Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Honda Pilot - suitable family car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-15, 10:53 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I'd avoid the Pathfinder. It is rated as one of the least reliable SUV's right now.
Sure the Pilot is a good choice. The first model through now have all gained very high scores and tons of recommendations by just about every auto testing entity. It wouldn't take much research to see.
But as others have brought up, there are others to consider. Both the Explorer and the Highlander test out very well and are recommended by most publications. Try out all three in person and pick what you like best. It's pretty much personal preference at that point, and you are gaining a winner with any one of them.
Old 11-20-15, 04:41 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I know its a bit long in the tooth, but go have a look at the Buick Enclave. Styling wise it still looks classier than everything else in this segment.

And I'd also look at a Ford Flex. I personally like the bread box, retro wagon queen family truckster styling. Much better than the Explorer IMO, which looks like the bloated corpse of a Range Rover with the 2016 restyle.
Old 11-20-15, 04:51 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And if you do not or cannot test drive all the other suv, get the Honda Pilot. It is indeed a good vehicle.
Old 11-20-15, 05:22 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Read up on the Infiniti / Nissan CVT on the QX60 / Pathfinder. It seems that it is known to slip and jerk (but Nissan probably won't admit that). I would also be wary about using a CVT on a AWD vehicle in conditions similar to what those 2 guys put the Highlander and Pilot through in the video.

The lower trim levels of the Pilot have a 6-speed auto transmission rather than the 9-speed transmission in the top-trim levels; I believe that the 6-speed transmission has a regular lever rather than the terrible and geeky pushbuttons. Can you live with a lower trim level?

A review I read also mentioned that there is no normal speedometer, only a digital number for speed; and the tachometer and fuel gauges are counter-rotating (one turns the expected clockwise and the other turns in the unexpected counterclockwise direction). If the counter-rotating gauges thing is true, that would kill it for me. But the digital speed reading already killed it.

This is all too geeky for me (typically Honda)... But if you do not mind, try it out.

You can't beat Toyota's ergonomics, though. Instruments are normal and visible and the centre nav display is high up where it is easily glanced without having to drop your head too much.
I think this IP is pretty easy to read (the tach is in a normal configuration--just the temp and fuel have the needles moving in opposite directions):
Attached Thumbnails New Honda Pilot - suitable family car?-pilot-ip.jpg  
Old 11-20-15, 06:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

The IP is easy to read its just ugly IMHO.

Originally Posted by Aaron9000
And I'd also look at a Ford Flex. I personally like the bread box, retro wagon queen family truckster styling. Much better than the Explorer
can't say I agree there lol. The Flex is pretty hideous, its also not nearly as nice a vehicle on the road, and it isn't as adaptable as an Explorer inside.
Old 11-20-15, 07:43 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

our 2014 MDX lease is up soon, haven't seen that mentioned yet here. as a big 7 seater CAR it's really quite incredible how well it drives. 0-60 in like 6.6, and the ride is very smooth, yet tight and agile, all while getting 30+ mpg highway. as an SUV however, i think it's a disappointment compared to previous MDXs. the trunk space is decent but the roof comes down quite low at the back so there's not much room for taller objects. it's also somewhat useless offroad but who's taking their MDX offroad... (me one time and the rear bumper was partially ripped off)

the touch screen replacing the buttons for the radio and climate control also completely ruins it for me. it looks cheaper, is incredibly laggy (so are many of the buttons) and i genuinely believe its dangerous. you can physically feel for a button, but with this screen you need to take your eyes off the road and perform like 3 steps just to raise the fan speed, it'd ridiculous. the engine is just great though. 7000 rpm and sounds GREAT, especially when you get it into VTEC above 5000 rpm. the 6 speed was good too, but now thats been replaced with the crappy (IMO) 9 speed which isn't quite as nice and just has too many gears. if you're in 9th you need to tap on the left paddle for like 3 minutes just before you can get some decent acceleration, and the 9 speed doesn't have the snappy downshifts of the 6 speed, and WORST of all are the stupid buttons replacing the shifter ****.

