Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Lincoln MKZ revealed - all-new 400hp/400tq V6 TT w/AWD

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-15, 08:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
They gave the MKZ a simlar front end to the Lincoln Continental concept car, so I guess we can expect to see this on future refreshed Lincoln models.
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 11-24-15, 09:20 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Somewhere in the Continental release PR was a statement that this was the "new face of Lincoln" so the similarity is not surprising.

I'm not sure why there is so much discussion in an MKZ thread about Lincoln needing a RWD car to compete at the top end. Remember, the MKZ is Lincoln's ES, not a LS or GS competitor. Just think about how much excitement would be generated on this board if Lexus had just announced a twin turbo 400hp AWD ES.
Steve
Old 11-24-15, 09:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Somewhere in the Continental release PR was a statement that this was the "new face of Lincoln" so the similarity is not surprising.

I'm not sure why there is so much discussion in an MKZ thread about Lincoln needing a RWD car to compete at the top end. Remember, the MKZ is Lincoln's ES, not a LS or GS competitor. Just think about how much excitement would be generated on this board if Lexus had just announced a twin turbo 400hp AWD ES.
Steve
I completely agree, I have changed my stance on the idea that a luxury car manufacturer needs a RWD car.
Old 11-24-15, 09:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Just think about how much excitement would be generated on this board if Lexus had just announced a twin turbo 400hp AWD ES.
Steve
Forget a 400 hp engine, I would be excited if Lexus simply upgraded the current ES offering in any way possible. The 3.5 engine that has been essentially unchanged forever...it debuted on the 05 Avalon.
Old 11-24-15, 01:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Forget a 400 hp engine, I would be excited if Lexus simply upgraded the current ES offering in any way possible. The 3.5 engine that has been essentially unchanged forever...it debuted on the 05 Avalon.
The old saying goes. "If it ain't broke", don't fix it."

I don't see where that engine is broke. What's more, not only is it refined, but also extremely reliable, and will run for many years if properly cared for.

Now, for the interior and body...yes, Lexus could improve some of the cardboard-thin materials used...even more so with the Avalon.
Old 11-24-15, 01:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Steve
Agreed that the MKX is Lincoln's ES (even more so, since the ES doesn't offer an AWD version like the MKZ). On the RWD issue, the main argument that some posters seem to be making (though I don't entirely agree with it) is that one cannot be a Tier 1 luxury manufacturer with only V6s and FWD/AWD.
Old 11-24-15, 02:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The issue isn't so much the RWD as it is the longitudinal layout. Audi for instance has achieved tier 1 status without a RWD car, but all their Quattro cars are longitudinal engine layouts and rear biased AWD.

You can't be a legit luxury carmaker if you only sell transverse layout cars that are rebadged versions of downmarket cars. You need some bespoke platforms designed just for you, you need a properly proportioned RWD biased layout with a longitudinally mounted engines.

i.e. Lincoln and Acura, not legitimate luxury cars.
Old 11-24-15, 02:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The issue isn't so much the RWD as it is the longitudinal layout. Audi for instance has achieved tier 1 status without a RWD car, but all their Quattro cars are longitudinal engine layouts and rear biased AWD.

You can't be a legit luxury carmaker if you only sell transverse layout cars that are rebadged versions of downmarket cars. You need some bespoke platforms designed just for you, you need a properly proportioned RWD biased layout with a longitudinally mounted engines.

i.e. Lincoln and Acura, not legitimate luxury cars.
To me this is outdated thinking.
Old 11-24-15, 02:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
On the RWD issue, the main argument that some posters seem to be making (though I don't entirely agree with it) is that one cannot be a Tier 1 luxury manufacturer with only V6s and FWD/AWD.
My opinion has to started to change on all this. The Tier 1 or Tier 2 thing is way outdated.
Old 11-24-15, 03:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Torque steer, of course, is also a potential issue with FWD vehicles and large-displacement and/or high-powered engines, although modern suspension/steering/driveshaft technology has greatly lessened it as a problem. But, even with decades-old technology (and some torque steer), Cadllac did some quite impressive Seville SLS and STS sedans (and El Dorado coupes) in the 1990s using strictly FWD, transverse layouts, and the V8 Northstar power plant.
Old 11-24-15, 04:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

