Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why Life-Size Tonka Toyota Trucks Should Influence a Lexus Pickup

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-15, 05:17 PM
Manuel3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Life-Size Tonka Toyota Trucks Should Influence a Lexus Pickup

I got the chance to play with life-size Tonka Toyota trucks, and now I know what an eventual Lexus pickup needs in order to be a hit.

Read the rest on the Club Lexus homepage. >>
Old 12-03-15, 09:59 AM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool truck, but i really hope a lexus truck never exists. If people want a nice Japanese truck, they will buy a tundra. i just don't see the point of making a lexus branded truck.
Old 12-05-15, 10:35 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

If done correctly I think Lexus could pull it off. I'd buy a Lexus truck based off the Tundra...
Old 12-05-15, 10:49 AM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by empringham
Cool truck, but i really hope a lexus truck never exists. If people want a nice Japanese truck, they will buy a tundra. i just don't see the point of making a lexus branded truck.
I totally agree with you. I think a pickup in their lineup would tarnish the perception of Lexus being a luxury brand. Plus, Lincoln already tried that and we all know how that worked out for them.
Old 12-05-15, 12:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by empringham
I think a Lexus truck would be amazing. With a huge massive spindle grille and embossed Lexus logo would be awesome. I think a name like the "Lexus" "Texas" with a 5.7 LexForce engine would do wonders.
Old 12-05-15, 03:25 PM
Trexus

Lincoln (tier 2 luxury) tried and failed...to begin with Lincoln is already a failure...so yes a Lincoln luxury truck was doomed to fail. If Lexus (tier 1 luxury) does it right I think it will do well...
Old 12-05-15, 05:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
Lincoln (tier 2 luxury) tried and failed...to begin with Lincoln is already a failure...so yes a Lincoln luxury truck was doomed to fail. If Lexus (tier 1 luxury) does it right I think it will do well...
Consider this, though.......Lincoln based their two full-size trucks designs on existing Ford F-150s (and the F-150 is the top-selling vehicle in the U.S.). If Lincoln failed, twice, while using one of the best-selling truck platforms of all time (though the failure of the Lincoln Blackwood pickup was also due to other factors), what reason do you have for the confidence that Lexus could somehow find a magic formula for a redone Toyota pickup platform? I'm not saying it can't be done, but you seem quite confident. Do you think Lexus can find some other method besides using a Tundra, Hilux, or Tacoma platform?
Old 12-05-15, 05:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
. Do you think Lexus can find some other method besides using a Tundra, Hilux, or Tacoma platform?
The Tundra platform is the only way to go for Lexus if they do a truck. A Hilux Lexus would be laughed at and so too would a Lexus version of the 70 Series. Plus, the current Tundra is using the LS460 seat material in the top trim model, so they are already on their way.
Old 12-05-15, 09:43 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Cadillac Escalade truck was good, sucks they discountinued it.
Old 12-06-15, 12:15 AM
Trexus

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Consider this, though.......Lincoln based their two full-size trucks designs on existing Ford F-150s (and the F-150 is the top-selling vehicle in the U.S.). If Lincoln failed, twice, while using one of the best-selling truck platforms of all time (though the failure of the Lincoln Blackwood pickup was also due to other factors), what reason do you have for the confidence that Lexus could somehow find a magic formula for a redone Toyota pickup platform? I'm not saying it can't be done, but you seem quite confident. Do you think Lexus can find some other method besides using a Tundra, Hilux, or Tacoma platform?
I'm extremely confident Lexus could pull off a Lexus luxury truck. One, starting off with a Toyota is all I have to say. Two, bring it over to the Lexus side and we've got a winner.

I do recognize that the F-150 is the top-selling truck in the U.S. and maybe worldwide however Lincoln is not recognized as a tier 1 luxury brand that competes head on with Audi, BMW, Lexus and Mercedes. Lincoln mainly competes with Acura, Cadillac, Infiniti and maybe even Chrysler. The Lincoln Blackwood competed with the Cadillac Escalade EXT and believe the Cadillac was more successful than Lincoln. In the tier 2 luxury category Cadillac is more popular/successful than Lincoln is. So in the end the Lincoln Blackwood was doomed to fail from inception. It's great that Lincoln tried and I give them an A for effort...
Old 12-06-15, 09:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I'm extremely confident Lexus could pull off a Lexus luxury truck. One, starting off with a Toyota is all I have to say. Two, bring it over to the Lexus side and we've got a winner.

I do recognize that the F-150 is the top-selling truck in the U.S. and maybe worldwide however Lincoln is not recognized as a tier 1 luxury brand that competes head on with Audi, BMW, Lexus and Mercedes. Lincoln mainly competes with Acura, Cadillac, Infiniti and maybe even Chrysler. The Lincoln Blackwood competed with the Cadillac Escalade EXT and believe the Cadillac was more successful than Lincoln. In the tier 2 luxury category Cadillac is more popular/successful than Lincoln is. So in the end the Lincoln Blackwood was doomed to fail from inception. It's great that Lincoln tried and I give them an A for effort...
I am starting to believe the whole Tier 1 and Tier 2 thing is silly. I used to support it but now it is becoming more and more evident that it is a useless terminology. I a have always believed that Lexus is both a Tier 1 and Tier 2 competitor. Most of the higher end Lexus models are sitting on older platforms and are running around with very old engines. With that being said, a Lexus trucks (I like the name Lexus Texas) would compete with the high end Ford/Dodge/GMC and Toyota Platinum type of buyer.
Old 12-06-15, 05:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The Blackwood failed, IMO, not because of Lincoln's Tier-2 status, but simply because of the absurdity of doing a pickup truck bed, of all things, in rare polished African wood. Who in their right mind would actually USE that bed for anything? And if you cover it up with a thick padded cover to protect the wood, what's the sense in buying a pickup like that to start with....especially with the OUTER bed trim also of the same wood?

I do agree with you on one thing, though......I have confidence that IF Lexus actually did try a pickup, they would be smarter than to try something like that.
Old 12-07-15, 01:58 PM
Trexus

Lexus would definitely have to make the luxury truck functional and have the cabin appointed with luxury and technology above and beyond what Toyota, Ford, GM, Nissan and Ram currently have. I believe Lexus could pull it off if done correctly...
Old 12-07-15, 04:44 PM
adpock
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Product Chief says Prestige ute is a "study item"

According to Lexus product planning leader Makoto Tanaka, a prestige pickup is one of the "study items" that the marque has been looking at...
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/l...estige-pickup/
Old 12-07-15, 09:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

If they build a Lexus pickup before a 3 row crossover I'm done with the brand.

Quick Reply: Why Life-Size Tonka Toyota Trucks Should Influence a Lexus Pickup