Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Mercedes E Class

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-16, 09:50 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Looking to purchase by the end of the year. It is frustrating that the sport package models which mostly everyone will yet, cannot come with the MBTex stitching on the dash and door trims...

It is only available with the luxury package with the traditional 3 pointed start on the hood. This is absolutely madness as the C class gets the stitching with the sport package. It completely transforms the interior. Doesnt make sense that the more expensive car cannot get it... Its a US thing too.
Old 07-25-16, 11:49 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Looking to purchase by the end of the year. It is frustrating that the sport package models which mostly everyone will yet, cannot come with the MBTex stitching on the dash and door trims...

It is only available with the luxury package with the traditional 3 pointed start on the hood. This is absolutely madness as the C class gets the stitching with the sport package. It completely transforms the interior. Doesnt make sense that the more expensive car cannot get it... Its a US thing too.
I would hold out another year based on that alone. MBUSA makes running changes after the first year all the time.
Old 07-25-16, 11:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF

at least it's not only Lexus that does weird stuff like that!
Old 07-25-16, 05:10 PM
RXSF

ugh, if I could wait, I really would. for this stitching, and for the inline 6. Alas, I know the best deals are made in December and am planning to place an order soon for December delivery. Wouldn't want to wait another year and a half.
Old 07-25-16, 10:19 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also not a fan of the configuration limitations on the new E-class. They are far too restrictive. BMW used to do the same in its Sport, Luxury, and M Sport lines for the current F30 but people complained so much that they went back to allowing things like brown interiors in sport models and more overlap overall.

Another thing that sucks is that 240 hp I-4 engine. We don't know when more powerful powertrains are coming, and an optioned E300 w/ the 240 hp engine will run you the same cost as the 300 hp variant of the 5-series. I'm amazed saying this but BMW actually offers more value than a competitor. In my opinion the 5er is still better looking and still has a quality and attractive interior for its class. Can't beat the A6 and GS however when it comes to value proposition.
Old 07-28-16, 11:23 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

i personally don't mind the 240 hp because that means i'll be leaving E300s in a cloud of V8 90s dust

but for a car that can cost over $75,000 when optioned a 240 hp 4 cylinder doesn't really seem right
Old 07-28-16, 11:50 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i personally don't mind the 240 hp because that means i'll be leaving E300s in a cloud of V8 90s dust

but for a car that can cost over $75,000 when optioned a 240 hp 4 cylinder doesn't really seem right
Might not want to assume you're going to win that race. The E300 could keep up with your car back when it was new. With your car being as old as it is I'm going to put my money on the Benz.
Old 07-29-16, 04:27 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Might not want to assume you're going to win that race. The E300 could keep up with your car back when it was new. With your car being as old as it is I'm going to put my money on the Benz.

I hate when people assume just because a car is old/has a lot of miles on it that it has lost 100hp since it was new. I've seen guys at the drag strip rip off some great times on stock cars with over 150k on them, never had the engine or transmission opened up on them(C5 Corvette had 230k on it lol and a couple of 4th gen fbodies were getting better times than the old magazine road tests from back in the day). If you maintain your old car, it runs great and has good compression, its going to be making just as much power as when it was new.

As for if that 240hp Benz would beat the 300hp Lexus, in town, off the line, maybe, if the Benz would let you do a hard launch. The transmission in the Benz has more, tighter ratios and can shift faster. On the highway, the extra 60hp in the Lexus would run right past the Benz.
Old 07-29-16, 05:55 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I hate when people assume just because a car is old/has a lot of miles on it that it has lost 100hp since it was new. I've seen guys at the drag strip rip off some great times on stock cars with over 150k on them, never had the engine or transmission opened up on them(C5 Corvette had 230k on it lol and a couple of 4th gen fbodies were getting better times than the old magazine road tests from back in the day). If you maintain your old car, it runs great and has good compression, its going to be making just as much power as when it was new.