My opinion has to started to change on all this. The Tier 1 or Tier 2 thing is way outdated.
I partially agree with you on this, mainly due to the growing list of so-called "entry-level" vehicles with upmarket/luxury badges on them. A traditional Tier-1 vs. Tier 2 comparison would have been something along the lines of a Lexus LS460 vs. an Acura RL (now RLX), both considered flagship sedans of their respective companies. But, today, there are so many small, compact, or otherwise less-impressive vehicles, even within traditional Tier-1 brands, that it greatly complicates direct comparisons. Take Lexus, for instance. It would be quite difficult, at least IMO, to consider a CT or an IS to be a Tier 1 luxury vehicle. Or the Infiniti Q50, Q60, or QX50. Or the Cadillac ATS. Or the Acura ILX. Or the Audi A3. Or the BMW 1 or 2-series. Yet, these vehicles carry so-called "luxury"-grade nameplates....sometimes Tier-1 names. So, my point is that there is a LOT more difference between top and entry-level vehicles of the same brand than there is between top-level (or entry-level) vehicles between different upmarket-grade brands themselves.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-24-15 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-24-15, 04:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

To me this is outdated thinking.
Look at the result. What really legitimate luxury brand doesn't have a RWD or longitudinal setup or at least one bespoke platform?

An Acura or Lincoln will always be a nice premium car, but people will only pay so much to have a car thats a rebadged Ford or Honda. People will always graduate on to something more "legitimate" eventually.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Torque steer, of course, is also a potential issue with FWD vehicles and large-displacement and/or high-powered engines, although modern suspension/steering/driveshaft technology has greatly lessened it as a problem. But, even with decades-old technology (and some torque steer), Cadllac did some quite impressive Seville SLS and STS sedans (and El Dorado coupes) in the 1990s using strictly FWD, transverse layouts, and the V8 Northstar power plant.
My Dad had a 95 STS. It was a nice car, but he never considered it a real luxury car like a Lexus or Mercedes or BMW, it was what he drove because he couldn't buy or didn't want to pay for what he really wanted which was a Lexus LS. He replaced his Lincoln Continental with that STS.
Old 11-24-15, 05:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Look at the result. What really legitimate luxury brand doesn't have a RWD or longitudinal setup or at least one bespoke platform?

An Acura or Lincoln will always be a nice premium car, but people will only pay so much to have a car thats a rebadged Ford or Honda. People will always graduate on to something more "legitimate" eventually.

My Dad had a 95 STS. It was a nice car, but he never considered it a real luxury car like a Lexus or Mercedes or BMW, it was what he drove because he couldn't buy or didn't want to pay for what he really wanted which was a Lexus LS. He replaced his Lincoln Continental with that STS.
Well, you can have your opinion, my used to line up with yours, but it is changing now.
Old 11-24-15, 05:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Well, you can have your opinion, my used to line up with yours, but it is changing now.
Out of the two of us, I'm the luxury car consumer. My viewpoint on the matter as that consumer is a little more paramount here. At this stage of my life, I'm done buying transverse engined rebadged cars. Never again will I buy one...so when a consumer gets to my position, Lincoln and Acura have nothing to offer me...nor will they ever it seems...so they're not brands I would consider.

If that Lincoln continental were a bespoke platform with a longitudinal engine, I might. But, I don't want a rebadged Ford Taurus.

Someone isn't going to go from a Lexus LS to an MKZ. Someone may go from a Lexus LS to a BMW 7 to an MB S Class...or even a Hyundai Equus. People go from this segment to big luxury SUVs, but they don't go backwards to rebadged midsize FWD cars. Ergo, Lincoln and Acura are not on the same level because the consumer outgrows them.
Old 11-24-15, 05:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

If that Lincoln continental were a bespoke platform with a longitudinal engine, I might. But, I don't want a rebadged Ford Taurus.
The MKS was definitely too much of a rebadged Taurus, and rather disappointing (Consumer Reports was not a fan of it either). It did, though, offer one thing the Town Car didn't (besides better maneuverability)........AWD traction. I think, though, it's a little too early to claim that the new Continental, despite its basic layout, will be just another rebadged Taurus....we just don't know enough about its design yet. And, over at Cadillac, they took such a panning from the XTS that I tend to doubt that, with the CT6, they would do essentially another version of that car.

Quick Reply: 2017 Lincoln MKZ revealed - all-new 400hp/400tq V6 TT w/AWD