Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Volvo S90

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-15, 06:54 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2017 Volvo S90

Volvo Cars Debuts the S90 Luxury Sedan
Gothenburg, Sweden (Dec. 2, 2015) Volvo Cars debuted the highly-anticipated Volvo S90 luxury sedan in Gothenburg, Sweden today on the heels of the company's award-winning Volvo XC90 SUV. The all-new Volvo S90 sedan is a bold entry into the luxury sedan market and sets a new standard with superior materials, technology, comfort and class-leading semi-autonomous features.

"With $11 USD billion of investment over the past five years we have not only reimagined what Volvo Cars can be – we are now delivering on our promise of a resurgent and relevant Volvo Cars brand," said Håkan Samuelsson, President & CEO, Volvo Car Group.

The Volvo S90 will combine Scandinavian design with cutting-edge safety and cloud-based applications and services. The interior makes use of the Sensus Connect touchscreen that debuted in the XC90, providing a clutter-free interior with minimal dashboard buttons.

"Our idea was to bring something entirely new to this rather conservative segment and deliver a visual expression that exudes leadership and confidence on the exterior. On the inside we have taken the S90 to the next level, delivering a high-end luxury experience that promises comfort and control," said Thomas Ingenlath, Senior Vice President Design at Volvo Car Group.

The Volvo S90 introduces another step toward Volvo's Vision 2020, which states that no one should be killed or seriously injured in a new Volvo by the year 2020, through world first safety technologies and highly advanced semi-autonomous features.

Three engine choices will be available: the award-winning four-cylinder, 2.0 liter turbocharged and supercharged T6 engine, the turbocharged T5 variant and the clean and powerful T8 Twin Engine plug-in hybrid.

"The S90 has taken a big step forward in terms of driving dynamics, performance and ride. We have completely redesigned the Volvo driving experience from the ground up to deliver a sense of precision, engaging control and comfort," said Dr. Peter Mertens, Senior Vice President, Research & Development at Volvo Car Group.

The S90 will follow a legacy of strong sedan sales for Volvo Cars in the United States. Over the last several years, Volvo sedans have enjoyed significant demand at launch, with the last luxury sedan outselling robust competitors in its segment. Volvo Cars has seen an 18% growth in US car sales so far in 2015. The all-new 2016 XC90 has received strong demand from American drivers along with the XC60, which has enjoyed 31% growth in US sales.

"The S90 is a terrific addition to the Volvo Cars lineup in the United States," said Lex Kerssemakers, President and CEO of Volvo Cars of North America, "it will continue the terrific sales momentum Volvo Cars has gained within the last year."

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/12/02/2...veal-official/

Love it.
Old 12-02-15, 08:20 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

that back - 3/4 view looks horrible, like a Skoda.

Old 12-02-15, 08:27 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Love this car. I hope the 4-cyl is more muted than in the XC90. Unfortunately had to cross that vehicle off my list due to that engine noise.
Old 12-02-15, 08:34 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

This is a great looking car. I look forward to seeing it in person.
Old 12-02-15, 08:40 AM
SAS32
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got to love those Volvo seats.

I own an old C70 and the seats are amazingly comfortable and still look like new. I often sit in the car to listen to a new CD as not only is it very comfortable but it has the standard factory fit Dynaudio speaker & Dolby surround sound system, which still sounds fantastic despite being 90s technology. It's also got a turbo, remap, single Maganaflow silencer and 5 cylinders.
Old 12-02-15, 09:00 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks really good to me

Old 12-02-15, 09:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Love this car. I hope the 4-cyl is more muted than in the XC90. Unfortunately had to cross that vehicle off my list due to that engine noise.
the new one with the super-charged and turbo'd 4? motorweek review i saw said it's very quiet.
Old 12-02-15, 09:44 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the new one with the super-charged and turbo'd 4? motorweek review i saw said it's very quiet.
Yes. Go look at reviews from any magazine that has a performance slant and may have actually taken the car over 3500rpms. It's absolutely audible and it doesn't sound all that great. The reviews from recent tests of the T8 hybrid model (dated Oct-Nov) said it was especially jarring in those models when you floored it since it's very quiet most of the time.

My highway driving involves heavy throttle when passing () and I would be annoyed by that.
Old 12-02-15, 11:01 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Major improvement over the current S80

This new S90 looks like it straddles midsize/large segments like the RLX. Wonder if they will do a S60/S90 tandem or introduce something larger (or smaller ala S40)

Last edited by Hoovey689; 12-02-15 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-02-15, 11:12 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Volvo has really stepped up their game. The cars interior is quite exquisite and the exterior is really nicely done. I really like the concave grill.

I do have to say Volvo is slowly becoming one of my favourite automotive companies.
Old 12-02-15, 11:26 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

This new S90 has a long dash-to-front-axle ratio. Is this a transverse-engine FWD-based or longitudinal-engine FWD or RWD-based car? It looks like Volvo is trying to make it look like a RWD vehicle.

And it seems that the current fashion in rear taillight shapes is the lobster claw. Starting with the 2012 Camry, Toyota and Honda are using that shape and now Volvo is using it also.
Old 12-02-15, 12:43 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sulu
This new S90 has a long dash-to-front-axle ratio. Is this a transverse-engine FWD-based or longitudinal-engine FWD or RWD-based car? It looks like Volvo is trying to make it look like a RWD vehicle.

And it seems that the current fashion in rear taillight shapes is the lobster claw. Starting with the 2012 Camry, Toyota and Honda are using that shape and now Volvo is using it also.
Transverse FWD-based. What you're seeing is the beauty of creating a platform that can only accept a 2.0L I4. Volvo was indeed trying (and succeeding) to create a prestige gap (dash to axle distance) in the design.
Old 12-02-15, 01:51 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

looks cool and all but i'm getting tired of these thin little slits for headlights EVERY new car seems to be getting. also the front is too upright for me but it definitely looks like it means business
Old 12-02-15, 03:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
looks cool and all but i'm getting tired of these thin little slits for headlights EVERY new car seems to be getting. also the front is too upright for me but it definitely looks like it means business

I generally don't care for the slit-headlight look either, but that is being done for aerodynamic reasons as smaller headlight bulbs get more and more efficient.
Old 12-02-15, 03:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Volvo badly needed a real flagship.....the S80 just wasn't cutting it against the Germans. This appears to be a major improvement over the aging S80.

Nice job on the interior trim. Volvo has always done the light-Birchwood matte-look well, and this one seems to be no exception.

Another Humpback-Whale roofline sedan, though. I understand the aerodynamic benefits, but I'm still not a fan of them...they restrict rear headroom and entry/exit for tall people.

Quick Reply: 2017 Volvo S90