Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Lexus/Toyota question. Keyless system

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-15, 12:41 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts
Default General Lexus/Toyota question. Keyless system

I have question about the keyless system.

my wife's 2007 Toyota Camry does this and my new RC-F does this..

sometimes when I turn off the car and open the door the car beeps at me repeatedly (the tone you hear when locking and unlocking, other times it chimes (seat belt chime), and other times it's quiet.

I can't seem to figure out what triggers any of this..

I have tried turning off the car with foot on and off the brake, no difference

I have tried with the headlights on and off, no difference

I have tried opening the door before and after shutting down, no difference.

by no difference I mean that any of the above actions can cause any of the responses, for example brake on/off Beeps or Chimes, or silence.

both cars have the keyless system, push button start. and both do the same thing.
Old 11-13-15, 01:00 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
I have question about the keyless system.

my wife's 2007 Toyota Camry does this and my new RC-F does this..

sometimes when I turn off the car and open the door the car beeps at me repeatedly (the tone you hear when locking and unlocking, other times it chimes (seat belt chime), and other times it's quiet.

I can't seem to figure out what triggers any of this..

I have tried turning off the car with foot on and off the brake, no difference

I have tried with the headlights on and off, no difference

I have tried opening the door before and after shutting down, no difference.

by no difference I mean that any of the above actions can cause any of the responses, for example brake on/off Beeps or Chimes, or silence.

both cars have the keyless system, push button start. and both do the same thing.

Could it be either of the following?
  1. You opened the door and exited the car with the keyfob with you (in your pocket or purse), but with the engine still running (keyfob no longer in a running car).
  2. You shut off the engine and exited the car, but left the keyfob in the car.
Old 11-13-15, 01:08 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sulu
Could it be either of the following?
  1. You opened the door and exited the car with the keyfob with you (in your pocket or purse), but with the engine still running (keyfob no longer in a running car).
  2. You shut off the engine and exited the car, but left the keyfob in the car.

nope.

here is the scenario:

key in pocket, start car, drive.

get to destination, put car in park

roll up windows, close sunroof,

turn off car

open door

sometimes it beeps
sometimes it chimes
sometimes it does nothing.

the only difference is sometimes I have my foot on the brake when turning off the car, other times I don't, but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

both the Camry and the RC-F do this.
Old 11-13-15, 02:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i can't comment on what's happening there, but i am almost 100% sure

if you open the door (any of the doors) before shutting off the car, it will keep beeping. if you shut off the car before opening any doors, it should not beep.

that's the case for all my lexus and also on the 100+ cars that i have worked on (due to my work routine it is an scenario that happens all the time)
Old 11-13-15, 02:24 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl

if you open the door (any of the doors) before shutting off the car, it will keep beeping. if you shut off the car before opening any doors, it should not beep.

that's the case for all my lexus and also on the 100+ cars that i have worked on (due to my work routine it is an scenario that happens all the time)

yeah but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

for example, today when I got to work, I turned off the car, was on a call so I sat in the car for another minute or so, opened the door and everything was silent.

but at lunch I turned off the car, then opened the door maybe 5 seconds later and it was chiming at me.

so to test the timing theory, I got back in, closed the door and started the car, waited a minute then turned the car off, sat in the car for 1 minute then opened the door and it beeped at me.
Old 11-14-15, 10:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Sometimes it gets confused and beeps as if you had opened the door when it was still running.
Old 11-14-15, 10:52 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

If you prematurely open the door before shutting off the engine, it will chime until you shut the door again. All I do is press the pressure nub (not sure what its called ) and it goes off

Old 11-14-15, 11:01 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Sometimes it gets confused and beeps as if you had opened the door when it was still running.
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
If you prematurely open the door before shutting off the engine, it will chime until you shut the door again. All I do is press the pressure nub (not sure what its called ) and it goes off

that makes sense except that is not what is happening. I am not opening the door until after I shut off the car.

previous keyed vehicles chime if you have the key in and open the door, so the chime if car running and opening the door makes sense.

but again, I am opening the door after the car is powered off, and sometimes it chimes, sometimes it beeps, sometimes it does nothing.

I haven't found any combination that doesn't elicit one of the 3 responses, and since the wife's Camry behaves the same, there is obviously nothing wrong with the car, it is a programmed behavior, but I can't for the life of me figure out what triggers it.

The only thing I can figure is there is a timeout associated with turning off the car, if I turn it off and wait then no chime, but if I turn it off and immediately open the door I get the chime.

but what causes the long BEEEEEEEEEEEP to occur, which appears to be associated with some type of error, like the car running and the key not being in the car. But again the car is off and the key is inside the car when the door is opened and the car starts the beep.
Old 11-14-15, 02:53 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Any chance that the lock button on the fob is getting pressed while it's in your pocket? So if the door was opened, and the lock button was accidentally pressed, the car would beep to tell you that you can't lock the door because it's opened.
Old 11-14-15, 07:40 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
Any chance that the lock button on the fob is getting pressed while it's in your pocket? So if the door was opened, and the lock button was accidentally pressed, the car would beep to tell you that you can't lock the door because it's opened.
Not likely. I've been experimenting with the problem and the keys been on the dash.
Old 11-15-15, 02:46 AM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an RC F too. The instrument panel usually will tell you why it's beeping at you. Ex: if I have a window open, it will say "Window open." Are you getting any messages on the instrument cluster?
Old 11-15-15, 07:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Mine have always done this too from time to time, 2010 ES, 2013 GS and 2015 LS...no rhyme or reason I think its just a fluke.
Old 11-15-15, 03:13 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ThaDRD
I have an RC F too. The instrument panel usually will tell you why it's beeping at you. Ex: if I have a window open, it will say "Window open." Are you getting any messages on the instrument cluster?

Yeah I know about that as I occasionally leave the sun roof open, but this isn't that.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Mine have always done this too from time to time, 2010 ES, 2013 GS and 2015 LS...no rhyme or reason I think its just a fluke.
Ok so I'm not crazy. Thanks.
Old 11-15-15, 03:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjeds
Ok so I'm not crazy. Thanks.
Definitely not!
Old 11-16-15, 10:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts