Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Buick LaCrosse

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-15, 07:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
That brings up a good point. For quite some time now, many recent GM cars in the US were from European designs. I think that's cheating in a way, but it has helped the company.

Probably half of everything Buick sells today in the U.S. is either heavily taken from (or is a rebadged) Opel from GM's German arm, keeping American-made drivetrains, trim, and minor details.

I'd be 100% okay with it if I heard GM say, "Hello public, we are sorry we were unable to come up with good designs here in the U.S., so we have turned to Europe (and now China/Korea)." Once the admission is made, I will let them off the hook completely. In the meantime, millions of US customers are buying good-looking GM cars which they think were designed here in the U.S. Not a fan of deception.
Yep.....the last time Buick tried to design its own home-grown small car here in the U.S. was the 1992 Skylark....and we all know what that produced. The 2012 Opel-derived Verano finally put memories of that POS away for good.
Old 11-19-15, 08:19 PM
roadbike56
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That new Buick is sure a beautiful car. I just wonder if GM has learned anything about reliability in their new cars and customer support for their older versions. GM's model is "we sell new cars". Lexus and Toyota understand that they are supporting a generation to keep the value of the older versions high and maintain customer loyalty. That's why a 10 year old SRX in average condition has a trade-in value of under $6K while a 10 year old RX330 in average condition has a trade-in value of over $10K. I used to be a GM person, but I have to see a change in their model to consider a return to the fold.
Old 11-21-15, 12:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Looks quite impressive. Anyone else see the Azera from the side profile?
I like the dash and console very much. It's from the same family as Lexus's 2003 ES300, which in my opinion was the classiest dashboard of any car.
That was the first thing I thought. I still think aesthetically I prefer the Hyundai......... Never thought I would say that 10 years ago
Old 11-22-15, 09:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The car looks OK and plays it safe. I see a lot of Hyundai Genesis from the last gen for the interior, it certainly does not look modern with the interior design, but I think the Chinese is what this vehicle was made for.

A few things:
-why no wood on the steering wheel?
-steering gear looks like it is from the Prius? I would have to check
-rear styling looks a bit off
-why not color on the Buick emblem on the steering wheel, makes the interior look unfinished.
-rear tailpipes look strange as the pipe is within a rectangular pipe?
Old 11-22-15, 10:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I also think the fake wood inside still lets it down.
Old 11-22-15, 10:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
but I think the Chinese is what this vehicle was made for.
That's only part of its potential market. Right here in the U.S., there are plenty of potential buyers waiting for a real alternative to their discontinued Lucernes and Park Avenues. While this car doesn't quite do it in physical size, it seems to do so in spirit.

-why not color on the Buick emblem on the steering wheel, makes the interior look unfinished.
Agreed. The chrome-outline for the Buick Tri-shield, instead of the traditional colors, cheapens it.
Old 11-23-15, 06:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I see a whole lot of Lacrosses on the road right here in the US, I don't think its accurate at all to say that its a car made only for the Chinese market.
Old 11-23-15, 07:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I see a whole lot of Lacrosses on the road right here in the US, I don't think its accurate at all to say that its a car made only for the Chinese market.
I think what she was getting at (but can't say for sure) was the difference between the way Buick typically markets their vehicles inwo countries. Chinese-market Buicks cover a wider range of vehicles and, in some cases, have richer trim on them than here, though the Enclave is certainly plush inside. If a LaCrosse with this kind of interior and exterior makes it to the U.S. market, that would be a first for Buick for some time....and what some former Park Avenue/Lucerne owners might have been waiting for.

To be honest. I'd have at least some interest in one myself, though, for the last several years, I thought the smaller and less-plush Verano was considerably better-built than the Lacrosse, using better materials, as it comes from an Opel rather than a traditional GM platform). But that might also change with the next Verano.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-23-15 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-23-15, 09:57 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
To be honest. I'd have at least some interest in one myself, though, for the last several years, I thought the smaller and less-plush Verano was considerably better-built than the Lacrosse, using better materials, as it comes from an Opel rather than a traditional GM platform). But that might also change with the next Verano.
What?!?!?

