Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Annual Holiday Full-Review: 2016 Lexus RX

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-15, 07:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default MM Annual Holiday Full-Review: 2016 Lexus RX

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays....a Full-Review, by request, of the all-new 2016 Lexus RX

http://www.lexus.com/models/RX

http://www.lexus.com/models/RX-hybrid

IN A NUTSHELL: The world's most ubiquitous luxury crossover SUV gets a major styling transformation.

CLOSEST AMERICAN-MARKET COMPETITORS: Acura MDX, Infiniti QX60, BMW X5, Audi Q5, Cadillac SRX/XT5, Lincoln MKX, Volvo XC90, Mercedes GLE(?), Land Rover LR-4

;

;

;

(RX450 Hybrid)

;

;

(RX350)

;

(F-Sport interior)

;

;

OVERVIEW:

For this year's Annual Holiday Review, I couldn't think of a better candidate than the new Lexus RX, and, of course, had multiple requests for it. This major redesign has generated great interest and debate for months (and, of course, many others, particularly in the auto press, have already written their own reviews of it). Numerous comments have arisen, not only on its looks and body-styling, but on the question of whether it would include (for the first time) a 3rd-row seat. For now, the answer to that question is no, but Lexus officials are either mum or evasive on what we might see in the future, as potential customer interest in a 3-row car-based SUV from Lexus remains quite high. Currently, Lexus offers the 3rd-row seating only in the truck-based GX and LX models, both of which are truck-based inn design and more expensive than the RX.

Although Jeep had introduced the upmarket Wagoneer somewhat earlier in 1963, the British Range Rover, first introduced in 1970, was probably the first real attempt by the auto industry to produce what could be called a "Luxury" SUV.....combining all-weather security, off-road-prowness, ease of operation, and interior plushness/comfort for its occupants. In this, it succeeded, although its price tag put it out of the range of many prospective buyers, American-market dealership outlets for it were relatively sparse at the time, and, like many other British-designed vehicles of the era, it and its Lucas electrical systems became notorious for being about as reliable as a submarine with screen doors. (Ironically, according to Consumer Reports, the Range Rover, 45 years later, still ranks low in reliability, and its price tag still puts it up in country-club territory).

Roughly twenty-five years later, in the mid-late 1990s, the Subaru Outback/Forester, Toyota RAV-4, and Honda CR-V pioneered the (now) tremendously popular concept of a crossover, car-based, unibody SUV (or, better know as "CUV"....for Cute Utility Vehicle). These were reliable, relatively inexpensive and affordable (I owned an Outback myself for six years), versatile and useful in many different conditions (which earned them a place not only in suburbia but other locals as well), relatively easy to drive/steer/handle, and rode reasonably comfortably.....Subarus especially so. These vehicles, predictably and not surprisingly, were more of a hit than free beer at Clancy's bar....just like minivans had been 10-15 years before, in the mid-late 1980s. But CUVs and the first wave of crossover SUVs could hardly be considered true luxury vehicles where comfort and interior trim was paramount.

Enter the first Lexus RX in 1998. The RX was arguably the first true car-based, crossover, unibody SUV that could be truly considered a luxury vehicle, designed with not only the usual all-weather security and mild off-road capability, but also with passenger-comfort and plush trim in mind. Being a Lexus product, it was, of course, reliable, as with most vehicles of that nameplate. Its generous wood trim, plush soft seating leather, many comfort/convenience features, and copious amounts of sound-insulation made it essentially a bad-weather Jaguar (minus Jaguar's British unreliability). Best of all, its price tag, while not inexpensive by any means, did not require one to re-finance their house to buy or lease one. Not surprisingly, RX sales immediately took off....and, again not surprisingly, many competitors appeared over the years. However, to this day, the RX remains wildly popular in the American market (especially in suburban areas), and, despite competition (sometimes serious competition) from many European, American, Japanese, and Korean vehicles of this type, it still is at or near the top of sales in its class every year. Some doubt is taking place, among not only auto reviewers, but in the blogosphere as well, if RX sales can or will keep up as a result of this major restyling. As I see it, this vehicle is so popular, and has been for so many years, that I would not bet one thin dime against it continuing to appeal to the masses....though some potential buyers might still be disappointed at the lack of a 3rd-row seat option.