i'd give the 2015 MDX a look, as long as you're not doing any serious offroading its definitely a great choice for just about any scenario
Old 11-22-15, 11:50 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Honda Pilot, I think is a fine choice, very roomy all around third row isn't bad for a CUV and cargo room behind the 3rd row is pretty good too when I checked it out while my CR-V was in for service, i'd consider it if it would fit my driveway, however the Toyota Highlander I think is worth a look too, drove it while in San Francisco very smooth and quiet.
Old 11-23-15, 12:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

If I am correct, the Pilot is on the same chassis as the Accord and Honda Odyssey. I have always figured that its really just a minivan in disguise.

The wierd thing about Honda Canada is that they put the Pilot in a "Truck" category on their website.
Old 11-23-15, 04:58 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

The one thing I have noticed that I definitely don't like about the Pilot is that the wheel wells look absolutely enormous on the lower level models without the larger sized wheels and tires.
Old 11-23-15, 06:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
If I am correct, the Pilot is on the same chassis as the Accord and Honda Odyssey. I have always figured that its really just a minivan in disguise.

The wierd thing about Honda Canada is that they put the Pilot in a "Truck" category on their website.
This is true, but its true of all these crossovers too. The Highlander is just a "minivan in disguise".
Old 11-24-15, 02:12 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusChris
Honda Pilot, I think is a fine choice, very roomy all around third row isn't bad for a CUV and cargo room behind the 3rd row is pretty good too when I checked it out while my CR-V was in for service, i'd consider it if it would fit my driveway, however the Toyota Highlander I think is worth a look too, drove it while in San Francisco very smooth and quiet.
My neighbor bought a 2015 CR-V about 6 months ago. Soon it would start to stall randomly & often would not restart. Dealer tried 5-6 times to fix it, now they are negotiating with Honda over the Buyback price under CA Lemon Law. Currently it has difficulty idling properly which is a "known issue" by dealers.
Old 11-25-15, 08:01 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
My neighbor bought a 2015 CR-V about 6 months ago. Soon it would start to stall randomly & often would not restart. Dealer tried 5-6 times to fix it, now they are negotiating with Honda over the Buyback price under CA Lemon Law. Currently it has difficulty idling properly which is a "known issue" by dealers.
That's a completely different engine and drivetrain from the Pilot; it would not deter me from the Pilot at all.
Old 11-25-15, 08:27 AM
ybing
Intermediate

You won't go wrong wither the Pilot or Highlander, they are both great; Pilot should have a more sportier feel while Highlander more towards comfort, I believe their is more space at the trunk for the Highlander, but I could be wrong, can't remember LOL

For the 3rd row... if you planning to always have adult sit back there... neither of them are very ideal.

GMC Acadia should have the biggest room at the back, but the problem is... GMC

CX-9 is going to change soon, that car has been using the same spec & design sign first release since 2006

LA Auto:
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/19/2...#slide-3711450
Spy photo for 2017 model on road:
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/24/2...-drive-review/

Honestly... minivan is still the most comfortable 3rd seating
Old 11-27-15, 05:09 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I haven't heard any issues with the pathfinder. Those were the 13 models and some 14. The MY15 seems to be all fixed with transmission updates. I had one and it was great in the snow and never gave me any issues. I think my murano shares the same power train and it has been great as well
Old 11-27-15, 05:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Yes, you are correct....but it should be noted that it's the larger, American-market Honda Accord that shares its platform with the Odyssey and Pilot, not the physically-smaller Accord that is sold overseas. That smaller, non-American market Accord was sold here for several years as the Acura TSX, but has been discontinued in favor of both the smaller Acura ILX and larger TLX sedans.

Same thing here in the U.S.

EPA and DOT, for purposes of new-vehicle-regulations, consider most crossover/car-based AWD, SUV, and CUV vehicles to be trucks rather than passenger-cars. That is the case even with the Subaru Outback, which is not a "truck" by any means (it's actually a raised-suspension Legacy Wagon), yet is classified as a truck.

Quick Reply: New Honda Pilot - suitable family car?