Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thoughts on Audi S3

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-15, 10:50 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While BMW offers a decent warranty program I'd blow through that milge in the 1st year.

What if any is the warranty on Audi? Their care plan I think only includes oil, filter etc and not hardware maintenance. Might be wrong on that.
Anyway great choice either way but I'd definitely look at GS or RCF(Zero room in the back) since you've opened the options. Can't go wrong with Lexus.
Old 11-14-15, 12:46 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
While BMW offers a decent warranty program I'd blow through that milge in the 1st year.

What if any is the warranty on Audi? Their care plan I think only includes oil, filter etc and not hardware maintenance. Might be wrong on that.
Anyway great choice either way but I'd definitely look at GS or RCF(Zero room in the back) since you've opened the options. Can't go wrong with Lexus.
BMW is 4 yrs / 50,000 mi. You would put 50,000 mi on your car a year? You should be considering only the Lexus, then.
Old 11-14-15, 08:11 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Before I comment, in the interest of full disclosure, I am biased toward the IS.

The Audi S3 and the Lexus IS AWD are cars in different categories.

The S3 is a subcompact to compact-sized car with a transverse engine, FWD-based platform. To me, it is a dressed up VW Golf (same FWD platform). Compare it to the Lexus CT.

The IS is a Lexus compact sports sedan with a proper (for an enthusiast) RWD-based platform. Compare it to the Audi A4 / S4.

If you want to cross-shop the 2, that is fine, but remember that they are cars in different categories.
Old 11-15-15, 01:52 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sulu
The S3 is a subcompact to compact-sized car with a transverse engine, FWD-based platform. To me, it is a dressed up VW Golf (same FWD platform). Compare it to the Lexus CT.

The IS is a Lexus compact sports sedan with a proper (for an enthusiast) RWD-based platform. Compare it to the Audi A4 / S4.
Ok--you totally lost me here. Compare an S3 to a CT? You can't be serious? I mean, I realize that the S3 is small, but it doesn't "compare" to a CT in any other way whatsoever.

And then, you go and make an about-face on the FWD comparison point, and say that an A4 (FWD based platform) compares to an IS?

I don't have an issue with anyone having a bias toward any model, but at least make a comparison based on hard facts.
Old 11-15-15, 01:54 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Ok--you totally lost me here. Compare an S3 to a CT? You can't be serious? I mean, I realize that the S3 is small, but it doesn't "compare" to a CT in any other way whatsoever.
Old 11-15-15, 03:24 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

To be fair, the A3 is classified as subcompact by all the major reviewers and even by official entities like the EPA. The Lexus IS is in the compact classification.

Also, still wondering why the OP is so set on AWD.
Old 11-15-15, 06:22 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

And the IS is an enthusiast car and the S3 isn't? An AWD car will put down torque a lot quicker than a "proper" RWD car. And torque vectoring makes AWD vs. RWD pretty much a moot point.
Old 11-15-15, 08:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
And the IS is an enthusiast car and the S3 isn't? An AWD car will put down torque a lot quicker than a "proper" RWD car. And torque vectoring makes AWD vs. RWD pretty much a moot point.
That's true to some extent. But it is also true that, even with putting torque down quicker, the AWD car usually has more weight and drag to handle, because of the added components in the drivetrain.
Old 11-16-15, 09:18 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

And then, you go and make an about-face on the FWD comparison point, and say that an A4 (FWD based platform) compares to an IS?

You are right, the A4 is a FWD-based platform.

And if we extrapolate your argument, Audis cannot be compared with any luxury-brand models (with the exception of the entry-level models, and Acura's and Volvo's models) since all other luxury brands (with the exception of Acura and Volvo) use RWD-based platforms for their enthusiast models.

Among the luxury brands, only Audi, Acura and Volvo exclusively use nose-heavy FWD-based platforms.
Old 11-16-15, 10:02 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Before I comment, in the interest of full disclosure, I am biased toward the IS.

The Audi S3 and the Lexus IS AWD are cars in different categories.

If you want to cross-shop the 2, that is fine, but remember that they are cars in different categories.

I don't have an issue with anyone having a bias toward any model, but at least make a comparison based on hard facts.

And if we extrapolate your argument, Audis cannot be compared with any luxury-brand models (with the exception of the entry-level models, and Acura's and Volvo's models) since all other luxury brands (with the exception of Acura and Volvo) use RWD-based platforms for their enthusiast models.

Among the luxury brands, only Audi, Acura and Volvo exclusively use nose-heavy FWD-based platforms.
How are you extrapolating my argument? You are the one who said that the S3 can't compare to the IS because it's smaller and FWD. I never said anything about an S3 not comparing to an IS, for any reason. I merely questioned your logic of discounting the S3 because it was FWD based, but then comparing an IS to the A4/S4.

Last edited by tex2670; 11-16-15 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-16-15, 10:08 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

That's one way to look at it, I guess.
Old 11-16-15, 10:31 AM
Scott610
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts
Default I work at Audi but own a Lexus isf

There's a lot of problems with Audi but not until late mileage but nothing wrong with s3 there actually still a new car not many people own it but at the end of the day it's what u like u paying for it but my opinion is to least never own German cars unless u got money to throw away
Old 11-16-15, 10:35 AM
Scott610
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Another suggestion

Looking for awd cars try looking into a Mitsubishi Evo or the Subaru sti or Audi s4
Old 11-16-15, 11:18 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

wow, didn't know they were available lightly used for $40K.

Last edited by bagwell; 11-17-15 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-16-15, 04:52 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Have you thought about the A5 or S5? I know they're more coin comparably equipped, but the back seat in the S3 is so tiny I'd just say screw it and get the way more stylish coupe. The rear seats in the A5 are usuable, they aren't silly like a Porsche 911.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Audi S3