Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Mercedes E Class

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-16, 08:51 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Better than the S Class? Nowhere close.
Factor in price though, is the S-class worth the extra $50k???
Old 07-29-16, 08:57 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Saw my first one on the road today and wasn't impressed at all. It looked exactly like the C and S class, which has been seen for years already. Zero excitement for a new model. Maybe one has to be a Mercedes enthusiast to really know the difference in details. But I'd say that is risky marketing to only rely on Mercedes enthusiasts to buy your cars. So basically for the bulk of the Mercedes sedan line-up, they only offer three cars: The CLA and CLS clan and the C, E, and S class. Three cars is not enough diversity compared to the other brands.
Old 07-29-16, 09:14 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ Not enough choices for sedans, they offer 5 different cars with 4 doors and a trunk. Really? Audi offers 5 sedans counting the A7, Cadillac offers 3 sedans, Lexus offers 3 sedans, BMW, if you count the 4 and 6 series gran coupe as a sedan does offer 5 different cars with 4 doors and a traditional trunk.

I will agree that the C, E and S all look way too similar. Especially considering how much in size the C-class has crept up in size. Its not like the 80's where a 190e looked like the dinghy for the 560SEL, As for excitement, this car is designed to be boring and blend in, that's what its owners love. If you want something flashy, go buy an Audi S6/S7, a GS350 with its gaping mawl, or a CLS Benz.
Old 07-29-16, 09:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
When you get into that sort of class "value" becomes a relative term. Lets put it this way...I'd love to have an S Class, I have no interest in an E Class after having sat in it.

The S Class is more of everything, way more prestige and panache, much better interior, much better room, better ride, better performance. Is all of that worth $50k? To somebody willing to buy a $100-120k car probably.
Old 07-29-16, 10:29 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

When you get into that sort of class "value" becomes a relative term. Lets put it this way...I'd love to have an S Class, I have no interest in an E Class after having sat in it.

The S Class is more of everything, way more prestige and panache, much better interior, much better room, better ride, better performance. Is all of that worth $50k? To somebody willing to buy a $100-120k car probably.
but the S doesn't have 64 different colors of ambient lighting

Until the refreshed S comes out next year, there are areas that the E has it beat such as lot of the active safety features. Granted, I agree with you that people will be willing to pay the 50K for the extra presence of the S.
Old 07-29-16, 10:30 PM
RXSF

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Saw my first one on the road today and wasn't impressed at all. It looked exactly like the C and S class, which has been seen for years already. Zero excitement for a new model. Maybe one has to be a Mercedes enthusiast to really know the difference in details. But I'd say that is risky marketing to only rely on Mercedes enthusiasts to buy your cars. So basically for the bulk of the Mercedes sedan line-up, they only offer three cars: The CLA and CLS clan and the C, E, and S class. Three cars is not enough diversity compared to the other brands.
In my experience, non MB enthusiasts, but mainly non car enthusiasts, couldn't tell the difference before anyways when they did look different.
Old 07-30-16, 02:34 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

right on! And to me, yes it worth the extra 50k.

I love the S class and was thinking getting a S63 next, but the recent C and E class looking so similar to S really
put me off...... Making them look the same is good for C and E owners, but not S owners. But I guess MB sells more
C and E so it's good for them :/
Old 07-30-16, 02:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I saw a new E in the wild today, immediately thought it was a C. Took some real concentrated looking to determine it was an E.
Old 07-30-16, 03:17 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

That's what I thought.
Must look twice to identify it as an E.

However when I do look hard, I find that C is actually more stylish, and the E looks too conservative & old fashioned with perhaps a more prominent mid-line crease on the bonnet, a larger grill to headlight ratio, integrated left center and right front skirt intakes, and the more conservative shape of E's tail light lenses with sharper upper medial corners.

Like the C, the E looks quite small in person, and is certainly very low, with a low and short trunk deck sloping downwards.
The new rear end styling of the Benz coupes are absolutely terrible.

Last edited by peteharvey; 07-30-16 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-30-16, 07:00 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Yup. The materials in the S class vs the E class are different although the design are for the most part idenical
Old 07-30-16, 11:36 PM
RXSF

Originally Posted by peteharvey
That's what I thought.
Must look twice to identify it as an E.

However when I do look hard, I find that C is actually more stylish, and the E looks too conservative & old fashioned with perhaps a more prominent mid-line crease on the bonnet, a larger grill to headlight ratio, integrated left center and right front skirt intakes, and the more conservative shape of E's tail light lenses with sharper upper medial corners.

Like the C, the E looks quite small in person, and is certainly very low, with a low and short trunk deck sloping downwards.
The new rear end styling of the Benz coupes are absolutely terrible..

I agree I think the E is more stylish and has more attractive details. However, because of the shortened length of the C, it looks truncated. I think that design would look very good in something like the size of a E. The E is really toned down but still attractive in an understated kind of way. However, the plastic flares in the front bumper intake is ugly, just like the new GLC (same designer)
Old 07-31-16, 06:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I agree I think the E is more stylish and has more attractive details. However, because of the shortened length of the C, it looks truncated. I think that design would look very good in something like the size of a E.
i don't think you agree with peteharvey. I think you wrote the opposite lol
Old 07-31-16, 09:13 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

The E's trunk lid is slightly higher & longer than the C, so does indeed look less truncated.
Old 07-31-16, 09:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Yup. The materials in the S class vs the E class are different although the design are for the most part idenical
No more so than the design of the ES, GS and LS dashboards are "identical"
Old 07-31-16, 01:26 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

The secret to the S Class is that it looks similar to, but not almost exactly the same as the C Class.
For an E or S Class to look too similar to the C Class devalues the E & S Class.

Strange, but I think the C looks best.
I like the C's light colored rear underpan diffuser most.

Though E has the neatest, cleanest and most conventional side crease.

S Class's shark fin doesn't look as nice as BMW's nor Lexus' shark fin.
S Class rear diffuser looks old in this company now.

Last edited by peteharvey; 07-31-16 at 03:26 PM.

Quick Reply: 2017 Mercedes E Class