Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Mercedes E Class

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-15, 09:16 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

fair points. It still gives prospective buyers hope that they will do something about that awkward tablet nav display. In fact, I prefer how they did it on the CLS, which takes over the entire width of the dash. MB has really done a few things to disappoint me on the 350e which I was planning to get later this year. I just dont know if I can wait another full year for the W213.
Old 03-12-15, 10:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

proportions / body style of the new e class looking very promising.
Old 03-12-15, 03:33 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

i see mercedes is now doing the small medium large other germans are doing
Old 03-12-15, 04:05 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
And if looks don't convince anyone, the naming structure sure will

Old 03-12-15, 04:38 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
Old 03-12-15, 08:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ nice pic, so the diff. sizes same package isn't anything new.
Old 03-15-15, 07:22 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2016 Mercedes-Benz E-Class spied during cold weather testing [video]

Features familiar design

A heavily camouflaged prototype of the next generation Mercedes-Benz E-Class has been caught on camera during a winter test.

Although it's wearing a considerable amount of disguise, it is not hard to image how the new mid-size model from Daimler will look like as its design will be heavily influenced by its brothers, the C and S. We will let you judge whether this is good or bad for the new E which is bound to grow in size to distance itself from the C-Class that itself had to grow to make room for the CLA which now serves as Mercedes-Benz's entry-level sedan.

Even though it's proportions are about to increase, the new E-Class will actually shave off some of the weight thanks to the MRA platform shared with the C. This video doesn't contain any footage of the interior, but previous spy shots have shown a cabin greatly derived from the S-Class while the comfort of rear passengers should grow thanks to what will be a stretched wheelbase.

In terms of engines, there have been some rumors for quite some time indicating the use of newly developed inline-six motors and even a three-cylinder turbocharged gasoline engine powering the base version. Chances are a twin-turbo V8 4.0-liter engine will likely end up in the Mercedes-AMG E63 with an output beyond the 510 HP (375 kW) & 700 Nm (516 lb-ft) available in the C63 S.

There are some rumors suggesting a Maybach version which if green-lighted it will come with an extended wheelbase and a more luxurious cabin featuring individual rear seats.
It is believed the standard sedan will go on sale a year from now and will be followed by a long wheelbase version, as well as estate, coupe and cabriolet derivatives.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11503159...g-cold-weather
Old 03-16-15, 10:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Very interested in this car. I love the S and the C, C is too small for me and the S is too expensive. One of these around $70k might really tickle my fancy.

In fact I'm tempted to extend my GS lease 6 months to see it before I decide.
Old 03-16-15, 04:40 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Reports seem to be indicating this w213 model won't be receiving the new I6 motors until 2017, a year after the model debuts. Bummer if that's true.
Old 03-17-15, 07:12 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Next-gen Mercedes-Benz E-Class returns in 40 more revealing spy shots

Side mirrors exposed

A large test fleet of next generation Mercedes-Benz E-Class prototypes was spotted on its way back from testing in Scandinavia.

It was only yesterday when we published a spy video with the E-Class (W213) and now a batch of prototypes were caught on camera returning from winter testing in Scandinavia. Mercedes-Benz has removed some of the disguise which allows us to take a better look at the design that unsurprisingly will be heavily influenced by its brothers, the C and S.

Upon closer inspection we noticed two different front grille designs, fresh alloys while in some of the photos you can see the trunk is open. The prototypes were carrying production-spec headlights and taillights sporting a familiar design while the side mirrors were completely exposed and showed sleeker turn signals. There is a photo with the front-right door open but unfortunately everything is hidden. However, previous spy shots have shown a dashboard heavily inspired by the S-Class.

Since the C-Class is now bigger than its predecessor, Mercedes-Benz will have to make the E-Class a little bit larger so expect an extended wheelbase which will provide a more generous interior cabin. There also might be a Maybach version with an even longer wheelbase and individual rear seats, just like on the Mercedes-Maybach S-Class.

Riding on the MRA platform, the new E-Class will be lighter than the outgoing model and could be offered with an array of newly developed inline-six engines while the range-topping Mercedes-AMG E63 will probably use a twin-turbo V8 4.0-liter. A plug-in hybrid version is likely in the works as well and could use an adaptation of the hardware installed in the C350e which has a 2.0-liter turbo gasoline engine, an electric motor and a lithium-ion battery. Later during the car's lifespan there might also be a fully electric version, but nothing is official at this point.

The new E-Class Sedan is expected to go on sale approximately 12 months from now and will be joined by the wagon, a long wheelbase sedan, coupe and cabriolet.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11503169...more-revealing

Old 03-17-15, 10:19 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I really like the look of the side crease in the profile in the first pic.

Also the mirror design is kind of a dead giveaway that it will be like the C class...nothing new
Old 03-17-15, 12:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

tow hook in some pics but not all.
Old 03-17-15, 04:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Hopefully you will be able to get AMG appearance packages with the traditional MB grill and hood ornament a'la the S Class.
Old 03-23-15, 10:56 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

2016 Mercedes-Benz E-Class could lose 150 kg; gain 400 bhp straight-six 2.9-liter diesel

122 bhp 1.6 to be entry diesel

New details are starting to emerge about the next generation Mercedes-Benz E-Class (W213) scheduled to come out in 2016.

According to CAR, the upcoming E-Class will lose between 70 - 150 kg (154 - 330 lbs) as a result of making the switch to the modular rear wheel drive architecture (MRA) which makes extensive use of aluminum and is sourced from the smaller C-Class.

Rumors about a straight-six engine surfaced back in November 2013 and according to CAR it will actually happen, with the first one being a 2.9-liter twin-turbodiesel delivering 313 bhp (233 kW). Interestingly, the report also mentions a quad turbo version with two electric turbos and an output in excess of 400 bhp (298 kW).

The most economical diesel will be a newly developed 1.6-liter four-cylinder with 122 bhp (91 kW) allowing the mid-size sedan emit just 99 g/km of CO2. There's also going to be a hybrid mixing up a 2.0-liter engine with an 82 bhp electric motor while the US-spec version is said to receive a beefier V6 3.0-liter teamed up with a 109 bhp electric motor. Europe could also get a PHEV diesel which will be out later during the model's life-cycle.

There aren't any surprises in terms of body styles as Mercedes-Benz will offer the W213 in the same flavors: sedan, long wheelbase sedan, wagon, cabrio, coupe as well as the CLS four-door coupe and CLS Shooting Brake.

The new E-Class will apparently be able to park itself via a smartphone app and it will also boast gesture control, head-up display as well as autopilot-style cruise control which will autonomously steer the car during highway driving.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11503239...se-150-kg-gain
Old 03-23-15, 03:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

straight-six engine
Love it! Very unique and garners attention

Quick Reply: 2017 Mercedes E Class