Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Mercedes E Class

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-15, 07:53 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol you lot are a funny one, you whine when its a tablet screen, you whine when its a one piece binnacle / nav set up. You should all start making your own cars :-D
Old 12-09-15, 10:20 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Upon further investigation I like the standard gauges themselves, just not their integration.
Very audi esque style center screen and the gauges are taken straight out of the C class. I can't stand that the MPH numbers are in increments of 10. It is very hard for me to look down and instantly see what speed I am at. It looks like the digital gages as increments by 20.

Last edited by RXSF; 12-09-15 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-09-15, 11:08 AM
RXSF

gosh, what looks out of place is the column shifter design. Cant believe they changed everything and left that shifter as is from 2007 (didn't it debut on the S class?) Its the remaining part that shares with the Tesla.
Old 12-09-15, 11:19 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I think MB's setup with this big wide screen is more attractive than the other vehicles you mention. None of them by the way offer as large a display or as much information accessible from the driver...I've driven them all.

The S Class is far and away the best selling flagship luxury car despite being the most expensive, but hey, what does MB know? Lol

This car will be the best selling mid sized luxury sedan too, no doubt in my mind.
I like it too.. although in this class, pricing and incentives mean more than interior design. Otherwise current E class would have stopped selling completely few years back.

I cant wait to see the "base" model for Europe, one with mid-spec options and half leather seats.
Old 12-09-15, 11:24 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
gosh, what looks out of place is the column shifter design. Cant believe they changed everything and left that shifter as is from 2007 (didn't it debut on the S class?) Its the remaining part that shares with the Tesla.
It's changed, although not since the W166 ML debut. The original from the W164 ML looks like this:

vs.

Old 12-09-15, 12:18 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I really appreciate the articulate detailing thats been done to the interior. Very nice for a mass produced vehicle.
Old 12-09-15, 12:28 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
I really appreciate the articulate detailing thats been done to the interior. Very nice for a mass produced vehicle.
To be fair these look loaded. I'm sure the common E-Class on lease will be decontented somewhat and be a little more drab, less contrasts
Old 12-09-15, 01:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
The idea with many newer vehicles (though I don't totally agree with it) is to try and get the shifter and hand-brake lever off of the console to free up space for other uses.
Old 12-09-15, 01:13 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The idea with many newer vehicles (though I don't totally agree with it) is to try and get the shifter and hand-brake lever off of the console to free up space for other uses.
Don't believe he's talking about the placement, just the actual shifter itself.
Old 12-09-15, 01:48 PM
RXSF

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Don't believe he's talking about the placement, just the actual shifter itself.
Yep. And either way the design looks dated in an otherwise highly styled interior
Old 12-09-15, 05:06 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Beautiful interior, nothing surprising considering the styling of the C and S class, looks nicest in class, wish for the exterior they would distinguish the E class a little like maybe go back to the quad oval highlights which looked much nicer then the current ones.
Old 12-25-15, 01:45 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You don't? I think it's one of the smartest ideas the industry has had in a long time. Unless you have a MT, there's no point to having the gear shifter sitting there in the center console taking up space. You never touch it in an AT, particularly if you have paddle shifters anyway.

Reading through this thread, I saw that several posters said the C, E, and S have always looked similar. I think that's not quite true. Since the W210, the E has always looked slightly different (quad [W210, W211] or "quad" [W212] headlights), while the C and S have continued to look similar. I'm not really sure why MB did that.

Also, someone mentioned the W212 AMG pre-facelift was RWD and had sporty handling as a positive compared to the W212 AMG post-facelift, which is now AWD only in the US. I can't remember where I read it (possibly even in this thread???), but the AWD version vastly outsells the RWD version in Germany and is faster around the 'Ring, and so they plan to discontinue the RWD version outside of the US as well. I think once you get to a certain level of power, AWD (at least for certain maneuvers) really comes in handy.

Finally, post-facelift LED headlights and taillights are simply gorgeous, IMHO.
Old 12-25-15, 04:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

And they call Lexus boring? The E class is just the most boring, miserable car in premium segment, and that column shifter is for geezers.
Old 12-25-15, 05:01 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

After more than four years of intensive development and testing, the world premiere of the E-Class is on the horizon. The challenging test cycles focus in particular on the technical innovations which make the E-Class the most intelligent executive-class saloon. These features enable a high standard of comfortable, safe driving and enter a new dimension when it comes to relieving the stress on the driver.
Old 12-25-15, 05:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
And they call Lexus boring? The E class is just the most boring, miserable car in premium segment, and that column shifter is for geezers.
Even the old outdated E Class outsells everything else, so it's hard to say that MB doesn't know what they're doing.

This E Class will go 5k units a month easy.

Quick Reply: 2017 Mercedes E Class