Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis G90 reviews and news

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-15, 09:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I like that they aren't afraid to put some chrome on their cars. Something that I think is lacking from a lot of cars nowadays, a little trim.
I'm with you on that....I also like chrome, as long as it isn't excessive (like, say, something out of the late 1950s). But the auto press, in general, doesn't like chrome. They consider it in the same class as whitewall tires and vinyl roofs....retro stuff from half a century ago, on Grandpa's car. And, in general, in today's climate, the auto press has a very strong influence on design.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-27-15 at 07:35 AM.
Old 11-26-15, 10:11 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317

See when Jaguar did those tail lights in the XJ, the three lights were to represent claw marks, you know, from a Jaguar.

Genesis G90 reviews and news-fkdrkel.jpg

Hyundai's copy is a bit comical in that context.
Old 11-27-15, 01:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

this car looks pretty good!
Old 11-27-15, 07:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Hyundai's copy is a bit comical in that context.
I agree the front and rear ends are somewhat of a copy, but you can't say that for the roofline. The Hyundai version has vastly different C/D pillars, and looks like it would probably have more headroom and easier entry/exit from the rear seat.
Old 11-27-15, 07:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

What do you feel the front end is a copy of? Looks a lot like the Genesis IMHO.
Old 11-27-15, 07:48 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree the front and rear ends are somewhat of a copy, but you can't say that for the roofline. The Hyundai version has vastly different C/D pillars, and looks like it would probably have more headroom and easier entry/exit from the rear seat.
I didn't say anything about the roofline, only the tail lights.

The roofline itself is rather generic, it's on everything from the Chrysler 300 to the Bentley Mulsanne.
Old 11-27-15, 08:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I didn't say anything about the roofline, only the tail lights.
Agreed on the taillights....they do seem to be a copy. But with so many different vehicles over the years and in the present market, it's really difficult to design anything today that doesn't look like SOMEBODY else, somewhere.

The roofline itself is rather generic, it's on everything from the Chrysler 300 to the Bentley Mulsanne.
That's probably because it works.
Old 11-28-15, 07:55 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

I often cheer for the underdog - which is what I did with Lexus for many years. We all know how so many people criticized Lexus for copying designs (Mercedes, BMW especially with the 2007 LS) and for this and that - but we also knew how great Lexus was/is as a brand. Now I'm doing (and have been for awhile now) the same for Hyundai and their Genesis Motors brand. I've had a lot of nice cars throughout the years and my 2015 Genesis Sedan is just about every bit as good as them. It's not "right up there" but only the pickiest people will know the difference. Corners need to be cut to bring a car like mine at a price point where I can buy it for $37k out the door. That was for a V6 with Signature package - an amazing deal. These are excellent automobiles and they're only going to get better...
Old 11-28-15, 08:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Welcome back, Sal. Haven't seen you post here for years....though I saw your signature in some of the Hyundai and Buick forums.

You're right on on about the 2015 Genesis. It's arguably the most impressive sedan Hyundai has ever done...especially the 5.0L. My pastor has a 3.8L, and he loves it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-28-15 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-28-15, 10:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Default Genesis G90 Concept Rendering - That didn't take long

The Genesis is a great car...I'm rooting for Hyundai too.
Old 11-28-15, 11:04 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Welcome back, Sal. Haven't seen you post here for years....though I saw your signature in some of the Hyundai and Buick forums.

You're right on on about the 2015 Genesis. It's arguably the most impressive sedan Hyundai has ever done...especially the 5.0L. My pastor has a 3.8L, and he loves it.
Thank you. I pop in every now and then to see what's going on with the next LS and if it'll be worth buying. I wish they'd update that old drivetrain. There are a few low points about the Genesis Sedan which I go over HERE. But overall - it's a great luxury sedan and I bet my little complaints will be taken care of once the G80 hits showroom floors...
Old 11-28-15, 03:21 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
I often cheer for the underdog - which is what I did with Lexus for many years. We all know how so many people criticized Lexus for copying designs (Mercedes, BMW especially with the 2007 LS) and for this and that - but we also knew how great Lexus was/is as a brand. Now I'm doing (and have been for awhile now) the same for Hyundai and their Genesis Motors brand. I've had a lot of nice cars throughout the years and my 2015 Genesis Sedan is just about every bit as good as them. It's not "right up there" but only the pickiest people will know the difference. Corners need to be cut to bring a car like mine at a price point where I can buy it for $37k out the door. That was for a V6 with Signature package - an amazing deal. These are excellent automobiles and they're only going to get better...
Sorry but who did the 2007 LS copy?
Old 11-28-15, 03:23 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry but who did the 2007 LS copy?
7-Series in the rear. Not up for a debate about it so if you don't agree that's wonderful.
Old 11-28-15, 03:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Default Genesis G90 Concept Rendering - That didn't take long

I don't see that...
Old 11-28-15, 03:55 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I don't see that...
It's alright, I'm sure I'm the only one.

If I remember correctly the Internet was exploding with references to the bangle butt.

Quick Reply: Genesis G90 reviews and news