For 2016, the all-new 4th-Generation RX comes in four basic trim-lines......RX350, RX350 F-Sport, RX450h (Hybrid), and RX450h F-Sport. RX350 F-Sport models come standard AWD; the Hybrid 450h F-Sport with FWD.......the others all have a choice of FWD or AWD. RX350 and F-Sport models come with a 3.5L V6 of 295 HP and 268 ft.-lbs. of torque and an 8-speed close-ratio Sport-Shift automatic transmission (sorry, folks, the F-Sport package is mostly trim and underpinnings, not more engine power). RX450h Hybrid models come with the same V6 engine and traction-electric motor with a total system 308 HP and a CVT (Continuously-Variable-Transmission).....Lexus does not list individual power/torque/RPM ratings on its web site for the hybrid components. Again, there is no difference in power for the Hybrid F-Sport version over the standard Hybrid....it is chiefly trim and underpinnings. Starting prices range from $41,900 on base FWD models to $55,645 for the RX450h Hybrid F-Sport.

For the review, I looked at, and sat in, several different new RX interiors, including a nice black-on-black F-Sport model which listed for some 56K...no cheapie (and one blue standard, non-F AWD model there listed for over 59K). In one sense, it was a good day to try out several interiors and their different seats, as my lower back is still a little sore from what I think is a muscle-pull in it a few nights ago (should heal up in a few more days). The new RX's relative ease-of-entry/exit height also helped....more on that later.

Whether it was just the novelty of an all-new or major-redesigned vehicle (which often draws crowds), the fact that it was the Veterans' Day Holiday sale (thanks to all of you who have served and sacrificed), or whether this is just an indication of what is to come in the RX market, customer and test-drive traffic for the new version, at the Lexus shop I was at today, was like a zoo. (Jill, you might have a point on that mega-home-run comment, at least for now LOL). Some of the reps and staff there already knew me (or still remembered me) from when I had bought my yellow IS300 there some years ago. There were maybe six or seven new RX models in stock there (including a black-on-black F-Sport at 56K). After checking out the F-Sport interior, I was going to consider doing a test-drive, as F-Sport models seem to generate a lot of interest in this forum. No Dice....wasn't to be. Just like that, that quickly, a sales-rep came out with a prospective customer, took off with that customer for a test-drive......and, Bingo, it was sold. (like other Lexus dealers, this one has the option of a huge gift-bow around it this time of year if it is a Holiday present for someone else). Other, generally less-expensive models on the lot (though one listed for more than 59K) were also being looked at, and test-driven, by prospective customers. I actually had to wait for the one I eventually test-drove (a gray AWD lightly-optioned model listing at some 46K) while a very nice young Asian saleslady * went out in it with a couple. When they brought it back, it was still for sale and had not been sold, so I was able to take it out myself. I told her I'd probably have it out somewhat longer, for an adequate road review, than she and the couple did, and she didn't mind....just don't put too many miles on it. So, off I went. Sure enough....when I got back, someone else was waiting for it....so I just handed them the key-fob and left the test-drive plate on. Ah, such is the lure, sometimes, of an all-new model.

And....for the results? Read on.

*On the subject of salesladies, I'd like to take this review to remember the late AsianGirl007, a member of this forum for years, who once sold new and used Lexus vehicles at Longo Lexus of El Monte, CA, one of the largest, most advanced, and most sophisticated Lexus dealerships in the country....a well-respected operation. All of their new-vehicle inventory, for example, is kept indoors, out of the weather and other deteriorating effects. She contributed a lot to this forum, especially to those prospective with new-vehicle-buying or financing questions. Unfortunately a premature illness took her from us several years ago...she, of course, is sorely missed, but undoubtedly is still with us in spirit. RIP, Asian Girl.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2016 Lexus RX350 AWD

BASE PRICE: $43,300

OPTIONS:

Touch-Free Rear Hatch Opener: $200

Heated Front Seats: $440 (IMO, this should be standard in a vehicle of this class, and heated/cooled front seats are an additional charge)

All-Weather Floor/Cargo Mats: $190

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $940 (a little steep for a vehicle this size, but not unreasonable)

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $45,070

DRIVETRAIN: AWD, Transversely-mounted 3.5L V6, 295 HP @ **** RPM (Lexus doesn't provide the peak HP RPM on its site), Torque, 268 Ft-lbs. @ 4700 RPM, 8-speed close-ratio Sport-Shift automatic transmission.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 19 City, 26 Highway, 22 Combined

EXTERIOR COLOR: Nebula Gray Pearl

INTERIOR: (Two-Tone) Stratus Gray/Gray Sapelle Leather.

PLUSSES:

Lexus reliability.

Smooth, refined V6 and 8-speed automatic.

Effective drive-mode calibrations.

Good ride comfort on base wheels/tires. (didn't sample the others)

Good wind noise isolation.

Quite good handling/steering response by SUV standards.

Lower-body cladding protects paint from road debris.

Good exterior hardware and fit/finish.

Typical superb Lexus paint job.

Solid, hefty doors.

Relative ease of entry/exit.

Easy-to-read gauges.

Generally easy to use buttons/controls (on non-NAV versions)

Solid, high-quality interior hardware.

High-quality interior trim materials and fit/finish.

Choice of several interior trim patterns/colors.

Standard First-Aid Kit.

Relatively roomy, well-finished, and space-efficient cargo area.

MINUSES:

Lack of a 3rd-row seat (for those many prospective buyers who wanted one).

Crowded underhood layout.

Some audible road noise on base-level tires, but not bad.

Wide center console impacts driver/front-passenger knee-room.

F-Sport front seat-back cushions a little narrow for some wide torsos.

No body-side moldings for parking lot protection.

Somewhat tacky-looking (IMO) center-dash video/NAV panel.

Limited rear visibility out the back.

EXTERIOR:

Those who have not (yet) physically seen the new 2016 RX, and are accustomed only to what was done in the styling department for the last three RX generations, will be in for quite a surprise this year.....although, in several ways, it is just a more-or-less big-brother version of the NX's all-new styling last year. Up front, we'll start with the most obvious (and immediately noticeable) change from the 2015 RX....the big spindle-grille that, along with some very sharply-creased hollows/recessions, completely dominates the front end. The color and trim-pattern of the spindle grille differs among the several trim-versions, but all of them pretty much make a bold statement. Styling, of course, is subjective, and no two opinions may be exactly alike on the same vehicle. I myself was not a fan of the new RX's radically different front-end when I first saw it in pictures. But, on the lot, actually looking at it in person, I found it more amicable and less offensive than what I first saw in the pictures and Internet images. Still not my favorite styling by any means, and it wouldn't be my first choice, but I could live with it if I had to.

Another noticeable (and significant) change, in back, is the "Floating Roof" effect on the D-pillars. This is actually a smoked/blacked-out glass and sheet metal effect on the outside, a small clear-glass outward-visibility window on the inside, together with a dip in the rear roofline, creating an effect where the rear sheet metal on the roof "floats" a couple of inches, with a dark gap, above the bottom of the D-pillars. The overall shape of this rear end is more or less similar to the latest Nissan Murano, though the Murano lacks the float roofline effect. Again, I'm not a terribly big fan of this effect (and it doesn't do a whole lot for visibility out the back), but it is interesting, and I know that subjective opinions will differ. The vehicle's height-stance off the ground, especially with the power-seat-controls set for a person of my size (in other words, with the bottom cushion down low), made for very easy entry/exit for a person my size....with my rump right at seat level. Nice, of course, because that also made it easier on my still-somewhat-sore lower back.

The body sheet metal, at first, to me, felt a little thin...but, comparing it to last year's 2015 RX parked right next to it, I couldn't feel any appreciable difference in how easy the metal buckles. Up above are very nice chromed roof-rack rails that are solidly attached and with excellent fit/finish. The side-mirror housings have nice turn-signal indicators in them. The doors themselves, despite thinnish sheet metal on the surface, have a very hefty, solid feel to them....perhaps too heavy for some frail people or arthritic arms/hands/shoulders. Outside, the "thunk" upon closing, while reasonable, is not that substantial, but inside, they shut with a definite thunk....and their heavy construction gives you a secure feeling that you will generally be well-protected in a side-impact. Down below, running around the entire lower-end of the vehicle, including both ends, is a nice strip of black body-cladding that protects the paint from road debris.....though the bean-counters, as usual nowadays, omitted the side door-mouldings to protect from parking-lot dings.

And, if at all possible, mouldings or not, you certainly don't want to ding up this paint job, as it is done with the (usual) Lexus excellence in application and a surface that is almost mirror-smooth. Some day, just out of curiosity, I wouldn't mind seeing how the metal-finishing stages and paint-robots in the Lexus plants operate. Some of the exterior colors, IMO, are on the dull side, but the Matador Red is stunning, and I also liked the White Pearl, the Brownish Autumn Shimmer, and the dark-blue starlight-effect of the Nightfall Mica....that mica-effet is very nice.

So, again, for those who have not seen the exterior of new RX, and remember only previous models......you're probably in for a surprise.

UNDERHOOD:

The hood felt light, but somewhat stronger and stiffer than some of the other body panels (perhaps from aircraft-grade aluminum like on the new Ford F-150?....couldn't quite tell). Open it, and a pair of nice gas struts holds it up for you. On the underside of the hood is a nice insulation pad. Despite the fairly large engine compartment, the sideways (transversely) mounted 3.5L V6 engine fits in on the tight side, with little room to reach components down the sides of the engine. The big plastic engine cover (a hallmark of most Lexus products and many others in the upmarket-vehicle class) blocks virtually all of the engine's top-access. Other underhood components are pretty close to the engine, with much access-room. The battery, on the right, is at least partly exposed, and the dipsticks/filler-caps/fluid-reservois are easily reached. But, in general, Technicians and Do-it-Yourselfers probably won't enjoy working on this vehicle.

INTERIOR:

Many positive comments have been written, in other reviews, about the quality and execution of the new RX's interior, and IMO, based on my own review, most of them are deserved. The overall visual-theme and basic design of the new interior more or less mimics that of other new or recent Lexus products. With the new RX, it is obvious, from the moment one slips into the comfortable leather seats and shuts the thunk-solid doors, that Lexus spent the time, money, and resources to address a common complaint in some other recent vehicles that they have introduced....lighter-grade interior materials with a cheaper feel. Almost nowhere in the RX's new interior did I get that impression at all. Virtually everything, with the possible exception of the F-Sport's plastic paddle-shifters, felt substantial, solidly-attached, of high quality, and designed to last the life of the vehicle. I only have two minor complaints. First, that the edges of the wide center-console somewhat restrict the driver and front-passenger's knee-room, so that your leg or knee is sometimes resting uncomfortably on the edge. Second, the tacky-looking rectangular video screen that sticks up out of the center-dash look like a hastily-installed afterthought. (some versions also had an awkward-feeling mouse-controller on the console). But everything else inside feels like it was hand-crafted in Santa's Elf factory....fitting, of course, for this Holiday Season review LOL. Overhead, the felt-fabric-lined sunroof housing is designed in a way that allows scalloped-out sections in it for added front/rear headroom. The same nice felt-fabric coats both sun-visors, which gives them a silky feel. The F-Sport interior, with its mild-sport-orientation, has metallic-drilled pedals for the gas and brake, different trim patters/colors from the others, and front seats designed for more lateral support. The lower-cushions of the power-seats were quite comfortable for me in all versions (including the F-Sport), but, for for a person with my tall and wide torso, the upper seat-bolsters on the F-Sport models were just slightly (borderline)too narrow...but not enough for me to list as a complaint. The wider upper-seat cushions in the other versions, of course, were no problem for my torso at all. Most persons, of course, being physically smaller than me, probably won't have any issues with any of the seats....and these seats felt comfortable enough to take a long trip in without any problem. The grade of leather used on them, in all versions, also felt quite nice. Base-trim models use the NuLuxe seat covering, which I have always liked since I first saw it in the CT200h. IMO, it is one of the best imitation-leather coverings in the industry (and I'm sure a lot of cows agree LOL).

The buttons/controls are all generally clearly marked and easy to use, though, of course, the NAV versions have more complex controls and menus to navigate through than the base ones. The analog-style electronic gauges are blank when the ignition is switched off, but then come to life with the engine, and are clear and easy to read. The trim pieces are slick and as solidly-attached as a rock. The steering wheel has a nice thick leather-covered rim that is comfortable to hold, and is well-designed for the relatively large number of controls/buttons on it. The glove-box door and latch, push-button-activated, are solid enough to avoid the thin/flimsy feel of those on some other recent Toyota/Lexus products. The stereo sound quality, while not in the Mark Levinson class like on the Lexus LS, is good enough to be music to one's ears (Pun intended, LOL). In the center of the dash is a chrome jewel of an analog clock.....much like what we saw from Infiniti years ago. Best of all, the new interiors are available, depending on the model/exterior color/series, in a number of monotone, two-tone, and different wood-trim or other trim-pattern designs.

In general, well-done inside, Lexus.

CARGO COMPARTMENT/TRUNK:

My test-vehicle lacked a lot of options, but did include the ($200) Touch-Free Rear-Hatch opener.......a first on production Lexus vehicles, which works by placing your hand near a sensor buried in the Lexus symbol on the hatch. It's a nice feature, I'll admit, but, IMO, the hatch-opening system that Ford and Mercedes uses by sweeping one foot under the rear-bumper is actually more convenient if both of your hands are full of bags or packages. Once the power-operated hatch is up, it reveals a relatively roomy cargo area, though probably not quite as roomy as if the rear end had been squared-off a little more. Once again, as with the interior, there just isn't enough room in the cargo area to fit in a third-row seat that would hold anything more than small children or items. To do that, the engineers would have to lengthen the structure some, though there is some talk of maybe doing that in the future.

The cargo area itself, as befits a Lexus product, is very well-finished and has some nice materials in it. A nice grade of carpet adorns the floor, and a VERY solid pull-shade cargo cover (as compared to the weak roll-spring and paper-thin cover in the Toyota Prius) hides the cargo and packages from prying eyes. My test-vehicle also had the optional ($190) all-weather interior rubber floor-mats and Subaru-style molded-vinyl cargo-floor tray to protect the carpet from weather and spills. In each corner of the cargo floor was a nice pull-up cargo tie-down loop (four in all) which looked and felt like real chromed metal...not cheap plastic. On the right wall was the standard First-Aid Kit, a Lexus tradition, and often found in this upmarket class of vehicle. Under the cargo floor is (you guessed it)......a temporary spare tire instead of a real spare. I used to list temporaries and donuts as a complaint, but it's like talking to a wall, as the auto companies seem determined to keep real spare tires out of almost everything but off-road vehicles....and then sometimes as an option, not standard. The Chevy SS is the last sedan I saw with a real spare-tire option, but it is a low-volume, Australian (Holden)-built sedan that is going out of production soon. And even a temporary spare is better than what some vehicles now give you...a Fix-a-Flat compressed-air bottle, which is about as useful as a submarine with screen doors.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the ubiquitous Toyota/Lexus 3.5L V6 with a key-fob and engine START/STOP button, and the engine comes to life in the same manner that it has always done....smooth, quiet, and refined. It's not quite as silky as the butter-smooth Lexus V8s, but certainly beats not only most four-cylinders, but even some other V6s as well. Lexus has been criticized, in the auto press, and among some reviewers, for using so-called "outdated" V6 powerplants needing updated designs.....but in general, I disagree. I don't see any need for the engineers to spend time, money and resources redoing this engine, except maybe to get a few more MPGs out of it for the upcoming Government CAFE fuel-mileage rules. Because of those CAFE rules, a number of former V6 engines are being replaced by four-cylinder turbos, even in mid-sized vehicles. (Oh, and, yes, they could maybe fit it in underhood a little better LOL).

