Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Audi Q7 Perfect Vehicle scarred by VW scandal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-15, 11:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Most of the functions can be controlled through the Virtual Cockpit, and at least in the Q7 the screen motors down into the dash when not in use.

i think thats great... but I would rather have huge screen on dash and smaller one in instrument cluster than vice versa... or both, since you are paying extra for both in Q7.
Old 11-24-15, 11:14 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I can't stand the station wagon look of this car.

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Either way Audi is on a ROLL. Went in to an Audi dealership to talk to a sales rep and (I swear he was built like a bull with anvils around his neck, shoulders and arms lol)and he stated that Audi has surpassed BMW worldwide sales. I didn't know this. Anyway, trying to search for a used S7 the pickings are SLIM. S6 with low miles even slimer. That's always a good sign I think.
Keep in mind the vast majority of Audi sales worldwide are models like the A1. They were smart and cashed in on the subcompact models early, whereas BMW is playing catch up.
Old 11-24-15, 11:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
..."cloth is offered "here?"... If I understood that correctly. It's either base leather or premium leather in the U.S.
Price is the Q7's biggest demerit.
yes, in Europe... of course the price is the problem... add leather and few more things and it is $100k here in Eastern Europe where we have CO2 taxes. But the same goes in the US with pricing close to $70k loaded yet with "standard leather".

I still cant go over the fact that it looks like station wagon... I am pretty sure thats because it started design process 4-5 years ago when gas was very expensive and SUV sales went down... it was wrong decision as we see it today, but i guess 4-5 years ago it makes sense.
Old 11-24-15, 11:26 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed

Keep in mind the vast majority of Audi sales worldwide are models like the A1. They were smart and cashed in on the subcompact models early, whereas BMW is playing catch up.
Ah, thanks for the info. Good to know. But looking casually at this brand it seems they've "hustled" their butts off the last 8 or so year to come back to a respectable position. I think I found the one carbon fiber I've ever seen that I like and that's their copper infused ones in some S6 & S7 series. Also the use of aluminum as they've had for some time is a nice touch. They seem to be hitting the right mark with their sedans.
Old 11-24-15, 11:28 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
yes, in Europe... of course the price is the problem... add leather and few more things and it is $100k here in Eastern Europe where we have CO2 taxes. But the same goes in the US with pricing close to $70k loaded yet with "standard leather".

I still cant go over the fact that it looks like station wagon... I am pretty sure thats because it started design process 4-5 years ago when gas was very expensive and SUV sales went down... it was wrong decision as we see it today, but i guess 4-5 years ago it makes sense.

I like their hybrid hatch back model. Forgot the model. Yeah, station wagons never had appeal for me either.
Old 11-24-15, 11:31 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The new styling on the Q7 could be as polarizing as the new RX.
Old 11-24-15, 11:46 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i think thats great... but I would rather have huge screen on dash and smaller one in instrument cluster than vice versa... or both, since you are paying extra for both in Q7.
Have you driven a vehicle with the virtual cockpit cluster? Large one right in front of you is pretty awesome, also has an additional heads up display. It makes the center one fairly obsolete except for the passenger to change and enter things.

Yes a 12.3" screen in the center would be great as well, who wouldn't want giant screens in both places? But in terms of one vs the other, the Large Virtual Cockpit and smaller center stack screen are fine.
Old 11-24-15, 05:31 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

VC is extra $$$, but tbh I prefer having a dual screen setup thats proportional in size. A large center for the passenger and the 12.3 in the stack
Old 11-24-15, 08:14 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

True, Audi's sales spike has been partially driven by the new, more entry-level S3, but like other car manufacturers they have seen significant gains in SUV sales. They have the Q3, Q5 and Q7, so they have all the categories covered. Those are not cheap vehicles. They are not generating sales increases only at the lower end of the market...

http://www.marketwired.com/press-rel...15-2025705.htm
Old 11-25-15, 02:41 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
True, Audi's sales spike has been partially driven by the new, more entry-level S3, but like other car manufacturers they have seen significant gains in SUV sales. They have the Q3, Q5 and Q7, so they have all the categories covered. Those are not cheap vehicles. They are not generating sales increases only at the lower end of the market...

http://www.marketwired.com/press-rel...15-2025705.htm
The key word in my post is worldwide. Yes there are sales increases with the SUV line, but this wasn't the key to worldwide dominance in sales. This year MB and BMW have surpassed Audi in global sales now that they too have subcompacts to sell. This is likely to continue due to the diesel scandal. Also note Audi was early to the scene in China, where automakers like Mercedes struggled until very recently.
Old 11-25-15, 03:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

This is likely to continue due to the diesel scandal.
It's true that the scandal isn't helping Audi any, but, at least to an extent, Audi's steadily rising reputation for quality and eligibility is helping. Consumer Reports now ranks it, overall, the #3 brand in the American-market for reliability...trailing only Lexus and Toyota. That's the likely reason why so many are trading in BMWs for Audis....plus BMW moving away from their once-superb chassis/steering platforms.