Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

keys, i hate keys, what do you do with your keys?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-15, 11:03 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts
Default keys, i hate keys, what do you do with your keys?

I hate keys, aside from the jamming, poking, and tearing in my pocket, I hate having to lug around keys.

I've pretty much removed all keys from my life, my house is keyless (I have Z-wave electronic locks on the house), my car is keyless.

I am down to 2 keys, my both are for my mothers house which I need to carry with me daily, as much as I would love to convert her house to keyless z-wave like mine, she is 80 and technically inept, and even getting her a house alarm was a trying experience for her.

so what do you guys do with your keys?

I don't want them attached to my keyfob, I use a minimalist credit card wallet and money clip so they can't go into that.

I was searching for a phone case that might have key compartment, no luck there.

what kind of key wallet, jacket to you use?

my father used these from the 1950s until he passed in 2001:

but I only have 2 keys.

I tried this in my card wallet, but it's too fat:

so any suggestions?
Old 11-20-15, 11:28 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm a minimalist too. I absolutely use no keys. Work is a key pad entry. At home I park in my garage and enter the house from the garage. I can only tolerate One Key, my Lexus key..
Old 11-20-15, 11:48 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Homelink & keyless remote! are the only technology I imbrace
Old 11-20-15, 01:25 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
I'm a minimalist too. I absolutely use no keys. Work is a key pad entry. At home I park in my garage and enter the house from the garage. I can only tolerate One Key, my Lexus key..
Originally Posted by Byprodrive

yup completely agree.

but again, I have two keys that at this point I have to carry.

I found this on ebay, might give it a shot:

in theory I can leave the keys in my car as I only use them when I am at my mothers house, not really hot on the idea of leaving bare keys in the car though..

something like this might work, as it gives the appearance of a pocket knife, which I can easily clip to the door pocket, then I won't have a need to carry them.
Old 11-20-15, 01:59 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You could get one of the newer locks that retains the key, but also has the option of a punch pad/thumb print? That way your mother can retain the key, but you could use the code.
Old 11-20-15, 03:19 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pbm317
You could get one of the newer locks that retains the key, but also has the option of a punch pad/thumb print? That way your mother can retain the key, but you could use the code.

that's what I have at my house, we tried it, she doesn't like it.

this is a lady that still uses a rotary phone, trust me when I say technology is not her friend.
Old 11-20-15, 05:27 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

this seems to be an unpopular opinion these days but i actually prefer using a key to a keyless system. idk it's just more of an event using a key instead of just getting in and pressing the button.

for one you don't need to hold the brake pedal, and you just get the nice physical feeling of sticking the key in and feeling the little ridges slide into place (potential innuendo to be found there maybe?). then you get the nice click click followed by the spring like resistance of turning it all the way.

keyless entry is very nice but in terms of actually starting the thing i like the whole procedure of a key
Old 11-20-15, 05:41 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
have fun some day when you come home and the power is out....
Old 11-20-15, 07:48 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

What about your Wallet? i have one of those wallets with a 2 key holders inside. I usually keep a spare house key and another key in it, to the point i've forgotten its in there.
Old 11-21-15, 10:34 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
this seems to be an unpopular opinion these days but i actually prefer using a key to a keyless system. idk it's just more of an event using a key instead of just getting in and pressing the button.

for one you don't need to hold the brake pedal, and you just get the nice physical feeling of sticking the key in and feeling the little ridges slide into place (potential innuendo to be found there maybe?). then you get the nice click click followed by the spring like resistance of turning it all the way.

keyless entry is very nice but in terms of actually starting the thing i like the whole procedure of a key
I tend to agree, there is a certain mechanical satisfaction to turning the key. Same thing with electronic parking brakes, can't stand them, much rather grab a mechanical lever and set it.

Personally I kind of like the switchblade key holder and would probably have one if my Lexus didn't have a big obnoxious key with the remote locking built into it.

http://www.trendhunter.com/slideshow/key-hooks
Old 11-22-15, 10:12 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
have fun some day when you come home and the power is out....

why?

keyless locks are battery operated not powered by the home, they also have a manual key override.

and for those of us with some sense our homes have backup generators.
Old 11-22-15, 10:13 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
What about your Wallet? i have one of those wallets with a 2 key holders inside. I usually keep a spare house key and another key in it, to the point i've forgotten its in there.

as noted above I use a minimalist wallet, specifically:

http://decadentminimalist.com/

no keys fit in it.
Old 11-22-15, 02:33 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
why?

keyless locks are battery operated not powered by the home, they also have a manual key override.

and for those of us with some sense our homes have backup generators.
Fair enough, but battery back up garage door openers are fairly new on the market. And most people do not have backup generators, especially those that automatically kick on when the power goes out, which you would need in this circumstance.
Old 11-23-15, 07:18 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I only carry my car fob when I'm out and about. I use the homelink to open the garage door when I come home, so I don't need a key readily available.

I do, however, have a few keys - key to our house, to my parents' house, and mailbox key. I keep those tucked away in the center console of my car so I have them with me when needed, but don't have to carry them in my pocket.
Old 11-23-15, 11:40 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
Fair enough, but battery back up garage door openers are fairly new on the market. And most people do not have backup generators, especially those that automatically kick on when the power goes out, which you would need in this circumstance.

I've had a Chamberlin battery back up garage door system since 2008, they are not that new.

and yes most people do not have generators, but regardless the key coded or thumb print coded locks use AA or C batteries and are not powered by the house.

as for me, I have 40 solar panels and an Outback Radian Battery backup system, While I am legally required to be grid tied I don't use grid power, the solar charge the Radian batteries and the Radian powers the house at night and during overcast days, the Radian will power the house without use of my Spa or HVAC for 14 days, and 5 days with use of the Spa or HVAC for 4 hours or less a day.

Last edited by mjeds; 11-23-15 at 11:59 AM.

Quick Reply: keys, i hate keys, what do you do with your keys?