Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why no Suburban/Escalade ESV or Expedition EL/Navigator L competitor from Toy/Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-15, 07:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Please share your findings on how the Escalade is superior to the LX.

Facts only please. Nobody cares about your opinion Jill. K? Thanks.
Where do I begin? More HP, more tq, much better fuel economy, better third row, much more modern rear hatch (LX rear seats and hatched are half baked). Better controls, NO remotr touch,....better towing? You can check that fact for me please.
Old 11-26-15, 08:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Please share your findings on how the Escalade is superior to the LX.
The Escalade has a slight towing advantage, but not by much....8300 lbs. vs. 8100 (that's closer than I would have expected, given the Escalade's massive ladder-frame). Also interesting is that the standard-length and the extended-wheelbase Escalades have what is apparently the same towing capacity. The Sequoia, which is probably closer to the Escalade's size than the Land Cruiser, is only rated at 7400 lbs...perhaps because of the limitations of the C-Channel frame.

And, though not something that can be physically measured in specs, it's hard to argue that the Escalade doesn't have a big advantage in sheer bling and chrome-covered glitz, with arguably the most ornate interior in the class, although styling is generally subjective.
Old 11-26-15, 08:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Escalade has a slight towing advantage, but not by much....8300 lbs. vs. 8100 (that's closer than I would have expected, given the Escalade's massive ladder-frame). Also interesting is that the standard-length and the extended-wheelbase Escalades have what is apparently the same towing capacity. The Sequoia, which is probably closer to the Escalade's size than the Land Cruiser, is only rated at 7400 lbs...perhaps because of the limitations of the C-Channel frame.

And, though not something that can be physically measured in specs, it's hard to argue that the Escalade doesn't have a big advantage in sheer bling and chrome-covered glitz, with arguably the most ornate interior in the class, although styling is generally subjective.
Your tow numbers are off. LX and Sequoia are around 7100lbs. Land Cruiser is most capable Toyota at 8200lbs. I'm not sure what the Escalade is.
Old 11-26-15, 08:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I'm not sure what the Escalade is.
I just spelled it out for you in my last post............8300 lbs.

That's from Cadillac's official site:

http://www.cadillac.com/crossovers-s...alade-suv.html

Your tow numbers are off. LX and Sequoia are around 7100lbs. Land Cruiser is most capable Toyota at 8200lbs.
My numbers for the Land Cruiser and Sequoia were also taken directly from Toyota's web-site. If they are wrong, it's not on me.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-26-15 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-26-15, 11:37 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

in 3 yrs half if the stuff won't work, will have panel gaps, prob shocks going bad.
just compare it maybe 2007 LX find a 07 escalade in half decent condition.
I like the way escaldes look but all that glitters is not gold.

Where do I begin? More HP, more tq, much better fuel economy, better third row, much more modern rear hatch (LX rear seats and hatched are half baked). Better controls, NO remotr touch,....better towing? You can check that fact for me please.
Old 11-27-15, 12:30 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drove the new Escalade and I'm not impressed, interior is plain and The new LX beats it by miles.

If I ever purchase one of these mammoth, I wouldn't choose the extended version though, it won't even fit in a garage...

Btw in this segment I still would choose the Range Rover, sucks it doesn't have their row seats.
Old 11-27-15, 01:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

My numbers for the Land Cruiser and Sequoia were also taken directly from Toyota's web-site. If they are wrong, it's not on me.
I'm looking at Lexus.com the LX570 tow rating is 7000lbs. Sequoia Platinum 4WD is 7100lbs at Toyota.com. Land Cruise is at 8100lbs
Old 11-27-15, 01:47 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400

Btw in this segment I still would choose the Range Rover, sucks it doesn't have their row seats.
Despite the dated platform, poorly designed third row, and ancient hatch, I would still go with a LX570 or LC. I have always liked Toyota SUVs But, the Escalade is still the superior vehicle.
Old 11-27-15, 06:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Sequoia Platinum 4WD is 7100lbs at Toyota.com.
From Toyota.com's US. market website..........

Tow up to 7,400 lbs.

Whether your adventure calls for boats, trailers or even other vehicles, you'll appreciate how Sequoia's 7,400-lb. towing capacity makes it easy to bring them along for the ride.

Not all Sequoias have the same tow rating, AWD obviously adds vehicle weight and drag, reducing the added amount that the frame, suspension, engine, and drivetrain can safely carry or tow.

