Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Mercedes E Class

Old 03-22-16, 03:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
I've checked the German pricing. Forget about all those autopilot features.
german pricing is likely to be higher than u.s. in europe you have to pay extra for seats. kidding
Old 07-23-16, 11:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Finally got the chance to sit in the new production E-class at Mercedes today.

Overall, I was a little underwhelmed in person. There is no doubt that the new model will make existing owners of the MB brand happy, but at the eye popping MSRP of $71k US I think I would go for something else. It's like a baby S-class but with materials that are nowhere near as nice. I have never understood how MB gets away with such coarse leather in some of their models. This was a US model ES300

The GS has the interior beat by a long shot IMO.
Old 07-23-16, 12:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,800 Posts

That was exactly my feeling...
Old 07-23-16, 03:30 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Finally got the chance to sit in the new production E-class at Mercedes today.

Overall, I was a little underwhelmed in person. There is no doubt that the new model will make existing owners of the MB brand happy, but at the eye popping MSRP of $71k US I think I would go for something else. It's like a baby S-class but with materials that are nowhere near as nice. I have never understood how MB gets away with such coarse leather in some of their models. This was a US model ES300

The GS has the interior beat by a long shot IMO.
The germans get away with it because they can. Lexus is following suit (nuluxe), but still has to provide value by including better quality materials for a lower price.
Old 07-23-16, 04:35 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
The germans get away with it because they can. Lexus is following suit (nuluxe), but still has to provide value by including better quality materials for a lower price.
Tbh I think NuLuxe especially the 3rd iteration of it, is superior to MB-Tex or BMW Leatherette/ Dakota Leather. The German ones are very coarse and rubbery.
Old 07-23-16, 05:22 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ in terms of the actual material, I might agree with you that NuLuxe is softer, but Nuluxe doesn't have the "grain" look to it like actual leather. That is what makes MB-tex so realistic. Also what MB does really well is that they include proper double stitching with it. I can't understand why NuLuxe seams aren't well done, and it always looks like it has a zipper in the back? Also, terrible rear seat design with no stitching or thought.

Old 07-23-16, 06:13 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The NuLuxe I had in my IS had a grain to it.
Old 07-23-16, 10:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus leather itself doesn't have much of a grain to it, never has.
Old 07-24-16, 07:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
Well looking back at other Mercedes models of the past, they seemed to have firmer leather that is more coarse. If it is real or faux leather, I have no idea what was in the E class that I sat in but I would be very disappointed to find out that a $70K luxury car did not offer leather seats. Fake leather should not be offered in any of the top luxury brands.

What the E-Class lacked the most was a sense of warmth.
Old 07-24-16, 03:08 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Well looking back at other Mercedes models of the past, they seemed to have firmer leather that is more coarse. If it is real or faux leather, I have no idea what was in the E class that I sat in but I would be very disappointed to find out that a $70K luxury car did not offer leather seats. Fake leather should not be offered in any of the top luxury brands.

What the E-Class lacked the most was a sense of warmth.
They do offer it, you just need to pay for it. And I've never found Mercedes interiors to be warm- they've come a long way since the pre-2000's austere interiors but they still come off as very German to me (appropriately so). Jaguar used to have the warmest interiors imo but times have clearly changed.
Old 07-24-16, 05:40 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Fake leather should be an option on luxury brands, along with synthetics like Alcantara. Not everyone wants animal hides in cars.
Old 07-24-16, 07:04 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
^^ in terms of the actual material, I might agree with you that NuLuxe is softer, but Nuluxe doesn't have the "grain" look to it like actual leather. That is what makes MB-tex so realistic. Also what MB does really well is that they include proper double stitching with it. I can't understand why NuLuxe seams aren't well done, and it always looks like it has a zipper in the back? Also, terrible rear seat design with no stitching or thought.

I think the CT is a poor example though, that looks like NuLuxe 2nd generation.

Debuted on the IS, I don't believe it has the 'zipper'.

Base 2016 IS200t NuLuxe 3

Old 07-24-16, 07:53 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

3IS does have zipper. Straight from Lexus USA website. Granted it does have good stitching

Old 07-25-16, 06:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

ok, back to the e-class.

seems the reviews are mostly glowing, and no doubt the car will sell in very large numbers for the segment. besides the amg type models, mercedes has focused the car on extreme quiet and comfort and 'helping' the driver. in today's crazy hectic world, i think that's a good focus for its target customer. if you want a sports car, this isn't it.

c&d http://www.caranddriver.com/mercedes-benz/e-class

nice interior!

Old 07-25-16, 07:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ok, back to the e-class.

seems the reviews are mostly glowing, and no doubt the car will sell in very large numbers for the segment. besides the amg type models, mercedes has focused the car on extreme quiet and comfort and 'helping' the driver. in today's crazy hectic world, i think that's a good focus for its target customer. if you want a sports car, this isn't it.

c&d http://www.caranddriver.com/mercedes-benz/e-class

nice interior!
very nice in pictures I agree.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-25-16 at 09:22 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 Mercedes E Class