As for if that 240hp Benz would beat the 300hp Lexus, in town, off the line, maybe, if the Benz would let you do a hard launch. The transmission in the Benz has more, tighter ratios and can shift faster. On the highway, the extra 60hp in the Lexus would run right past the Benz.
Uh, he mentioned leaving an E300 "in the dust." Seeing as how the acceleration figures are just about even, it would be his game to lose. I wasn't even acting like it lost 100hp, if it was running in anything but tip top shape it'd be a lost race; thanks for the lesson though . And you don't even need to do a hard launch with the Benz (any harder than the Lexus, for that matter), its first few gears are just that short.

I'd be in for the highway race too. I still think they'd be a practical dead heat due to gearing.

Last edited by TangoRed; 07-29-16 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-29-16, 07:51 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

I sat in the all new E Class the other day.
First off, the exterior looks almost indistinguishable from the C Class, and I can understand this may put some people off.
In the show room, at first I couldn't tell whether it an a C or E Class.
The new E sports 20" wheels now.

I sat in the front, and the dash and door trims etc, is not as good in person, as it is in the photos.
I'm worried about the functionality of the new touch sensitive pads on the left and right spokes of the new E Class's steering wheel.
Benz does have a lovely lid that opens to reveal not only two cup holders, but the ashtray as well.
Small point, but the E Class' seat adjustment is on the door trims, and we must actually look at it to operate it, whereas the seat adjustment controls on GS is such that blind Freddy can use it.

The rear of the E is where it is really disappointing.
Despite the E Class sporting a wheelbase that is longer than ever, the most spacious E Class was actually the 1995-2002 E Class with a boxy shape and boring four oval headlights.
The new E really lacks cabin height in the rear, and it really lacks rear leg room!
The good news is that E Class rear foot room is excellent.

Then the plastics in the rear are so cheap.
The leather on the rear seats, and the leather on the back of the front seats are so cheap.
The backrests are so thin and cheap.
Fold down the rear center armrest and it is so thin and cheap.
The back of the front center console with vents for the rear passengers looks so cheap.
The front cabin of the new E Class is actually better excecuted, so that it doesn't feel so cheap.

Open the trunk, and it's shallower than ever.

I was going to changeover from GS to E, but I will just hold off for now, and I must actually test drive it first.
Old 07-29-16, 08:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
! hate when people assume just because a car is old/has a lot of miles on it that it has lost 100hp since it was new.
Also bear in mind that the UZFE engine line is one of the best engineered engines ever made. Yes engines loose power as they age, but I would bet money that engine has lost less power than almost any other 17 year old engine built around the same timeframe.

Tolerances in that engine are incredibly tight.

An E300 might beat it in a drag race, but that old V8 in his LS400 is going to provide a much smoother and more rewarding driving experience by a significant margin.
Old 07-29-16, 08:24 PM
RXSF

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The new E sports 20" wheels now.
I think 18"s are standard and 19s are optional. Also, if you are an MB aficionado, you should be able to tell the difference. Front headlights are a dead give away, no dropping line in the side profile, and the tail light design is different from the C and the S, which uses LED light tubes
Old 07-29-16, 08:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

saw a video recently asking if the new E class interior was better than the S class. A buddy called me this afternoon and told me he is going to order a new one soon. He was excited to say the least
Old 07-29-16, 08:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
saw a video recently asking if the new E class interior was better than the S class. A buddy called me this afternoon and told me he is going to order a new one soon. He was excited to say the least
Better than the S Class? Nowhere close.
Old 07-29-16, 08:47 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS

An E300 might beat it in a drag race, but that old V8 in his LS400 is going to provide a much smoother and more rewarding driving experience by a significant margin.
Now that's something we can agree on. I am no fan of these turbo 4's from a refinement standpoint. I couldn't even stand the 718 Cayman.

Quick Reply: 2017 Mercedes E Class