Land Cruiser is at 8100lbs
That's what I originally posted.
Old 11-27-15, 10:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

They are the same competing SUVs in the same segment. End of argument.
The Escalade and LX are direct competition.
please stop trying to shut down discussion. you're entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts.

the escalade in my opinion is aimed at an entirely different buyer than an lx570. the lx570 is a luxury version of the land cruiser, designed to be very off-road capable, hold a lot of stuff, and has a third row that can be used if really necessary, but is hardly what anyone would call comfortable. the third row can't be removed and intrudes on interior space. the lx570 is obviously hugely popular in the middle east due to its ruggedness, utility, and reliability in the dusty/sandy/hot conditions with often terrible roads.

the escalade is for someone who wants to be able to carry or tow a ton of stuff in comfort and it's not about rough conditions at all. i've met many lx and escalade owners and they are definitely not cross shopping, lol.

both vehicles have pros and cons. the lx starts at about $10K more than an escalade and is on a now ANCIENT (but super tough and reliable) platform. the most recent escalades are really nice but i wouldn't want to own one for 200K mi.
Old 11-27-15, 05:06 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I've always wondered why Lexus had the GX and LX when one model would have sufficed. It's like Toyota decided they needed upscale Prado and full-sized LC variants with Lexus badges. By that logic, a Lexus Sequioa should also be part of the lineup. The GX and LX are fine vehicles but I'm in a market where cheaper Toyota variants are also available with similar specs.
Old 11-27-15, 05:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chromedome
I've always wondered why Lexus had the GX and LX when one model would have sufficed. It's like Toyota decided they needed upscale Prado and full-sized LC variants with Lexus badges. By that logic, a Lexus Sequioa should also be part of the lineup. The GX and LX are fine vehicles but I'm in a market where cheaper Toyota variants are also available with similar specs.
Both the GX and LX, like the Toyota Land Cruiser, sell more widely overseas (especially in the oil-rich desert kingdoms of the Middle East where there is a lot of money to spend on new vehicles) than they do in the U.S. Their rugged construction and body-on-frame design, combined with luxury trappings inside, makes for ideal comfort-oriented travel on poorly-maintained roads (or no roads at all). The question of whether both of them are needed, or if both should stay in production, and, if so, in which countries, is an issue that Lexus planners still seem to be wrestling with.
Old 11-27-15, 06:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chromedome
The GX exists because it is at a lower price point which is more appealing to a wider range of buyers and budgets. GX is also a smaller vehicle than a LX so it is a lot easier to live with for most.

You have to also keep in mind that Toyota is one of the best at platform sharing. The GX/4Runner/FJ/Prado/Hilux Surf are all pretty much the same vehicles here or there, kinda like a Cruze/Verano/Opel so there is a lot of money to be made with essentially the same platform which is a 120 or 150 series. A lot of folks to do not realize that a 4Runner and FJ are 120 or 150 series vehicles which is what a Prado or a Hilux Surf is.
Old 11-27-15, 06:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

is an issue that Lexus planners still seem to be wrestling with.
^ This is not true at all.
Old 11-27-15, 06:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

^ This is not true at all.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/02/l...ain-exclusive/

With the debut of an all-new RX, Lexus is in a position for continued strong sales in the luxury SUV arena. The fourth-generation RX has grown, making room for the new NX model beneath it. But further up the ladder, things could change for the GX and LX.

In an interview with Autoblog at the 2015 New York Auto Show, Lexus executive vice president Mark Templin gave some hints at the future of his brand's SUV lineup. "With NX and RX, we have a really good one-two punch in the crossover segments, and we think we can cover most of the markets with that," he said.

As for the larger, three-row GX and LX models, which are built on a traditional ladder-frame chassis, things aren't so clear. Templin noted the the success of both models all over the world – the LX is the best-selling Lexus in Saudi Arabia. The same is true for sales here, he said: "We do very well with those products in the United States – GX has been a great product for us in the US for the last couple of years since its initial introduction. But the future of those vehicles longer term is in doubt because of regulations that are being driven by governments all over the world."

Don't start stockpiling LX 570s in anticipation of shortages just yet. Templin didn't give any specifics; he just notes that tightening fuel economy and emissions regulations could affect product planning. In our analysis, if and when GX rides off into the sunset, Lexus still needs a midsize, three-row SUV to fill that gap. The most likely candidate for that is some variation on the RX.

Whether or not that's the case, don't expect a BMW-like proliferation of body styles from Toyota's luxury division. "It creates problems. It creates complexity, that's hard for every step of the process," Templin said, nothing that too many models stresses the design department, manufacturing, and even dealers inventory selection.

As for the bottom end of the lineup, Templin wouldn't comment on a compact SUV below the NX, saying "I think there are more potential options for us in the future, but we're not trying to grow the number of models we have in our lineup. It's not really what our core business is about." For now, Lexus and Templin are focused on launching the RX, which accounts for three of every 10 Lexus models ever sold. The 2016 model, available in RX 350 and RX 450h hybrid versions, goes on sale by the end of the year.

Quick Reply: Why no Suburban/Escalade ESV or Expedition EL/Navigator L competitor from Toy/Lexus