Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Not so Luxury

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-15, 11:30 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
For most people, Luxury is something that they look up in AWE and Respect.
With MB, it is the history of being the first in many areas (innovator)
With BMW, it is the first of being the first in setting the standards for a vehicle that everyone can drive to the limit without getting scared - the ultimate driving machine.
With Porsche, it is the the car that beats everyone on the track.
With Ferrari, it is the car that won most of, if not all of, the races.

That is what is missing with Lexus.
Nothing more. For your dollar, it is as good or even better then the others in its price class, but that historical piece of claiming we are the the first in - __________ is missing.
Not everyone that buys a lux car is a "car guy"--in fact, most are not.

Those non-car folks don't give a damn about which company is the "innovator" or the "driving machine" or what history the make has; I don't think they even give it any thought whatsoever. They just want a nice car to impress the neighbors.
Old 11-13-15, 12:18 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670

Those non-car folks don't give a damn about which company is the "innovator" or the "driving machine" or what history the make has; I don't think they even give it any thought whatsoever. They just want a nice car to impress the neighbors.
your 99% dont give 2 ... about it directly. Indirectly that information helps build perception of a good brand
Old 11-13-15, 02:20 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh and how do they impress? By regurgitating this historical marketing material.
Old 11-13-15, 04:45 PM
Brolic
Rookie

Originally Posted by doge
This thread is dumb....
OP must got bored and ask a question when no one answer shouldn't matter beside there own.
Old 11-13-15, 08:03 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My RX is luxury enough for me. I don't need exotic skins, sparkling jewels or rare woods. That's NOT to say YOU shouldn't have it. If it's there and you want it then booya, get it. Free country & all that. But sometimes I look at these interiors of exotic cars and just know I'd screw it up in 6 months. Lol.
Old 11-14-15, 06:57 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Oh and how do they impress? By regurgitating this historical marketing material.
Ok--next time you see a suburban housewife in the parking lot of the Kroger getting out of an Escalade, a GL, a Range Rover or an X5, ask her about the car's historical marketing. See what she says.

Last edited by tex2670; 11-14-15 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-14-15, 07:28 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
I didn't even know this was ever in question, of course Lexus is a luxury brand.
+1

Originally Posted by Sevn86
I've gotten the "why did you buy a Lexus? It's an overpriced Toyota."so many times. Ive also gotten Lexus isn't luxury, BMW, Audi and MB are. You should have bought one of those. I would just respond with, it's my money and I can buy whatever I want. I personally don't consider Acura a luxury brand even though it is suppose to be for Honda. I also don't consider Infiniti a luxury brand. Some may disagree and that's okay. I do however consider Lexus a luxury brand with awesome reliability. That's why I have two Lexus vehicles in the family and plan to get another soon.

Tell these folks "Well because I didn't want to get an Audi, an overpriced VW".
Old 11-14-15, 07:33 AM
kwr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
+1

Tell these folks "Well because I didn't want to get an Audi, an overpriced VW".

Yeah buy you can buy one of those overpriced VWs with over 600 HP.
Old 11-14-15, 09:51 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok--next time you see a suburban housewife in the parking lot of the Kroger getting out of an Escalade, a GL, a Range Rover or an X5, ask her about the car's historical marketing. See what she says.
Generally speaking Women rely upon her SO to do that work.
Old 11-14-15, 12:44 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Generally speaking Women rely upon her SO to do that work.
Yup--and I just don't think there's much difference for most people. We can just agree to disagree on this one.
Old 11-14-15, 05:00 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think a better discussion would be whether Lexus is a Tier 1 or Tier 2 luxury automaker. There's valid opinions on both sides of that.
i think the model itself also contributes to that. something like an IS is comparable to a C-class or 3 series, i've been in multiple examples of each and neither is any more luxurious than the other. whereas an LS is definitely comparable to an S class in terms of dimensions, ride quality, comfort, drivetrain layout, engine size... the benz has more 'gizmos' for sure but thats really a lot down to toyota not choosing to make the LS not too overcomplicated and develop reliability issues along the way (W220 anybody?) the celsior is a decent step more luxurious than even a well spec'd LS

if toyota took the V12 from the century and made an option for an LS 500 (or whatever) i think more people would realize that "heritage" and "pedigree" is just a bunch of marketing hot air and that brands like toyota and hyundai are just as capable. and yes, i realize that the V12 in the century is like 20 years old now and doesn't really make that much power but come on you gotta have a V12 option for your flagship
Old 11-15-15, 03:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

"Luxury" is one of those things that depends on the user.