Anyhow, unlike the smaller 2.5L V6 used in the Lexus IS250, this 3.5L, in the RX state of tune, doesn't lack for power at all, and has an adequate and reasonable amount of grunt for most normal driving. (And, of course, people don't buy the IS250 for power, but for small-V6 refinement, which it delivers). The 3.5L's noise level is generally low, even under significant acceleration, though you will hear some exhaust and wind-up noise as it approaches 4000 RPM (as usual, I didn't take it much over 4000, as brand-new engine should not be until after break-in). The big drive-mode **** on the center console (ECO / NORMAL / SPORT) was generally effective, with noticeable differences in throttle-response and transmission-shift characteristics in the three positions. In some vehicles, the effect is so unnoticeable that the **** might as well not be there at all.

The 8-speed Sport-Shift automatic transmission almost seemed like overkill, with probably no need for the upper pair of gears at most legal American highway speeds, though triple-digit speeds on the German Autobahns might be a different matter. The shift lever, on the console, has the zig-zag fore-aft motion that I usually dislike (I generally like a straight back-and-forth motion). But, in this case, the lever is so silky-smooth and easy to move in its operation that I did not find the zig-zag motion very objectionable. Even in the SPORT and/or manual modes, the transmission was always smooth-shifting and refined....typical of most Lexus products. F-Sport models have plastic shift-paddles on the steering column (they feel better than they look, with a cheap finish on them). With base versions like the one I drove, you simply bump the lever up or down a notch in the manual-shift gate.

The new chassis was also surprisingly well-designed, with good road manners in most areas. Ride comfort over bumps, with the tall-profile 65-series 18" all-season tires, was quite good by SUV standards....better, IMO, than the last-generation base-model RX. (larger tire/wheel packages and/or the F-Sport option could be expected to be a little stiffer). Steering response was surprisingly good (again, by SUV standards), considering the non-sporting tires/wheels....though with the electric power-steering pump, there wasn't a whole lot of road-feel in the steering itself. Body roll was reasonably well-controlled, though vehicles of this stance off the ground can be expected to have at least some roll. Again, the F-Sport suspension could be expected to stiffen things up a little, but I found the standard underpinnings and tires just fine. Wind noise was very well-controlled, though a fairly small but noticeable amount of road noise from the all-season tires did penetrate the cabin....it was somewhat more audible at low speeds than at higher ones. The new RX is a little unusual in the brake department...base versions have larger 13.3 inch solid-disc rotors in back, as opposed to smaller 12.9 inch ventilated discs/rotors up front. usually larger brakes are used in the front of vehicles with the engines up front, because of forward-weight transfer on heavy braking. Surprisingly, at least from what I could find in the specs, the F-Sport models have the same brakes as the other models. The brakes, though, are generally effective, and I didn't find any problems with them...including my big circus-clown size-15 shoes having any hang-up problems on the edge of the brake pedal when lifting off the gas, like what happens in some vehicles.

THE VERDICT:

There's little question that Lexus has come up with a controversially-styled but nice-driving replacement for past RX models, though the long-term question of whether there will ever be a 3rd-row seat, to satisfy increasing public demand, still seems to be unanswered with the new design. Lexus still points 3rd-row customers to the truck-based, body-on-frame GX and LX SUVs....but an increasing number want a 3rd-row crossover SUV, like with the competing Infiniti QX60. Still, 3rd-row seat or not, a lot of new RX models can be expected to go out the door......indeed, based on what I saw this morning, a lot of salespeople and dealerships will make a lot of money selling them (so should Lexus itself, of course).

Perhaps it's to be expected, since the RX is a higher-grade vehicle than the NX, with generally higher prices, but I want to note that Lexus, IMO, seemed to put significantly more effort into the design and materials, and especially into road manners and drivetrain, than on the NX with its more-basic materials and higher levels of wind noise. That's not to say that the NX is a bad vehicle by any means, but driving it is a noticeably less-refined experience than in the new RX. After reviewing both of them, if it were my money, I'd pay a little more and get the RX....especially a lower-line model like this one that ran in the mid-40s on the price. But, that doesn't mean that NX buyers should feel short-changed.....the NX is less expensive, more maneuverable, has a shorter turning radius, gets better gas mileage, and is easier to park than the larger RX.