Is that how you justify your passion for Buick cars, by claiming that they are Opel cars and denying that Opel is a GM brand (and has been for 80+ years)?
Old 11-23-15, 02:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
What?!?!?

Is that how you justify your passion for Buick cars, by claiming that they are Opel cars and denying that Opel is a GM brand (and has been for 80+ years)?
Totally wrong on all three counts. First of all, I don't necessarily have a passion for Buicks...they make some models I'm not that impressed with, for various reasons....and some models I DO happen to like. Second, I did not say that Opel was not a GM brand....it is, in fact, GM's Euro/German division. But Opel generally does vehicles that are quite different from traditional American-market Buick/GM ones (and, in general, more solidly screwed together)....GM has only started to use Opel platforms for Buicks in the last few years. Third, if you compare the interiors, bodies and general platforms of the Verano and Regal with the Opel Astra and Insignia 4-door sedans, you will find that they are almost 100% rebadged Opels (though the basic Astra platform is also shared with the Chevy Cruze to some extent), with American-designed power trains, a waterfall Buick grille, and Buick sound insulation added to them. That is a fact, not simply my opinion or "justification".

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-23-15 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-23-15, 03:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

the basic Astra platform is also shared with the Chevy Cruze, .
Looks like you are finally admitting that the Cruze, Verano, and Opel models are all related.
Old 11-23-15, 03:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Looks like you are finally admitting that the Cruze, Verano, and Opel models are all related.
I didn't say otherwise. As I understand it (and correct me if you meant otherwise) you were claiming that the Verano was a redone Cruze, which is not really the case. All three (Verano, Cruze, Astra) are ultimately traced to GM's Delta platform, but the Verano is much closer to the Astra than the Cruze is. The Cruze also has some Daewoo influence that the Verano and Astra lack. The Verano's interior and trim are so close to the Astra sedan's, for instance, that it can be considered about a 98% rebadge, with only minor differences inside, like the color of the instrument-panel lights, Buick logo on the steering wheel instead of Opel, and somewhat different seat upholstery (the Verano's front seats are the same type as the LaCrosse, and MUCH more thickly padded than the Astra's). Under the hood, the Verano also has larger engines than the Cruze, and the 6-speed automatic in the Verano has generally avoided the unrefined bump-shifts that have plagued some versions of the Cruze.

Now...the next-generation Verano, which will debut here in the U.S. sometime next year, may or may not remain as closely related to the next Astra as the present one is to the present Astra. When it does becomes available, I, of course, plan to check it out carefully, and will certainly do a write-up on it.
Old 11-23-15, 03:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

mmarshall, if you are saying the Verano, Cruze and Opel models are all based off the Delta platform and are related, I will not argue with you otherwise. BTW, its the Delta II platform they all originate from.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-23-15 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-23-15, 05:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJil
mmarshall, if you are saying the Verano, Cruze and Opel models are all based off the Delta platform and are related,
Only in a very loose, ultimate sense....which is what I said all along. But the Verano and Astra are much closer interrelated than either of them are to the Cruze.

Want proof? Look at the interiors:

Verano:

Astra:

Cruze:

Quote:
BTW, its the Delta II platform they all originate from.
Yes, a typo......that's what I meant; the Delta II.

Quote:
I will not argue with you otherwise.
Don't worry....you'll find something else. (just kidding)

IMO we're also getting off-topic, which is the new LaCrosse.
Old 11-23-15, 07:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Only in a very loose, ultimate sense....which is what I said all along. But the Verano and Astra are much closer interrelated than either of them are to the Cruze.

Want proof? Look at the interiors:

Verano:

Astra:

Cruze:

Quote:
BTW, its the Delta II platform they all originate from.
Yes, a typo......that's what I meant; the Delta II.

Quote:
I will not argue with you otherwise.
Don't worry....you'll find something else. (just kidding)

IMO we're also getting off-topic, which is the new LaCrosse.
mmarshall, the Cruze, Verano, and Opel models that are based on the Delta II platform are more than just a little related. Just like the GX470/FJ/4Runner are all very much similar vehicles, the Cruze and Verano are as well.

Quick Reply: 2017 Buick LaCrosse