Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why no Suburban/Escalade ESV or Expedition EL/Navigator L competitor from Toy/Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-15, 06:49 PM
deltheking
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why no Suburban/Escalade ESV or Expedition EL/Navigator L competitor from Toy/Lexus

Hi,
I have always wondered why Toyota or Lexus don't offer a product to compete with Suburban/Escalade Esv or the Ford expedition EL/Navigator L vehicles. The Tahoe as a vehicle is pretty much useless for me. I would go for a 3 row crossover instead. But the Suburban on the other hand is a completely different beast. The cargo space behind the 3rd row is huge. If you need a 7 seater with cargo space then the Chevy or Ford offer the only options.

The navigator L / expedition EL also use the independent rear suspension - so you get a better 3rd row and comfy ride than the GM twins. I can never fathom why folks buy the shorter versions of these Suv's when you can get the more practical, usable & spacious longer versions ?

And these are cash cows for gm/ford. Toyota already has the Sequoia & Lexus has the GX. So, why not make a stretched version of these - would not take too much investment - but the profits could be huge. I think they are missing out on a trick here. There is still a huge market for the Suburban/Expedition EL . And I can assure you- especially in Texas & Oklahoma - that these are not huge vehicles compared to the full sized trucks that folks drive here !!

Is Toyota / Lexus listening ? What do you folks say ? Thanks !
Old 11-23-15, 07:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

If memory serves might correct, the Sequoia is in between the Tahoe and Suburban in size.

There is not much of a market for that size Toyota even though they sell two large body on frame SUVs.
Old 11-23-15, 07:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

There is not much of a market for that size Toyota even though they sell two large body on frame SUVs.
True. The Sequoia is basically limping along on life-support. Its planned discontinuance has been postponed twice, but could still come at any time.
Old 11-23-15, 08:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Yeah I don't think theres that huge a market here for Lexus. They don't really compete with the Escalade at all, the LX is a different sort of vehicle and it being based off the LC is what makes it work. I'm not sure how stretching that would work.

What they DO need is a 3 row crossover.
Old 11-23-15, 09:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Yeah I don't think theres that huge a market here for Lexus. They don't really compete with the Escalade at all, the LX is a different sort of vehicle and it being based off the LC is what makes it work. .
The Escalade and the LX570 are absolutely in the same class of vehicle. The LX570 is just a 7/8ths full size SUV. The Escalade is also a FAR superior vehicle than the LX
Old 11-23-15, 09:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Escalade and the LX570 are absolutely in the same class of vehicle. The LX570 is just a 7/8ths full size SUV. The Escalade is also a FAR superior vehicle than the LX
The LX kills the Escalade in reliability, though. That is why it (and the GX) sell so well in the Third World.

As I see it, the Escalade is the undisputed King of Bling (and, to an extent, towing)......but of little else.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-23-15 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-23-15, 09:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They're in the same demographic class, but the Escalade and LX are very different in terms of their execution. The LX is a more off-road focused vehicle, and the Escalade is a classic truck based SUB, excellent for towing, etc.

As to the Escalade being far better, I dunno I might choose the refreshed LX over the Escalade.
Old 11-23-15, 09:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

They're in the same demographic class, but the Escalade and LX are very different in terms of their execution. The LX is a more off-road focused vehicle, and the Escalade is a classic truck based SUB, excellent for towing, etc.

As to the Escalade being far better, I dunno I might choose the refreshed LX over the Escalade.
They are the same competing SUVs in the same segment. End of argument.
Old 11-23-15, 09:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

LOL, whatever you say.

How's that Corolla runnin?
Old 11-23-15, 09:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

They are the same competing SUVs in the same segment.
Don't forget, though, the Escalade, unlike the LX, comes in two different sizes....one based on the standard-length Tahoe/Yukon, and a larger one based on the extended-length Suburban/Yukon XL. And the Escalade also once came in a third version until it was discontinued....an upmarket version of the Chevy Avalanche pickup, with a trick-access bed. In contrast, the LX basically comes in only one style.......a redone Toyota Land Cruiser with a little more trim and standard equipment.

Now, that's not to say that the Land Cruiser/LX is an inferior vehicle to the Escalade...it most definitely is NOT. But, in comparing the two, we still have to separate apples from oranges.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-23-15 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-23-15, 09:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Remember Mike, Jill knows everything. End of argument.
Old 11-23-15, 10:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

LOL, whatever you say.

How's that Corolla runnin?
The Corolla is running just fine thanks for asking. 18k, 18 months old, 36MPG avg, $102 in maintenance costs thus far and one $150 replacement tire. I couldn't be any happier.
Old 11-23-15, 10:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Don't forget, though, the Escalade, unlike the LX, comes in two different sizes....one based on the standard-length Tahoe/Yukon, and a larger one based on the extended-length Suburban/Yukon XL. And the Escalade also once came in a third version until it was discontinued....an upmarket version of the Chevy Avalanche pickup, with a trick-access bed. In contrast, the LX basically comes in only one style.......a redone Toyota Land Cruiser with a little more trim and standard equipment.

Now, that's not to say that the Land Cruiser/LX is an inferior vehicle to the Escalade...it most definitely is NOT. But, in comparing the two, we still have to separate apples from oranges.
Separate what oranges from what apples? The Escalade and LX are direct competition.

I do understand that the LX does not have an extended wheelbase, but does LS not compete with the S-class or 7 series becuase it has an absent V12 or diesel engine ?
Old 11-26-15, 11:13 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I wished sometimes i have little more space to play with in the LX, the two seats in the back in the cargo area takes away some usable space. LX - sequoia size would be have been awesome or at least have the rear tow seats in the floor like the GX.

Having said that the LX, anything comes close is the G glass for Merc, all these other Big suvs are toys, if you are talking about off road capabilities at all.

I took mine to sand dunes near the beach to wet dirt roads some steep dirt roads, all on stock tires- nothing short of amazing and it never ever let me down- not even once. Everything just worked all the time.

Going back to OP i wish LX was little bigger to have some usable cargo space after the third seats being used.

QUOTE=mmarshall;9264130]Don't forget, though, the Escalade, unlike the LX, comes in two different sizes....one based on the standard-length Tahoe/Yukon, and a larger one based on the extended-length Suburban/Yukon XL. And the Escalade also once came in a third version until it was discontinued....an upmarket version of the Chevy Avalanche pickup, with a trick-access bed. In contrast, the LX basically comes in only one style.......a redone Toyota Land Cruiser with a little more trim and standard equipment.

Now, that's not to say that the Land Cruiser/LX is an inferior vehicle to the Escalade...it most definitely is NOT. But, in comparing the two, we still have to separate apples from oranges.[/QUOTE]
Old 11-26-15, 07:27 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Please share your findings on how the Escalade is superior to the LX.

Facts only please. Nobody cares about your opinion Jill. K? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Why no Suburban/Escalade ESV or Expedition EL/Navigator L competitor from Toy/Lexus