The new RX also competes well against the newly-released Lincoln MKX, though I generally prefer the MKX's styling inside and out. Both use nice materials inside (the hardware on the new RX feels a little more solid), but the MKX has the quirky push-button transmission controls that are becoming standard on all new Lincolns. The MKX does not offer a mildly sport-oriented version like the new RX F-Sport does. Neither does the MKX offer a hybrid like the RX, though the MKX does offer a much more powerful turbo 2.7L V6, which significantly out-powers all versions of the RX.

Besides the MKX, the new RX also seems to compete well against other mid-sized luxury crossover SUVs....though, as mentioned earlier, it lacks the Infiniti QX60's 3rd-row seat. But the QX60 is stuck with a CVT transmission that, while flexible and economical, has questionable durability compared to the RX's conventional automatics. I've tested most of the RX's other competitors (the LR-4 is an exception), but not always the latest versions of some of them.....and, of course, we're still waiting for Cadillac's new XT5 entry in this field, due next year. I plan to review that, and see how that one compares.

In the meantime, the RX has been satisfying a lot of customers for the better part of 20 years, and, like the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord, will probably still be satisfying more customers 20 years from now. But, if you want a new RX, unless you need a new vehicle immediately I'd recommend waiting a little while until the initial new-model hype wears off a little, and then go see if you can find one (or order one, if possible) to your liking. That way, you can go to a Lexus shop and not have to deal with a zoo or bazaar-type atmosphere....and you might also get more off of list price.

And, with this review, to everyone in the forum and my review mailing-list........Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays.

And, as always......Happy car-shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-12-15 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-12-15, 09:35 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

RX450h F-Sport comes in AWD only, not standard FWD as you noted.

Also doesn't compete against the Mercedes-Benz GL, unless you left off the E in the newly named GLE. (Former ML). And LR4 competes more directly with the GX.

For the automatic hatch opening, I'd argue the sweeping a leg under the hatch while carrying something large/heavy is sometimes more difficult than just standing in close proximity to the sensor for a little bit. Having to stay/hover over the sensor itself with the Lexus, and then having to backup and get out of the way of the door isn't quite as good as just being able to stand off to the side as some of the other competitive models.
Old 11-12-15, 09:52 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice review Mike - and Merry Christmas to you!

With the RX, I don't understand using a design that gives such horrible rearward visibility....i mean this is a big SUV.....for families.....not some sports car.

Looks over functionality?
Old 11-12-15, 10:16 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks for the review!!

Ed
Old 11-12-15, 10:19 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell

With the RX, I don't understand using a design that gives such horrible rearward visibility....i mean this is a big SUV.....for families.....not some sports car.

The question is what did the Lexus research and focus groups say the preference was--style or practicality? I think this gives you the answer. Practical is for Highlander; style is or RX.
Old 11-12-15, 10:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
RX450h F-Sport comes in AWD only, not standard FWD as you noted.
This is from the official web site. it clearly refers to a 450h F-Sport FWD. Of course, it's possible the web-site's wrong....I've seen it on Kia sites a couple of times.

http://www.lexus.com/models/RX-hybri...rt#performance

DRIVETRAIN / RX 450h F SPORT

DRIVE WHEELS
Front-wheel drive

Also doesn't compete against the Mercedes-Benz GL, unless you left off the E in the newly named GLE. (Former ML).
Actually the RX would probably compete somewhere between the older GL and GLK, but since Mercedes renamed their SV lineup and changed some of their designs/platforms, yes, it does complicate things a bit.

In the review, however, I did change GL to a (questionable) GLE, at your suggestion. Thanks.

