Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How Can Toyota Make Its Vehicles "Ever-Better"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-15, 01:12 PM
DShiekhi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Can Toyota Make Its Vehicles "Ever-Better"?

How Can Toyota Make Its Vehicles "Ever-Better"?

I'm sure many of you forum members out there own or have owned Toyota vehicles. How can the company improve upon them?

Read the rest on the ClubLexus.com homepage. >>
Old 11-12-15, 01:27 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

by adding a supra to its lineup
Old 11-12-15, 05:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Did my comments really make it on the home page? Wow. Take that mmarshall...

I would say Toyota needs fully boxed frames on their US trucks. Everywhere else Toyota uses a full boxed frames.
Old 11-12-15, 05:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Did my comments really make it on the home page? Wow. Take that mmarshall...
I'm not sure what that has to do with me. I had not even replied to the OP yet.

Having said that, though, I generally agree with those comments you made on seat cushions and grab-handles. I'd also add that the Tacoma, especially the upmarket versions, could use a real power-seat, such as is offered in the Colorado and Canyon.

I would say Toyota needs fully boxed frames on their US trucks. Everywhere else Toyota uses a full boxed frames.
Might be a weight issue. I'm sure they've tested their current C-Channel frames and found them adequate.
Old 11-13-15, 08:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

For those who actually want my advice on what is most needed at Toyota (some people may not care what I think), I'd say the main thing is to stop the long-standing trend towards cost-cutting in interior and exterior hardware. And good news.....these is some evidence that they are indeed doing better on the very latest new models I've seen....those in the last 12-18 months or so.
Old 11-13-15, 10:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
For those who actually want my advice on what is most needed at Toyota (some people may not care what I think), I'd say the main thing is to stop the long-standing trend towards cost-cutting in interior and exterior hardware. And good news.....these is some evidence that they are indeed doing better on the very latest new models I've seen....those in the last 12-18 months or so.
Most of the current Toyota and Lexus models are fine, they are more than competitive You have a bias towards GM product so it would be very hard for you look at things objectively.

My big issue with the current Tacoma is that it is essentially the same model from the generation before. Most interiors of modern Toyota models are actually pretty interesting.
Old 11-13-15, 03:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Most of the current Toyota and Lexus models are fine, they are more than competitive You have a bias towards GM product so it would be very hard for you look at things objectively.
No, I do not have a pro-GM bias. GM does in fact make some excellent vehicles, but, like Chrysler, they still produce some vehicles (like they have for many years) that are unreliable and/or borderline junk. I call it like I see it....without trying to unjustly sugarcoat or pan a vehicle.

I have also owned both Toyota and Lexus vehicles, BTW....and my late mother (God rest her soul) owned and drove a Corolla, just like you do.

Just like a few days ago when I misinterpreted one of your posts, you sometimes do with mine.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-13-15 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-13-15, 04:35 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have very few criticisms of my GS350:

Needs:
Hard A/C button
Hard buttons for radio presets
Apple carplay
Less cheap sounding engine
Better MPG or larger fuel tank
Air conditioned seats (not ventilated)

Lexus is the only luxury brand with quality that I trust and I love that they have embraced Japanese styling both inside and out.
Old 11-13-15, 04:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sivikvtec
I have very few criticisms of my GS350:

Less cheap sounding engine
Not sure what you mean by "cheap sounding engine", but the Lexus 3.5L V6 is generally smooth and quiet.
Old 11-13-15, 04:46 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The GS350 replaced a 1999 GS400 with the legendary 1UZ engine. That engine had a premium sound and feel. The V6 in my 4GS does not feel or sound special, feels coarse and less refined...I'm sure it's partly due to direct injection.
Old 11-13-15, 11:36 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

By not having any parts made in Mexico or China.
Like Takata air bag did.
Old 11-14-15, 03:43 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More powerrrrrrrr
Old 11-14-15, 04:15 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Toyota has better reputation than the product so making a product better is not that hard to do. Making it as profitable as is right now without "market adjustment" is a different story.
Old 11-14-15, 08:39 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Toyota has better reputation than the product so making a product better is not that hard to do. Making it as profitable as is right now without "market adjustment" is a different story.
Toyota does have a good reputation, earned from years of producing very good product. But that reputation was earned during a period when the Japanese Yen was valued less than it is now. Toyota could afford to produce a good product in Japan and sell it in North America at competitive prices.

But as the Yen started to rise in value (or, relatively, the US Dollar started to fall), production costs increased to the point that to maintain the same quality would have meant prices would be too expensive for the average North American buyer. So we saw cost-cutting starting to happen and we started seeing worse interior material quality, non-adjustable rear headrests, and rear drum brakes and beam suspensions on the Corolla. It seems that other Japanese auto manufacturers (like Honda and Mazda) were better able to hide the cost-cutting than Toyota.

But with the introduction of the new TNGA (Toyota Next Generation Architecture) platform and its new, less expensive manufacturing methods, production costs should drop and Toyota should -- hopefully -- be able to use the saved monies to afford better interior materials while still keeping prices at the same point. Or Toyota better learn from Honda and Mazda about how to hide their cost-cutting.
Old 11-14-15, 09:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
Or Toyota better learn from Honda and Mazda about how to hide their cost-cutting.
Honda had cost-cutting problems of their own....particularly with the 2012 Cvic, which was panned by reviewers so bad in its first year that Honda had to rush through a 12-month emergency interior upgrade for the next year (2013).

Quick Reply: How Can Toyota Make Its Vehicles "Ever-Better"?