Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How Can Toyota Make Its Vehicles "Ever-Better"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-15, 09:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
haha don't worry i'm ALWAYS down for some vintage 90s lexus commercials,
In the commercial, I always liked that guy's smooth, savvy voice (he did a lot of old Lexus commercials). He could sell ice to an Eskimo LOL.

also just a note for the future, i know how perilous the internet can be and you always have to worry about someone getting offended no matter how seemingly innocent you think something is. when i say something like "sneaky sneaky" i'm just having a bit of fun, i don't mean anything by it when i say something like that. like seriously though you gotta try pretty hard to offend me lol.
OK, fine. No problem. And, with 55,000 posts, believe me, I've seen it all.
Old 11-17-15, 09:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

SW15LS, I am not trying to get a rise out of you. You said you were fine with Lexus and not so fine with Toyota. I on the other hand believe both have a need for a room for improvement. For all I know, the less truck gap that I posted could of been someone who pushed the trunk while it was open and took it off the alignment. But for me, the trunk issue should not be there.

I have been critical when I need to be, I have made issues with the Tacoma and Tundra frames, the missing height feature in the Tacoma and I have been critical of my dads own ES350 which still uses an egine that debuted for MY 05 with the Avalon. The Tacoma using black tape to make it appear as though it has separate B pillar doors and so on.

Back to the LS, its simply unacceptable for a Lexus flagship to still be using the same engine and transmission that came with the 07 model. I don't have much problem with the design of the 13+ as I think it has the best spindle grille and the interior design is first rate. And I have no issues with the leather.

The LX570 still soliders on with no Direct Injection, the GX is under powered for a 4.6 again no DI. I could go on. The bread and butter Camry still uses the engines from the 07 model.
Old 11-17-15, 10:12 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Back to the LS, its simply unacceptable for a Lexus flagship to still be using the same engine and transmission that came with the 07 model. I don't have much problem with the design of the 13+ as I think it has the best spindle grille and the interior design is first rate. And I have no issues with the leather.

The LX570 still soliders on with no Direct Injection, the GX is under powered for a 4.6 again no DI. I could go on. The bread and butter Camry still uses the engines from the 07 model.
agreed, i have felt for some time now that the toyota/lexus lineup has been due for some engine replacements. the standard s class will now totally leave an LS in the dust, it makes me disappointed as someone with an LS lol. especially when the brochure used to boast about the LS beating all its main rivals to 60. i'd like it if the engine remained naturally aspirated, but turbos are definitely the trend these days.
Old 11-18-15, 12:43 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be nice if Toyota or Lexus registered on Motor trend Car of the Year award soon. Might be too much to ask though.
"Other finalists for the Motor Trend Car of the Year were the Audi TT, BMW 7 Series, Honda Civic, Mazda MX-5 Miata, Mercedes-Benz GT S and Toyota Mirai."

I mean a Honda civic makes honorable mention but not a Lexus and only one Toyota?

In the suv category looks like Volvo xc90 wins in the highly competitive suv segment.
Old 11-18-15, 07:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Its basically the same car as the 07 model. Why would they introduce a new engine within the same chassis generation? When the new LS comes out...it'll have new powertrains.

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
It would be nice if Toyota or Lexus registered on Motor trend Car of the Year award soon. Might be too much to ask though.
"Other finalists for the Motor Trend Car of the Year were the Audi TT, BMW 7 Series, Honda Civic, Mazda MX-5 Miata, Mercedes-Benz GT S and Toyota Mirai."

I mean a Honda civic makes honorable mention but not a Lexus and only one Toyota?
In order to be on that list doesn't the car have to be a new or refreshed model?

