RC-F.
Unless they are willing to cannibalize RC-F in order to get some LC sales.

In it's top sport trim I bet V8 will be 110K if not more, but hybrid remains the unknown to me. Is it going to be positioned as the base model or is it going to be parallel to V8?
A summary of the media reports last week somewhat agree that the price will start at least $80k and go up to $120k. The BMW 650i starts at $89k and I assume Lexus will attempt to undercut them slightly or equal pricing with more standard features to be highly competitive.

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
460 seems like a lot to pull out of a TT6 (for conservative Lexus/Toyota). I know there are some packages that do it, new Alfa is TT6 with 505 hp. But I would think for smooth luxury you would have a 3.5L TT V6 making about 420hp and then a TTV8 at around 500hp. But I could be wrong. Would be nice to see some new engines from Lexus, to at least be class competitive.
I remember Lexus was working on that TMG LS 650 with a V8TT on the Nurburgring and there was some chatter about that coming to reality in the future.

Designed as a showcase for TMG’s high-performance capabilities, the TS-650 is a 641 HP bi-turbo super sports car based on the Lexus LS 460, with a 5.0L V8 engine and an eight-speed high-torque-capacity transmission capable of 198.8mph.
https://lexusenthusiast.com/2012/11/...-650-revealed/

Last edited by G Star; 12-13-16 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-13-16, 02:58 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Yep, should have made an LS-F and that ^ should have been it. At that point it would have killed all the thoughts that Lexus did not intend to play with the big boy Germans. However by NOT building it they pretty much confirmed they had no intention to play with the Germans. Would also have been the perfect engine, in a detuned 550hp form for the GSF.

Its not that Lexus is not capable, they just don't have the nuts to pull the trigger.
Old 12-13-16, 03:28 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
Yep, should have made an LS-F and that ^ should have been it. At that point it would have killed all the thoughts that Lexus did not intend to play with the big boy Germans. However by NOT building it they pretty much confirmed they had no intention to play with the Germans. Would also have been the perfect engine, in a detuned 550hp form for the GSF.

Its not that Lexus is not capable, they just don't have the nuts to pull the trigger.
Timing and priority are also important factors. What we do currently know is that Lexus is into naturally aspirated for a spirited clean driving experience. Thus far every F car has been naturally aspirated.
Old 12-13-16, 03:40 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Not certain if there is room for it, but bore, or stroke, or both the current F v8 out to about 5.5 liters and a bit of a tune up and you would be at 540hp+ NA. Plus I do not think anyone with a blown v8 has ever complained about spirited clean driving, it is just that most cars they throw one in are using it to compensate for excessive curb weight. Keep it light, v8, a turbo and everything becomes fun.
Old 12-13-16, 09:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

look at the e43 and we can get an idea what lexus can do. i don't think lexus would go more aggressive than mb on the engine

Quick Reply: Lexus LC News