Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Got a ticket for having fog light on in my RX350!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-15, 02:28 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Sorry to hear that! Usually no one cares about fog lights but I guess the cop needed to meet his quota.

https://www.legis.la.gov/Legis/Law.aspx?p=y&d=88264

RS 32:322 Section D:
" An SAE study has shown that in the United States more people inappropriately use their fog lamps in dry weather than use them properly in poor weather.[16] Because of this, use of the fog lamps when visibility is not seriously reduced is often prohibited in most jurisdictions"

Look like i need to turn off my fog light switch. I always have it on along with the headlight.
Old 11-04-15, 02:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

What a total piece of **** .I cant believe they did that. Its literally highway robbery . And then they wonder why nobody likes cops.
Old 11-04-15, 02:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Very likely a quota ticket. But seriously - why you would drive with fog lamps on when not in the fog? I am pretty certain this is illegal in a lot of states....
Originally Posted by Sulu
I seem to remember hearing years ago that the rules of the road here in Ontario stated that unless conditions were poor, only 1 set of lights -- either headlights or auxiliary lights but not both at the same time -- could be used.

I do agree with gengar. Why would you drive with fog lamps on when not in the fog? When driving in generally well-lit urban areas, the use of 2 sets of lights is overkill and can be terribly distracting (even blinding) to on-coming drivers. Here in urban Canada, driving with 2 sets of lights on is worse than drivers who forget to turn on their lights, IMO, and that is because for those who forget to turn on their lights, at least they have daytime running lamps (DRL), and the new LED DRLs can be quite bright.
who the hell drives without them?? I always have them on 100% of the time. Its easier to see the road closer to the car and it looks nicer too.
Old 11-04-15, 03:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

As already pointed out, fog-light use in dry weather is outlawed in some states. And, in my ownership experience with three vehicles that had OEM fog-lights (IS300, Outback, Verano) none of them, IMO, really made much difference in visibility. They give a little more light to the area very close to the front/sides of the car, and (seemingly) little else.
Old 11-04-15, 03:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts
Default Got a ticket for having fog light on in my RX350!!!!!!

My fog lights will remain on lol
Old 11-04-15, 03:28 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I've never heard of someone getting a ticket for this. Learned something new today...

The only vehicle I've ever frequently used the factory fogs on was my Tacoma. The headlights are quite high off the ground, so in inclement weather the fogs really did a good job of putting light closer to the road. There was a very noticeable difference with them.

I don't use them on either my RX or my IS. They're not bright enough to do anything and the color output doesn't match the headlights, so the yellowish glow looks silly with the HIDs on my RX and LEDs on my IS.
Old 11-04-15, 03:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
I don't use them on either my RX or my IS. They're not bright enough to do anything
That was basically the case on my old IS300, too...though your IS is probably newer than mine and has better lights. But if you don't find them worth using on your newer IS, either, then that says something.
Old 11-04-15, 04:01 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

tell the judge you forgot to turn them off after the last time it rained.i would be suprised if they dont just drop the ticket.
Old 11-04-15, 04:24 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Why would I want to drive with less light projected onto the road, rather than more light?
... probably for the same reason people don't drive around everywhere with their high beams on.
Old 11-04-15, 04:40 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't do it anymore since my last M-sport 7 doesn't even have fog lights, so now my new car has fogs I don't use it anymore. And BMW makes you to press fog light switch every time after restart the car, makes it more complicate to do, while I remember all my Lexus fogs can be set to turn on with the headlights.
Old 11-04-15, 05:09 PM
clickart
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went to the state trooper office this morning to request speaking to the supervisor to see if I can just pay the fine and make it as a non-moving violation. They told me no and I have to wait to go to court.

The fog light is stock from factory. I was driving in a country road with no street lights on a cloudy night. I rather have a fog light on in this situation to have a better visibility. Last thing I want to do is hit a deer with my baby in the back seat.

I might tell the judge that I forgot to turn it off from the last rain.
Old 11-04-15, 05:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by clickart
I might tell the judge that I forgot to turn it off from the last rain.
In Louisiana's wet subtropical climate, it rains so much that you just might get away with that claim.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-04-15 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-04-15, 05:58 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
... probably for the same reason people don't drive around everywhere with their high beams on.
oh common, you can't use that logic. fog lights light things up at the ground level and may actually be beneficial to others on the road. high beams are another story
Old 11-04-15, 07:33 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

damn cops... find that trooper, install fog lights on his car without him knowing, join the police, then pull HIM over lol

seriously what a load of BS, i got pulled over driving my friend's leased infiniti q40 and after being screamed at by the "officer" for doing 47 in a 40 (used to be a 45 but the town made it a 40 over the spring) all because i floored it away from the light so i "must've" been in some huge rush to get somewhere... anyway after i got an "unsafe start" and "speed not reasonable and prudent" (which btw she said i was doing 60 in a 40, conveniently EXACTLY 20 over...) she wrote a ticket for a tinted WINDSHIELD! not only was it at night, nor did she use any sort of measuring equipment, the car is brand new straight from the dealer and didn't have any tints.

total idiot. she saw two white bois in their white boi car at 1am and felt the need to hassle them because her night was boring.
Old 11-04-15, 11:54 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
oh common, you can't use that logic. fog lights light things up at the ground level and may actually be beneficial to others on the road. high beams are another story
I wasn't the one using bad logic.

Quick Reply: Got a ticket for having fog light on in my RX350!!!!!!