LR4 competes more directly with the GX
True to an extent (in terms of being off-road-capable), but with the LR-4, I also took price into consideration, not just in terms of being a mountain-goat, because relatively few SUV owners, even wit off-road-capable machines, actually do go off road. The Jeep Wrangler is an exception....many of those owners DO regularly venture off-pavement. I also thought that the Land Rover Evoq was physically too small to list as an RX competitor, which is another reason I said the LR-4. Just my perspective, of course.....but thanks for the suggestion.

For the automatic hatch opening, I'd argue the sweeping a leg under the hatch while carrying something large/heavy is sometimes more difficult than just standing in close proximity to the sensor for a little bit. Having to stay/hover over the sensor itself with the Lexus, and then having to backup and get out of the way of the door isn't quite as good as just being able to stand off to the side as some of the other competitive models.
I'll agree with you on that part, but my point was that, in my view, it is usually easier, if both of your hands are full, to use the Ford/Mercedes leg-sweep system than to have to drop things and run your hand on or near the "L" sensor.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-12-15 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-12-15, 11:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell

It's the old form-vs.-function question, which has plagued the auto industry for many years. I'm with you in the view that some styling features on the new RX are gimmicks, but that certainly doesn't seem to be stopping sales....at least as of now, they are flying off the lots. And, like it or not, there are those who disagree with your view and mine.....and we have to respect their views. You have a good point that there are other, more traditionally-styled mid-sized SUVs on the market if one desires box-type space efficiency and outward visibility......the Honda Pilot and Toyota highlander, as tex2670 notes, note, come to mind.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-12-15 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-12-15, 11:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SC300Es
Thanks for the review!!

Ed
Anytime. Hope you enjoyed it.
Old 11-12-15, 11:16 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to write up the review.

I'm not sure about the RX450h F Sport in AWD. The product information spec sheet lists the F Sport as AWD only, but the Lexus site, as you noted, shows it with available FWD.

pressroom.lexus.com/releases/lexus+2016+rx+450h+product+specs.download

I've seen errors in both the Lexus web site and in the product info sheets before, so who knows? (Lexus.com still publishes incorrect EPA numbers for the IS).
Old 11-12-15, 11:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Thanks for taking the time to write up the review.
Hope you enjoyed it. The annual holiday review is one I especially put a lot of time and effort into....often of a new or redesigned Lexus product.

I'm not sure about the RX450h F Sport in AWD. The product information spec sheet lists the F Sport as AWD only, but the Lexus site, as you noted, shows it with available FWD.

pressroom.lexus.com/releases/lexus+2016+rx+450h+product+specs.download

I've seen errors in both the Lexus web site and in the product info sheets before, so who knows? (Lexus.com still publishes incorrect EPA numbers for the IS).

Thanks. I'm going to leave it as it is for now. Like I told pbm317, if Lexus got the specs wrong on their web-site, it's on them, not us. Besides, I think the average F-Sport buyer is going to be careful enough to check out what he or she is actually getting. One does not (or should not) simply plunk down 50 or 60K idly.
Old 11-12-15, 11:33 AM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have owned both Lexus RX450H and Mercedes Ml350, personally, I don't think they are in same league at all.
ML has GX like build and driving quality. RX is not in that level.
Old 11-12-15, 11:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sears1234
I have owned both Lexus RX450H and Mercedes Ml350, personally, I don't think they are in same league at all.
ML has GX like build and driving quality. RX is not in that level.
Your view and experience respected, but have you driven a new 2016 RX? It is quite impressive on the road....and is also screwed together pretty tightly.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-12-15 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-12-15, 02:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don't plan on more full-reviews this year, though, if possible, I still need to do a new Miata test-drive with a 6-speed manual. When I did (and posted) my new Miata static-review earlier this year, all of the new 6-speeds were pre-sold...only a few automatics were available. IMO, and that of most of the car's fans, an automatic Miata is a waste of time. Even in heavy traffic, this car just begs for a conventional manual.
Old 11-12-15, 02:31 PM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you for the very thorough review. Great job!
Old 11-12-15, 02:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksun
Thank you for the very thorough review. Great job!
Glad you enjoyed it.

Quick Reply: MM Annual Holiday Full-Review: 2016 Lexus RX