Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Well this just [almost] happened - got RR Sport

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-15, 07:19 AM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Well this just [almost] happened - got RR Sport

[Mod Edit: passed on the RRS for Cayenne as detailed in this thread.]

My wife and I needed a vehicle with a little more utility than her Mazda6. We decided that she would daily drive the Genesis and I would find a used SUV to haul dogs, kids, bikes, and deal with the occasional winter weather. I found a great deal on the Range Rover Sport and had never owned one before - with only 80k on the odometer I am hoping to double that and enjoy a new automotive experience.

Air ride is being replaced with Bilsteins - I know that is a common issue with these so hopefully any other issues will be minimal. From what I have heard and read the drivetrain on this year is very reliable.

Last edited by geko29; 11-17-15 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-13-15, 07:56 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hope you have a warranty plan
Old 11-13-15, 08:03 AM
huddleston
Racer

Originally Posted by doge
hope you have a warranty plan
considering trade in value is 12k and I am in it for much less than that if it becomes too much of a headache I will just sell it back to the dealer I bought it from. I have a long history with them.
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Congratulations.

Land Rover products, in general, have had reliability issues, but, with 80K on the clock, some of the potential problems will have have already been dealt with. I would agree, though, with those who suggest en extended warranty.

One nice thing I liked about RR's of that generation, in contrast to the smaller Evoq, is that their traditional squared-off styling and large windows not only greatly helps space efficiency inside (an apparently important factor in your vehicle-search), but also helps outward visibility. Some SUVs may look more stylish...but you pay a price for it.
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by huddleston
I found a great deal on the Range Rover Sport and had never owned one before - with only 80k on the odometer I am hoping to double that and enjoy a new automotive experience.
With every passing word I cringed harder and harder. May luck be on your side!

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One nice thing I liked about RR's of that generation, in contrast to the smaller Evoq, is that their traditional squared-off styling and large windows not only greatly helps space efficiency inside (an apparently important factor in your vehicle-search), but also helps outward visibility. Some SUVs may look more stylish...but you pay a price for it.
The first gen RRS really isn't that space efficient inside. You ever been in that back seat? Definitely a great looking ride though.
Old 11-13-15, 08:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
With every passing word I cringed harder and harder. May luck be on your side!

The first gen RRS really isn't that space efficient inside. You ever been in that back seat? Definitely a great looking ride though.
No, it's not that long front to back, but the tall roofline and squared-off styling frees up some otherwise unused area.
Old 11-13-15, 09:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Get out the wallet and join AAA.

I would never buy one of thee with this kind of mileage or age.
Old 11-13-15, 11:39 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP said he got a great price and could sell back to the dealer if something really went wrong. My friend got the same one when new, and now 55k on the clock and not a single problem. So it's a hit and miss too.

Good luck and enjoy the truck
Old 11-14-15, 02:04 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

It's more than just the deal or the money saved. It's the time and hassle of being stranded, safety issues, delayed trips, delayed schedules, rental cars, appointments with the dealer, etc. Usually you have to go through a few rounds of that before thinking it's time to dump it. I hope you get lucky and we eat our words. She does have a stately and classy look.
Old 11-14-15, 07:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

i have a friend with a 2011 or 2012 RRS. She literally parks it at the end of her driveway at night with the keys in it hopin someone will steal it. There's a mechanic shop in Bethesda that specializes in Range Rovers too, it looks like a Range Rover dealer with all the trucks constantly on throat, being towed in. Late models too.

It's he "only 80k on he clock" that scares me. 80k is a ton of miles on one of these, it's not a Lexus...
Old 11-14-15, 07:27 AM
kwr
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck. I switched from Lexus to RR over 10 years ago with no regrets. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat. Remember you are posting on a Lexus site so everyone will tell you their friend of a friend doom and gloom story. The key is not to skip the maintenance.

Last edited by kwr; 11-14-15 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-14-15, 07:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
It's he "only 80k on he clock" that scares me. 80k is a ton of miles on one of these, it's not a Lexus...
That's true to some extent, but, by that time in a vehicle's life, at least some of the some of the potential problems or repairs might have already been addressed....things like alternators, ignition coils, wiring harnesses, etc.....
Old 11-14-15, 08:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Default Well this just happened - got RR Sport

Originally Posted by kwr
Good luck. I switched from Lexus to RR over 10 years ago with no regrets. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat. Remember you are posting on a Lexus site so everyone will tell you their friend of a friend doom and gloom story. The key is not to skip the maintenance.
I love Range Rovers. I'd get a new one without hesitation, and they have gotten better. BUT, there is no data out there to support the statement that they are a reliable vehicle from a track record standpoint, and this specific vehicle is from a period where reliability wise they were really quite poor.

I had two Jeeps which I loved, but I'm not going to sit here and tell you that Jeep is a reliable brand. Data out there refutes that. I'd get another one anyways.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's true to some extent, but, by that time in a vehicle's life, at least some of the some of the potential problems or repairs might have already been addressed....things like alternators, ignition coils, wiring harnesses, etc.....
Cars don't get more reliable as they get older.
Old 11-14-15, 08:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I love Range Rovers. I'd get a new one without hesitation, and they have gotten better. BUT, there is no data out there to support the statement that they are a reliable vehicle from a track record standpoint, and this specific vehicle is from a period where reliability wise they were really quite poor.

I had two Jeeps which I loved, but I'm not going to sit here and tell you that Jeep is a reliable brand. Data out there refutes that. I'd get another one anyways.
............and the OP also seems quite happy with his purchase. I've already recommended an extended warranty if possible (so have other posters). IMO, the best thing we can do from here on out, as his fellow forum-members, is simply wish him good luck....and that he keeps enjoying his purchase, like you did with your JGC's.

Cars don't get more reliable as they get older.
In general, that's true, but brand-new parts, as they get replaced over time, are usually more reliable than the worn-out ones they replace.
Old 11-17-15, 06:31 AM
huddleston
Racer

Mods please delete thread if needed. While we were waiting on some of the maintenance items to work out a mint 2010 Cayenne was traded in and we purchased that instead. Starting a new thread on that car. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Well this just [almost] happened - got RR Sport