Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Land Rover's Evoque Convertible is the drop-top crossover you never knew you wanted

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-15, 05:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The EPA doesn't do any rollover tests, or crash testing or vehicle safety testing of any kind. They are the Environmental Protection Agency.

Sorry...a typo (Thanks for the catch) I obviously meant DOT/NHTSA.

(we talk so much about EPA mileage that it's easy to get alphabet-soup confused sometimes LOL)
Old 11-10-15, 05:17 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Stupid. I think its a shame to see Range Rover chasing such frivolous vehicles.

Its kind of like Tumi luggage. For years they built very high quality, well made, go anywhere luggage that was attractive, classy, warrantied forever. Now they've done away with the lifetime warranty and they have all this ridiculous looking "style" luggage. I asked a salesperson in a Tumi store a few months ago what their deal was and he said "Tumi is now a lifestyle brand, not a luggage brand". No thanks...if I wanted a "stylish" piece of luggage I'd buy something else.

Kind of whats happening to Land Rover here IMHO...

I'm a grown *** man, I'm not going to walk through the airport pulling this:

Nor am I going to drive there in that.
Some people want to be understated and not stand out and some people want to stand out. Whats wrong with that?

Don't tell me Tumi doesn't have an option for someone of your tastes.
Old 11-10-15, 05:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Some people want to be understated and not stand out and some people want to stand out. Whats wrong with that?
Anybody who buys a Range Rover wants to stand out. They command attention. The issue is when a brand already has an established reputation, style and demographic and they all of a sudden start abandoning that to chase something else. Having something like this on the road changes the statement having any Land Rover or Range Rover makes...thats the issue.

Land Rover has always been about those Discoverys out in the African jungle. Range Rover has always been about tough, go anywhere serious British luxury. This is...basically a car that appeals to as someone else put it, a MINI buyer that wants to sit up higher. I think overall they risk diluting their brand and turning away their established customers by chasing frivolous niche vehicles like this.

Was always a brand that put form and function over style, and that became their style and their brand. This vehicle is all about style over function and thats at odds with their mission IMHO.

Don't tell me Tumi doesn't have an option for someone of your tastes.
Sure they do, but since they did away with the main thing that appealed to me as a traveler which was the lifetime warranty I'll pay half as much for a similar Briggs and Riley bag and have that warranty. This is off topic, but many serious travelers feel the same way.
Old 11-11-15, 11:38 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is not like they stopped making those manly command vehicles. This Evoque (both versions) were made to woo the SO, not the man.
Old 11-11-15, 11:40 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Or the money-making woman who wants a fun car.
Old 11-11-15, 11:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chikoo
It is not like they stopped making those manly command vehicles. This Evoque (both versions) were made to woo the SO, not the man.
Thats the problem with going against your brand. These vehicles running around change the perception of the "manly command vehicles". If somebody is say the sort of person who would buy a Range Rover or Range Rover Sport and when they think of "Range Rover" they think of this vehicle, instead of those vehicles...they may perhaps not decide to purchase that vehicle.

Its the same argument against any luxury brand going downmarket. Having a bunch of $30,000 CLAs out running around or A Classes or B Classes hurts the prestige of the brand overall, which makes it harder to sell $120,000 S550s.

Especially in the luxury space, you can't chase every corner of the market and become too mainstream, or get out doing things outside your niche without risking the value of your brand. You see brands throughout the luxury space in different industries that have had this happen. Coach. Michael Kors. Tumi. Louis Vuitton. Louis Vuitton has actually been raising prices because they're trying to get the volume of their products down. Pretty interesting.

Good example is Rolex. They could make a killing selling $1,000 watches. Why don't they do that? Why don't they start selling bright, colorful workout watches? I'm sure there would be lots of people that would pay $1,000 for a Rolex workout watch. Even $5,000. Why don't they do that? Because they do what they do and they do it very well.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-11-15 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-11-15, 01:11 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

These vehicles running around change the perception of the "manly command vehicles".
The Queen disagrees.

Old 11-11-15, 01:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The Queen disagrees.
The queen is more manly than a lot of men LOL
Old 02-08-18, 05:01 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Actually saw one in the wild today. Yikes.

Bonus points if you understand their personalized plate.
Old 02-09-18, 08:46 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mazinger
reminds me of this failed product

My sister in law had one of these and absolutely loved it, her kids especially so on sunny days. It was a chore getting the back part off though.