The fact that the Civic was on the list and not a Lexus is meaningless, cars are compared within their own segments.
Old 11-18-15, 08:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Its basically the same car as the 07 model. Why would they introduce a new engine within the same chassis generation? When the new LS comes out...it'll have new powertrains.
The last few introductions such as the ES, Avalon, IS and Camry all debuted with the same engines as the platform before. So I would say there is a good chance the LS will still use the 4.6.
Old 11-18-15, 08:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The last few introductions such as the ES, Avalon, IS and Camry all debuted with the same engines as the platform before. So I would say there is a good chance the LS will still use the 4.6.
I highly doubt that about the LS from everything we've heard from Lexus, the concept being a fuel cell car, and the delays Lexus has had in rolling out the next gen LS.
Old 11-18-15, 09:37 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I also feel Lexus/Toyota is milking its older engines and technology. Granted, they are quite fuel efficient and reliable but the competition has met or exceeded them in power and efficiency.

I am a big 4runner fan (owned 5 of them) and was hoping for something special with the 2016 Tacoma release (they share drive trains typically). I was actually disappointed, the HP is down compared to the competition and the real world mileage was identical to the Chevy twins....really??

Im not sure what they are thinking lately.....new technology for them is debuting at a snails pace.
Old 11-18-15, 10:17 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

That was because the new model and new engine introductions were on different cycles. The new engines were introduced during the car model mid-cycle changes.
Old 11-18-15, 12:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The ES just went through its mid-cycle change, same engine.
Old 11-18-15, 12:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The ES just went through its mid-cycle change, same engine.
Yup, same identical engine that had debuted in the 05 Avalon.
Old 11-18-15, 03:46 PM
wsheng
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My suggestion for Lexus - probably many of Lexus having same problem - my one is LX570, to use new technology for tire TPMS. It's annoying I can not reset TPMS when I change my snow tires. I have to go to dealer twice a year to be charged $50 each time to reset TPMS. My 2009 SC4300 - only need to do once - it remembers two set of TPMS. But LX570 - no it does not and have to have dealer to reset.
About 10 years ago my Caddy can set TPMS and remember which tire for which - so if the warning light is on, you know which tire having issue.
Lexus really need to be leader not cheaper on TPMS. I'm really disappointed with Lexus on this.

Last edited by wsheng; 11-18-15 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-18-15, 06:34 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

does nobody else think that a $80,000-90,000 supra spiritual successor would not only be good for the toyota image but just be a generally good thing? godzirra is taking a dump all over toyota, it has no competition! there's nothing that really particularly stands out in the toyota lineup. back in 1992 the supra had sequential twin turbos and just blew everything away, now toyota has nothing like that. i mean a 23 year old car is still the fastest toyota ever. and i mean toyota and not lexus. well after all the supra was developed from the SC so maybe the RC will be a platform for a driver-oriented sports car. and it better have a 6 speed manual option...
Old 11-18-15, 08:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
does nobody else think that a $80,000-90,000 supra spiritual successor would not only be good for the toyota image but just be a generally good thing? godzirra is taking a dump all over toyota, it has no competition! there's nothing that really particularly stands out in the toyota lineup. back in 1992 the supra had sequential twin turbos and just blew everything away, now toyota has nothing like that. i mean a 23 year old car is still the fastest toyota ever. and i mean toyota and not lexus. well after all the supra was developed from the SC so maybe the RC will be a platform for a driver-oriented sports car. and it better have a 6 speed manual option...
While there is nothing necessarily wrong with power (up to a certain point), speed alone is not what necessarily sells a vehicle. And Toyota has done quite well in the (roughly) 20 years since the American-market Supra was dropped.
Old 11-18-15, 11:11 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
While there is nothing necessarily wrong with power (up to a certain point), speed alone is not what necessarily sells a vehicle. And Toyota has done quite well in the (roughly) 20 years since the American-market Supra was dropped.
They still haven't offered enthusiasts jack ***** for a performance car since the 1990's/early 00's, except for the Scion FR-S. Which I really don't even count as a Toyota, its a Subaru with a Scion badge IMO.

Back in the 90's they had the mid-engined MR2, the Supra, the all-trac 4wd Celica, the ugly but really fun to drive mid engine MR-S convertible, the 180hp, 8000rpm screamer Celica GT-S, that same engine in a more practical wagon with the Matrix.

Quick Reply: How Can Toyota Make Its Vehicles "Ever-Better"?