If you're someone who is accustomed to cars of this caliber, then no...they aren't "luxurious" any more. If you're a Rolls Royce owner, then no, none of these cars are "luxury" cars.

To the vast majority of people, a Lexus is certainly a luxury car, and something that is unattainable probably ever in their lives. Thats something we loose sight of, for 95% of the people in this country, a $40,000 car is something they likely will never be able to afford.

Originally Posted by Stroock639
f toyota took the V12 from the century and made an option for an LS 500 (or whatever) i think more people would realize that "heritage" and "pedigree" is just a bunch of marketing hot air and that brands like toyota and hyundai are just as capable. and yes, i realize that the V12 in the century is like 20 years old now and doesn't really make that much power but come on you gotta have a V12 option for your flagship
What you're missing is that "luxury" is not about being capable. Its about fulfilling wants that go beyond what someone needs. Citizen makes watches with precise automatic movement, they are "just as capable" as a Rolex, yet why are they not as "luxurious" as a Rolex? Because the brand, the history, the track record creates part of what makes it "luxurious".

Thats what Lexus lacks, but it will get there. I was 9 years old when Lexus came out, my Dad wanted one at the time but had to wait another 8 years before he could finally get one. So much of our worldview comes from how we were raised. For my kids, they will grow up seeing Lexus as a brand having come long before them, remember their dad driving them and them being an important symbol of luxury and success for him, and to them they will have just as much heritage as Mercedes and more.

It just takes time.
Old 11-15-15, 05:05 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS

What you're missing is that "luxury" is not about being capable. Its about fulfilling wants that go beyond what someone needs. Citizen makes watches with precise automatic movement, they are "just as capable" as a Rolex, yet why are they not as "luxurious" as a Rolex? Because the brand, the history, the track record creates part of what makes it "luxurious".

Thats what Lexus lacks, but it will get there.
But I also don't think that it's fair to use the absolute gold standard of luxury as a point of comparison. Just because a Lexus is not a Rolls Royce doesn't make it non-luxury, or even "Tier 2" luxury. And is is unlikely that Lexus will "get there" to where RR is--I don't think there is any intent to do that (of course, keeping in mind that Lexus did sell a model that cost $375,000).

Just because a Lexus isn't a Rolex doesn't make it not a luxury car. And just because a Tag Heuer costs $2,500, and not $10,000 like a Rolex, doesn't mean it's not a luxury watch.
Old 11-15-15, 05:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

You missed my point. Lexus is clearly a luxury brand. BUT, everybody has different definitions of what "luxury" is to them, and Lexus does not present "luxury" to everyone. Nor does Mercedes, etc. It depends on the consumer and through what lens they view these brands and how they fit into their experience and their worldview.

To someone who collects Rolex watches, a Tag is not really going to be something on their radar neccisariy, or something they consider a "luxury". To some people going out to eat at the Outback is a "luxury".

Lexus won't get to where RR is, of course not. But to successive generations who don't remember a world without Lexus as a luxury brand, they will be further along than they are to people who were 40 year old BMW drivers when Lexus launched their first car. That was my point.
Old 11-15-15, 05:40 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You missed my point. Lexus is clearly a luxury brand. BUT, everybody has different definitions of what "luxury" is to them, and Lexus does not present "luxury" to everyone. Nor does Mercedes, etc. It depends on the consumer and through what lens they view these brands and how they fit into their experience and their worldview.

To someone who collects Rolex watches, a Tag is not really going to be something on their radar neccisariy, or something they consider a "luxury". To some people going out to eat at the Outback is a "luxury".

Lexus won't get to where RR is, of course not. But to successive generations who don't remember a world without Lexus as a luxury brand, they will be further along than they are to people who were 40 year old BMW drivers when Lexus launched their first car. That was my point.
Ok--I'm with you. To the 99%ers, Lexus is lux. But not to the 1%ers.

Quick Reply: Not so Luxury